Heavy rain: Leaks, electrical gremlins, and limp mode. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone.

I have had an interesting thing happen on my 01 LX470. A couple of weeks ago during a long road trip in heavy rain I noticed that my Tach was flopping all around. An hour or so later the dash lights go out on it. By this point the rain had stopped. I keep driving because i'm still 200 miles from my destination. Finally the car lurches and goes into what I assume is limp mode. AT Oil Temp light comes on and the VSC lights come on. I pull over and let her cool down for a bit not wanting to make maters worse. I let it cool down and start off again, nearest auto parts store is is 30 miles away so I limp it towards there. CEL comes on but im in the middle o no where and all of the fluids were fine as of 10 miles ago so I limp her at 30-35 on down the road.

Get to O'Rileys and pull the code P1305 Coil pack #2. They have one in stock so I buy that, but im skeptical that is the problem. Theory at this point is water got in somewhere and is causing chaos. There was a pizza joint across the street so I unload the fam into there so I can crawl the forum and see if I can find an easy fix. After an hour or so we load back up. She starts up and is fully functional. No lights, no limp, my dash is fully functional. Got to brother's house and pull the codes with his reader. I had an AHC delete so I get some weird ones, but the only other code was the Coil code. We pull the pack and it looks fine (nothing obvious to an amateur like myself) and put it back in. Cleared the codes and after a few test drives and ragging on it I felt ok taking the fam 750 miles back home in it. Dry drive all the way home and no issues at all.

Today it poured like hell and when I got into her and backed out of the driveway I noticed water dripping out of the dome light and more dripping onto the passenger side floor board. I dried everything off and started looking at the sunroof drain holes and the sunroof seal. On my way home I lost the Tach, lights started flickering and right when I hit my driveway the AT Temp light came on and VSC light kicked on and I felt her go into limp mode.

So based on the preponderance of evidence am I looking at in the opinion of the court? Thanks in advance!

In older cruisers, the air intakes below the windshield fill up with junk, causing water to leak inside on the firewall. Yours may run down the A pillar, down into the kick panel electronics. Take a flashlight, and take a look in there

In older cruisers, the air intakes below the windshield fill up with junk, causing water to leak inside on the firewall. Yours may run down the A pillar, down into the kick panel electronics. Take a flashlight, and take a look in there

Where am I looking exactly? Thanks for the response.

My rain, limp mode issues were from the hidden rust around the windshield. I think it was getting the fuse box area wet on driver's side, but not 100% sure. I fixed the windshield and sold it.

sold it cheap and with full disclosure.

Last edited:
Where am I looking exactly? Thanks for the response.

Under the dash, there are trim pieces where your feet lay on the outside of the footwell, they come off. There are fuse boxes and computers behind them.
Look for water. You might need to use a garden hose and have it running on the roof of the truck down the windshield to see the water coming in.

Also open the hood and make sure the drains are clear in the cowling under the windshield, if you run a garden hose down their too water should run under the hood hinges and out the bottom of the truck, those get filled with leaves and pine needles causing water to back up and leak into the cabin where you cannot see it. This is true for all cars.

Cowling vents are clean, the water in the dome light is making me lean towards the sunroof seal being the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom