hei or non USA dissy (1 Viewer)

HEI or toyota dissy

• HEI

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • non USA toyota

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like my HEI, but when the new 2F goes in, I'm going to the Toyota BigCap.

that's just it, i have an hei in it now. also have the toy parts on a shelf.
the chevy parts have failed on me before, and let me walk.... yeah yeah, all parts fail sooner or later....

i really don't like having chevy parts on it, yet i don't want to lose any "performance".

Two equal F's one with Hei and the other with Oem distributer, both with equal tune...will not 'perform' better than the other...until enough time has passed that the points start to wear on the OEM Toyota distributer.

Sorry, the stock heads are not cross flow and the motor is of a smallish displacement.

Hot coils and other speed items will not do jack for an stock F/2f motor, because the lower 'powered' stock spark is good enough to light off the mixture at the RPM's the motor will ever see, nothing is going to waste other than normal inefficiencys of the rest of the motor . Any performance gains from upgrading the weak stock ignition would happen only because the stock stuff was in a state of poor tune to begin with..

Now IF you had a higher than stock compression f/2f motor and other fuel/breathing enhancements, well than there could be some benifits of running the aftermarket stuff.

All based on course of an assumed definition of performance...get on the gas and it goes faster and harder ... this is not the only definition of 'performance'.

Brian,
How long have you run the HEI? And you do have it hooked up to a ported vacuum? Unlike a dumb@&@&@&@& I know from Kansastitty? I am going to try the "Big Cap"/coil and ignitor on my new motor, but I am not going to part with the HEI until I'm satisfied. Parts are much cheaper for the HEI(and plentiful, too).

Hard decision.:confused:

Ed

it's been there, probably 10 years or so, and yes it has vacuum hooked up.
the toyota i have isn't the "big cap" or atleast i don't think it is, it seems smaller than the one on the 60.

i think i'm going to go with it. if i don't like it i can always just put the hei back on it.:eek:

brian said:
i don't want to lose any "performance".

If they are both working properly, there won't be any performance difference.

As long as it makes a spark at the right time, it is all the same.

My HEI is only one year old...so far so good.
I am running the model that utilizes an external coil, which I kinda prefer to the more common LARGE cap/coil config.
One thing I noticed after the upgrade was the amount of dizzy movement...It isn't much, but I believe it does move more then my original dizzy.

I am planning on converting another HEI to see if that one moves less, and to have a spare :D

mr_manny said:
One thing I noticed after the upgrade was the amount of dizzy movement...It isn't much, but I believe it does move more then my original dizzy.

D

i know what mean.

niether, get a big cap dizzy, coil, ignitor and side plate from a 81-87 Cruiser, much better than the other choices IMOP

mr_manny said:
My HEI is only one year old...so far so good.
I am running the model that utilizes an external coil, which I kinda prefer to the more common LARGE cap/coil config.

I am planning on converting another HEI to see if that one moves less, and to have a spare :D

Mine kinda dances like a whiteboy, not a lot of movement, but it ain't standing still, either.:D
Not meant to offend anyone but me.

Ed

Degnol said:
Mine kinda dances like a whiteboy, not a lot of movement, but it ain't standing still, either.:D

Ed

Six of one, half dozen the other. I think the HEI can give a better start in cold weather with it's big hot spark, and maybe a little smoother idling too. The 'dancing' you mention could be too much runout of the shaft, especially if the distributor has the jointed shaft.
The one I did had that jointed shaft (do ALL HEI's have that?) and because of where the gear needed to be the bottom piece didn't get full sleeving support from the gear and ran at .020" when I chucked it in my lathe. I welded it together and turned it smooth, then got it down to a total runout of .001" by tapping it between centers until it ran pretty true. That stopped the St. Vitas'(?) Dance.

I don't like the cost of the Toyota "signal generator" at $175.00+. Doesn't that have the function of the HEI module available for as little as $25.00 (think it was) from RockAuto? Expensive glovebox spare.

Degnol said:

Ed

I saw that 'dance' in Iron Giant's 40 with the HEI and it scared the heck outta me.:eek: :eek: That kind of movement can't be good for ANY of the parts concerned in the long run. Luckily, he had the original dizzy for it and swapped it out before he brought it to me for the final tune up. I think he 'unloaded' the HEI at the PMC swapmeet.

I've stated my preferences before.;)

Honk, I have a solid shaft HEI, so no joint. BUT, I made a "bushing" for the hold-down out of plastic pipe, so that is what I always attributed the wobble to.

Mark, the new motor is going to begin life(again) with the big cap. Just 'cause I'm scared of trashing $1400 worth of parts and machine work. I have been really pleased with the HEI, but I did it as a knee-jerk reaction to breaking a set of brand new (SOR) points and having to call wifey and the towbar. I was raised on points and maybe should have stuck with that.

I'm not turning loose of the HEI until I find that I like the Big Cap. And I have some spares, as in ignitors and coils.

Anyway....Merry Christmas to all.

Ed

Ed, I don't want to hijack Brian's thread, but you've touched on a significant point regarding your rebuilt engine, and that is.........whatever you do, you don't want to run ANY unknown quantities during the initial break in period, either with the ignition or the carburetion. You only get one chance to break in the engine properly.

I rebuilt a beautiful longblock for Jim Sickles, the owner of Downey Off Road, several years ago. He insisted on putting his still-problematic fuel injection system on the engine, and when it wouldn't run right, he called me. I did a couple of quick systems checks and told him that the fuel system was running too rich for startup and that he was gonna wash the rings out. Told him to yank the EFI and put a carb on until the engine was broken in.

So what do you think he did?

INSTALLED A HOLLEY!!!!!!!:doh:

He ended up yanking the motor back out and I sold it to a guy with the proviso that I would get him a fresh head gasket and a new set of rings.:doh:

Mark, that makes me feel better about what I'm doing. Thanks.

Santa just passed overhead here in the "Heart of America" so, he's headed your way.

I think he's bringing me an ARB.....hopa, hopa, hopa.;)

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom