Headlight juice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drove my 40 for the first time at night in a long long while and my headlights are just too weak. Like so weak I’m wondering if they are getting enough electrical juice as I have been working on wiring issues for a while now but though I had rounded it out.
Anyways any suggestions? Other than buying better ones. I’m pulling out my electrical tester. I need to look up the proper ohmz and check that I believe. Is that correct?

I drove my 40 for the first time at night in a long long while and my headlights are just too weak. Like so weak I’m wondering if they are getting enough electrical juice as I have been working on wiring issues for a while now but though I had rounded it out.
Anyways any suggestions? Other than buying better ones. I’m pulling out my electrical tester. I need to look up the proper ohmz and check that I believe. Is that correct?

Did you check your eyes?

None of us are getting younger and our 40's are pushing 50 years of age.....the stock headlights of the era sucked when they were new.

My 40 is definately going to get an upgrade to its headlights

No.

The brightness of your headlights will be impacted by the voltage getting to them. Unless your charging system is failing that is not something that changes. Of course, your charging system may be failing.

What sort of headlights do you have. If you still have the 1970s pre-halogen incandescent units... the world basically gets darker when you turn them on. There is a whole world of lighting upgrades to geek out over. I won't even go there other thn to sau *if* you still have the origianl style bulbs in the rig (doubtful in the extreme) then you can't do much worse.

Check your voltage and then consider upgrading the bulbs and the harmess too.

Mark...

Head to your local Toyota dealer and buy the Koito headlamp kit. 81110-60P70
X100 these are a ridiculously good deal and are worth every penny and more

Test the voltage at the headlight connector while the lights are turned on - it's tricky to get the probe in there, but the bulb needs to be connected and loading up the circuit.
You should be reading a value which is close to battery voltage.
If you have some resistance built up in one of the switches, or fuse or a bad connection somewhere, then this will make your lights even weaker than standard.

Upgrading them is a great idea, but check that your circuit is in good condition first.

The problem with the stk headlight circuit is all the power goes thru the fuse then to the headlight switch, thru the bright light switch then to the headlights. Each connection builds resistance. The internal connections in the switch arent great. Most manufacturers wire their headlights this same way. Have you ever noticed how hot a h/l switch gets? Using relays and supplying power directly from the batt to the lights eliminates a lot of resistance, which in turn creates brighter lights. The Toyota kit offers the relays and fuse protected direct battery connections along with efficient reflective glass fixtures and bulbs. Like others said its plug and play. All for about $23.00.

Last edited:
Head to your local Toyota dealer and buy the Koito headlamp kit. 81110-60P70

Awesome I appreciate the suggestion.

Also I do find it funny that I constantly hear back from people and they say “go to your local Toyota dealership and get x” or “get this and look it’s still available at your local Toyota dealership” with attached internet link to part on Toyotas website …
And then I go to Toyota and they laugh at me
I live in the Bay Area of CA and the Toyota dealerships around here ain’t got Jack.

Make sure your ground connections are clean and tight many electrical problems in old vehicles can be traced back to rusty or loose grounds. Also have a look at the sockets and prongs on the headlights, both can oxidize and create resistance to current flow.

Last edited:

Also I do find it funny that I constantly hear back from people and they say “go to your local Toyota dealership and get x” or “get this and look it’s still available at your local Toyota dealership” with attached internet link to part on Toyotas website …
I live in the Bay Area of CA and the Toyota dealerships around here ain’t got Jack.
If you’re around Novato, go see Mike in parts. He’s been getting me 40 stuff since the 90s.

They will have that kit or can get it in within a couple of days, go old school and call around. I’ve had these Koito’s for three or four years now and back in my day had to pay $54. It’s the best “stock” upgrade I’ve done to my 40, period.

IMG_3856.jpeg

Cruiser outfitters is where I bought my last set. They're not $23 but they are in stock and completely hassle free. Good upgrade as others have already said.

Yeah right!

The dealership here in Oakland is really hit or miss but having the parts numbers and knowing the typically cost can really help a lot when "dealing" with them.

I got lucky on a new bumper for $230 but ended up paying double for shock bolts, nuts and washers....go figure? They wanted $45 for the Koito light kit, ended up getting it from Wits End in Oregon, it shipped really fast and even with shipping was significantly less expensive. Have yet to install but it's quite a nice kit and as mentioned you get a butt load of zip ties!

right on ... Ive already checked the ground connections - i did that first. I do need to get my tester out and check the volts and ohmz they get. i do have probes for that on my tester. Will do that and see what kind of readings I get.
But, ultimately from all the responses it sounds like I should upgrade no matter what.
So thank you to everyone for your responses and I will order that kit.
right on....on to the next issue lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom