Help Can't get Techstream to function (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another member bought his cable here and got it to work:
New Mini VCI J2534 OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Code Reader for Lexus Toyota Techstream | eBay
I've got a 2003 LX470 so after reading that seller's info(mine is older than the other members) bought the other cable with K-line support(whatever that is):
Original Mini VCI Diagnostic Cable OBD for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream fw 2.0.4 | eBay

I followed the installation instructions perfectly I thought. Loaded drivers, used their registry patch etc...
I'm not sure what those cryptic instructions meant. I checked and I did have the added Com port and USB Serial Convertor
At first I left it as Com3 as you can see. Later I changed it to Com 139 to match their picture but it didn't help. It initially had me as a "corporate user" as default. I tried switching that to "Dealer 1" as the instructions sort of suggested. Still didn't work. Here are the symptoms:
The firmware updater seems to recognize the cable properly and notes the firmware as version 2.0.4. Techstream knows it's connected as well because it will give an error early on if I don't have it plugged into the USB port. After using either the manual or automatic method to choose the vehicle and with the ignition on or even the car running I get this:
It can't seem to find any system. If I choose a system and hit the green arrow I get this:
Funny thing is that if I run this same test with the 16 pin connector completely disconnected from the vehicle but with the USB connected I get the same results. It's like the socket is dead in my car. I ran the cable check utility(requires cable to me hooked to vehicle) and got this:
But again it's the same regardless if it's connected to the vehicle or not. The light on the cable is orange and goes red occasionally as it's trying to sync. But I'm beginning to think there is something physically wrong with the cable somehow. Is their another port under the hood somewhere I can plug this same cable into? That would eliminate the port by the accelerator pedal that I am currently using as a potential problem. Does anyone have any other ideas on software tweaks? I first installed the 32bit software on a WIndows XP laptop. Then I installed the 64bit software on a Windows 7 professional desktop. Same exact results. This is holding up the hold project. Thanks for your help!

According to the TIS Known bugs list (google: Techstream Known Bugs) for version 12.00.125 there is a design limitation where the software "cannot connect using generic OBD11 (the under dash connector DLC3) that's "applicable to all vehicles using the mongoose VIM" (and cloned copies I suspect). Possible this is the root of your problem.

I'm not familiar with the specific product you installed, but willing to work with you to get it straightened out.

You are using a 32 bit laptop as your preferred computer - yes?

What version of TIS are you installing?

I seems like they sent you both 32 and 64 bit drivers - true, or did you get instructions on how to use 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit machine?

I'm not familiar with the specific product you installed, but willing to work with you to get it straightened out.

You are using a 32 bit laptop as your preferred computer - yes?

What version of TIS are you installing?

I seems like they sent you both 32 and 64 bit drivers - true, or did you get instructions on how to use 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit machine?
It came with 64bit drivers and a link to download the entire 32 bit software package including techstream. I would prefer the laptop. Both TIS installs are version 12.00.125 followed by the number 10212

According to the TIS Known bugs list (google: Techstream Known Bugs) for version 12.00.125 there is a design limitation where the software "cannot connect using generic OBD11 (the under dash connector DLC3) that's "applicable to all vehicles using the mongoose VIM" (and cloned copies I suspect). Possible this is the root of your problem.
That doesn't sound good. Is there a work around or another version of techstream to download somewhere?

you can download a legal copy of 12.00.127 from the European Toyota website here. Don't know for sure, but suspect whatever hack you use for 12.00.125 would also work on 127. Can't say our stuff is the same, but I can say 127 works using one of the generic 2.01 cables on both a 2000 LX and a 2017 LC.

I have old 32bit drivers for the cables, but my cables were all firmware version 1.4.3. I can provide you with 64 bit drivers that I know work. Send me a PM with an e-mail address if you think sending anything would help.

Alternately, where are you in Florida? If not too far from me maybe we could meet and try out each others cables/software to determine exactly the problem. If too far, I'm willing to let you try out a known working cable (but with 1.4.3 firmware) for the cost of mailing it.

you can download a legal copy of 12.00.127 from the European Toyota website here. Don't know for sure, but suspect whatever hack you use for 12.00.125 would also work on 127. Can't say our stuff is the same, but I can say 127 works using one of the generic 2.01 cables on both a 2000 LX and a 2017 LC.

I have old 32bit drivers for the cables, but my cables were all firmware version 1.4.3. I can provide you with 64 bit drivers that I know work. Send me a PM with an e-mail address if you think sending anything would help.

Alternately, where are you in Florida? If not too far from me maybe we could meet and try out each others cables/software to determine exactly the problem. If too far, I'm willing to let you try out a known working cable (but with 1.4.3 firmware) for the cost of mailing it.
I'm in Tampa Bay Florida. Where are you? I'm going to try that software you suggested first. But if all else fails it would be great to try your cable. Thanks.

That software is the real deal and requires access codes. The software that came with the cable replaces specific files and makes special changes to the registry. I'm not sure I can use that with the Euro software there. Maybe someone on this site has a copy of an older version of techstream with its install package they received from their cable seller.

MattSEG: that's the whole problem. Most posts are older so the links are bad. The cables look the same but it's not that easy. Check out:
FINALLY got Techstream to work!
He's making the cable there work. But I have and older vehicle so I got the other cable which as you can see doesn't work. What year and make do you have?

I'm in Tampa Bay Florida. Where are you? I'm going to try that software you suggested first. But if all else fails it would be great to try your cable. Thanks.
'
That software is the real deal and requires access codes. The software that came with the cable replaces specific files and makes special changes to the registry. I'm not sure I can use that with the Euro software there. Maybe someone on this site has a copy of an older version of techstream with its install package they received from their cable seller.

I'm on the opposite coast so probably 4 hours drive away (Melbourne area if you look on a map). The software all the vendors provide is usually the real deal. I was suggesting using the new Euro version and doing to it whatever your vendor had you do to v125. If the routine had you replacing mainmenu.exe then I think the new version would respond the same way.

Most problems people have had is either a defective cable or some error in the installation of the cable driver software and not the TIS software. But given Paddo's post I thought it might be worth trying another version of the software.

I have a version of TIS 10.30.029 that has 32 bit drivers for the cable, but since I have been running the 64 bit driver software for a long time I can't verify that they work.

Sending you a PM.

Purchased the following cable from ebay - $16

Latest Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream

and used this link to install it on my 64bit Win 7 laptop - (Follow the instructions Exactly)

Techstream TIS VCI Installation Guide (64-bit OS) Including All Software Needed! - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

Finally, updated to techstream version 12.00.127 from this site

Free Download Toyota TIS Techstream 12.00.127 Crack 100% Working No Need Atcivation | OBDII365.com Official Blog

All is working perfect - installation of the drivers etc, for a x64 machine is not for the computer illiterate however....

MattSeg: Your 2004 is like my 2003; earlier than 2005. Check out the following link from aaronrules who has a vehicle 2005 or newer I believe. He got that cable to work on his windows 10 64 bit system.
FINALLY got Techstream to work!
But if you look in the description of the cable on ebay it says:

FAQs:
Q1: is this cable work on toyota/lexus 2003 models?
A1: this cable will not fully work on toyota/lexus 2003 models, some features based on K-line will not work properly. For toyota/lexus before 2005, we recommend the Original Mini VCI Cable with latest v2.0.4 firmware (K-line Supported)

So I bought the alternative Original cable with 64bit drivers and 32 bit drivers. (It directs you to download the 32 bit drivers). As you can see above, I've tried a 32 bit XP laptop and a 64bit Windows7 pro desktop. Neither work.

I've already got the cable which takes forever and a day to get from China so I'm going to try to make it work. If you've got a 64bit system, Mark WV's system above has been proven. His signature says he has a 2003 LX470 so he's in the same year range as us so it should work for us. I assume he's made the cable work with that vehicle. Maybe ask him to be sure.

Thanks for the help everyone! I've got some downloading and installing to do.

The cable I mentioned above does work with both my 03 LX and 06 LC

The installation software for installing the drivers that came with the cable would only work on a 32 bit machine - thus I followed the link I posted above for how to manually install the drivers on a 64 bit machine. Follow the instructions regarding manually installing the MVCI drivers exactly - I believe I used the files on that website for the drivers in lieu of the one on the disk that came with the cable.

Once it was working with the older version of tech stream, it was easy to update to the later version of techstream.

Link worked flawlessly for me on two separate computers that both had issues with a 10. series install. Thank you.
Seems the reg key "1111..." doesn't work for me. Any ideas? TIA.

Follow the instructions provided in the serie. to a T. open tis, change location and close and then over write the MainMenu file, open again ( will say 5000 day down in left corner) provide the key all set.

found YouTube Vid. Thx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom