Heater shut off valve and 90 degree elbow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I found this in an old post by @wngrog on is 67 FJ45 build. Can anyone tell me where the shut off valve (I have the piece that goes into block all ready) and 90 degree came from please.

Image 3.jpeg

Image 2.jpeg

On my 72 the valve screw right into the head. The temp sending unit is in the next big hole towards the radiator. Online catalogs usually have really good pic's even if the parts are no longer available. I just look at $OR and FJ - both only show the "new style" that is cable operated. I'd bet my old printed catalog(s) have an actual picture of the set up. Have you look in the chition manual.

I saw the one Matt has. However I only have one threaded opening on my head. I need some where for return heater hose to go.

View attachment 3509300
Oh yeah. Sorry. I see that now.

Mine was bad on the last build I did so I had to purchase a used one. Maybe check with classic cruisers

I think the return heater hose connects to a fitting in my lower radiator hose. Been a while, and there is like 4" of snow on the hood.

Thanks. Next nightmare to come. I have sourced and have an SD40 to go back stock. Looks like previous owner also modified fuel line to put on new "janky" carburetor. So will have to look at that next. I all ready have new fuel line from red line land cruisers and a new fuel pump.

I knew the water lines and fuel were going to be a problem as they were about the only things that were modified. Except hole in dash and doors for radio and speakers :bang: Luckily those are a distant memory all new metal.

I think the return heater hose connects to a fitting in my lower radiator hose. Been a while, and there is like 4" of snow on the hood.
Thanks! Stay warm....

Thanks. Next nightmare to come. I have sourced and have an SD40 to go back stock. Looks like previous owner also modified fuel line to put on new "janky" carburetor. So will have to look at that next. I all ready have new fuel line from red line land cruisers and a new fuel pump.

I knew the water lines and fuel were going to be a problem as they were about the only things that were modified. Except hole in dash and doors for radio and speakers :bang: Luckily those are a distant memory all new metal.

I modified a FJ60 fuel line. Most people cut them and put a big fuel filter right before the carb which is a terrible idea. The fj60 line has the proper carb fitting and a simple barb on the fuel pump end.

Put a 5/16” hose barb on the fuel pump and just connect the two with a bit of hose.

This is my latest build. Look up Blue Bird in 40 section. My first F135 to install

IMG_6510.jpeg

IMG_6509.jpeg

I found this in an old post by @wngrog on is 67 FJ45 build. Can anyone tell me where the shut off valve (I have the piece that goes into block all ready) and 90 degree came from please.

View attachment 3509267

View attachment 3509268

View attachment 3509267

View attachment 3509268
I went the this on my 67 FJ40 trying to get the stock fittings back in place. Similar to yours, but I have a rear heater. PNW 67 Patina Blue - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pnw-67-patina-blue.1289865/page-4#post-14706371

That 60 degree or "soft 90 degree" elbow is likely for the heater line that runs from your water pump outlet to the front heater. I would assume then that you would have another that is a full hard 90 that will run from the block shut off to your heater.

You don't appear to mention the year of your truck and any mods, engine changes, etc. etc. so what I have here is intended for years indicated on the picture. If it doesn't apply, please ignore.

The "tee" is upside-down so the part number shows.

The head is under pump pressure while this tee is on the suction side of the pump. Flow travels from the head to the tee when the valve is open.
What is the sending unit you have on top of the tee connected to? With the valve closed, it's not going to see much water flow to keep up with the increase in water temp.

1702845728442.png

FYI

The valve in the return line at/near the radiator is often not used or included in the heater system (which falls under the electrical group in the parts manuals 😂) as it’s generally believed to not be needed. Mark @65swb45 has talked about this in a post or two of his which you can search for, maybe he’ll join in here and add to the discussion. It’s probable he has the block adapter and hose valve. The tee that @73FJ40 shows in his post above is what most installations use for the return line into the coolant system.

Last edited:
I have the two OEM shutoffs. The one with the long rod and top pice missing is frozen shut. The other one turns freely but a pit some water in it and no matter what position I turn it I don’t get any water. This would be fine just don’t want problems later on.

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4401.jpeg

That’s about how many I went through to get one that works, mostly 😂. I have the thumb turn thingy that you turn to open and close the valve, it just doesn’t want to stay attached 😡. I’ve peened it in place but I don’t trust it staying there, so it’s in its own special box on the shelf that I pull it out twice a year, beginning of winter to open the valve and beginning of spring to close it. I crack myself up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom