Head Unit w/ Nav and Backup Cam Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just went to a car audio place and was quoted almost $1000 for purchase and install of a backup camera, Sony touchscreen head unit (without nav), etc. This seemed pretty outrageous considering the prices on Amazon for some of the cheaper component options (I don't need a fancy camera, just something that'll keep me from backing my rig over the hood of the corvette behind me in a spot).

Does anyone have suggestions on a decently priced double din unit with Navigation that can stream music and calls over bluetooth? No need for CarPlay or Android Auto, as I hate plugging in my phone.

Also, anyone have suggestions on DIY installation? I found a video on YouTube for pulling out and replacing the head unit itself, which seemed surprisingly straightforward, but I've never done anything like this before and it's a bit intimidating. I was thinking I'd just get a wireless transmitter for the camera so I wouldn't have to run cabling through the interior, but that still leaves wiring it into the backup lights, figuring out how and where to run the microphone for calls, etc... Complicated a little bit because I have a rear bumper with tire swingout, so I can't wire directly into the rear gate through the stock plate lights.

Anyone have expertise or a link to a write up? I searched, and it seems like there isn't anything from the last two years or so on this on the forum...

Another question is that I have an LX450, which I understand has a built-in amp that might need to be bypassed if I'm replacing the head unit? Does that complicate things considerably?

Anyone in the Dallas area want to spend a Saturday helping me hook all this crap up at some point? I'll provide beer ;)

If I were to get a radio with nav. it would be kenwood, because I believe they are the only company that uses garmin. The others work but are out dated. The one I had (not kenwood) I hated. Not user friendly while setting a new destination. I now use single din with a tablet.

I currently run a Kenwood with Garmin Maps which is nice but it is getting older I am probably going to be installing a joying or pumpkin unit due to the android compatibility and I think they are apple play compatible to they are low cost around $300 and I can install google maps and I will probably put one in my LX as well to run the torque app off of they both are bluetooth compatible so I will be able to pair my tablet or phone to them to run music off of that.

Got any links to the units you're referring to? Sounds like a pretty good solution... Question though: do they have GPS? Or would you just be running google maps through your phone (thus using data from the phone plan)?

If I were to get a radio with nav. it would be kenwood, because I believe they are the only company that uses garmin. The others work but are out dated. The one I had (not kenwood) I hated. Not user friendly while setting a new destination. I now use single din with a tablet.

How do you have that setup? Mind sharing a pic?

I swear by Crutchfield.com. Great equipment, plus anything you order comes with all adapters needed, and a detailed step by step write up (with pics) for your specific vehicle. Plus they have 24 hour tech service, where you get RIGHT THRU to a live person! (Wow!) The salesperson on the phone are very knowledgeable so when you call them you just tell them what options you want, then they tell you what they have. I Highly recommend them, and ALL the vehicles I've done have Crutchfield equipment..... you won't be sorry!

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone interested since I won't have the time or money to play with this idea anytime soon

I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi, which is one of the best purchases I've made. I'm currently using it for for a media center, desktop, and emulator; but the possibilities are endless. Back to the point.

This capable little PC had my mind racing on what cool things I could do with it, and after a few hours of research I came across something that may just work for this. the BASIC parts would be:

The ICarus Shop Page has assembled kits, separately purchasable hardware like 4 channel amp, fm module , gps module, backup cams, ect.
They say their fully assembled kit is 249 Euros, and I'm not sure if that includes everything you're looking for BUT the main reason I went down this rabbit hole is to toy with the idea of a OBDII-to-USB capable computer in the car that could work with a program to show live readings and diagnostics, and I think this does just that. And Bluetooth/Nav/radio/backup cam/OBDII/touchscreen looks like it may be under the $1k you were quoted.

If pulling the radio seems intimidating this may not be for you, but its a cool idea I had to pass along.

Pioneer AVH-X5700 double din in mine, got it on ebay for <300, sound quality and tuner are both stellar, all the outputs you could want, still need to run the wire for the camera, added a relay so it will play movies while in motion... I like GPS on my phone or a standalone Garmin unit... I didn't like having the two combined, to each his own...

Last edited:
I would recommend a Kenwood also because of the garmin navigation. I've had a Kenwood DDX6019 for years and love the garmin navigation. Sooo much better and easier to use than the crap navigation in my wife's lexus. I even figured out how to load topo maps that I use when off-roading.

Although the Raspberry Pi suggestion is super futuristic, and therefore awesome (at least in concept), it's a bit beyond my ken.

Seems like a Kenwood is the most popular suggestion for Nav. They're a bit pricey, but if I could manage the install myself, that would defray a whole lotta the cost. Crutchfield sounds like a pretty good way to go about the process, if the instructions and customer service are as good as Marine7 says. I guess I'll give them a call and start figuring out options and prices. Wireless backup cam seems like the best route to go to avoid having to wire through the cabin, so I'll probably go that route too.

Jdayment's suggestions raised an interesting question - it looks like some of the newer double din units are moving to some sort of app ecosystem and actually running Android themselves (not just Android Auto, or whatever it's called)? That's pretty interesting, although wouldn't it use some sort of cellular data network, and does that require some sort of data plan?

You don't need data to run Android. You only need it to dl and update apps, stuff like that. Mine hits my router from my driveway, otherwise I can tether it to my phone.

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone interested since I won't have the time or money to play with this idea anytime soon

I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi, which is one of the best purchases I've made. I'm currently using it for for a media center, desktop, and emulator; but the possibilities are endless. Back to the point.

This capable little PC had my mind racing on what cool things I could do with it, and after a few hours of research I came across something that may just work for this. the BASIC parts would be:

The ICarus Shop Page has assembled kits, separately purchasable hardware like 4 channel amp, fm module , gps module, backup cams, ect.
They say their fully assembled kit is 249 Euros, and I'm not sure if that includes everything you're looking for BUT the main reason I went down this rabbit hole is to toy with the idea of a OBDII-to-USB capable computer in the car that could work with a program to show live readings and diagnostics, and I think this does just that. And Bluetooth/Nav/radio/backup cam/OBDII/touchscreen looks like it may be under the $1k you were quoted.

If pulling the radio seems intimidating this may not be for you, but its a cool idea I had to pass along.
That is so awesome! I setup a retro pie last year, but I never thought about doing something like this. I'm definitely going to look into it for my next project :)

I've got a joying head unit and really like it so far. It's relatively inexpensive, double din, It has google maps navigation Or any other nav app available through the android App, and works well with a cheap backup camera.

You don't need data to run Android. You only need it to dl and update apps, stuff like that. Mine hits my router from my driveway, otherwise I can tether it to my phone.

Right, but it's pulling data through your phone then. I don't have unlimited data and don't really want to get it, so running navigation through my phone's not ideal. Although I guess if there's a legit Google Maps app, you could download maps for offline use, at least.

In any event, I've been youtubing installation videos for the camera, microphone, navigation antenna, etc. Everything seems fairly easy and straightforward actually (cut to shot of me weeping after eight hours trying to pull off the dash and hide wires in the headliner and A-pillar, and a full day of splicing the harness wires for the head unit), it seems the hardest part will be hooking the camera into the taillight? Anyone done this or seen a step by step thread?

Right, but it's pulling data through your phone then. I don't have unlimited data and don't really want to get it, so running navigation through my phone's not ideal. Although I guess if there's a legit Google Maps app, you could download maps for offline use, at least.

In any event, I've been youtubing installation videos for the camera, microphone, navigation antenna, etc. Everything seems fairly easy and straightforward actually (cut to shot of me weeping after eight hours trying to pull off the dash and hide wires in the headliner and A-pillar, and a full day of splicing the harness wires for the head unit), it seems the hardest part will be hooking the camera into the taillight? Anyone done this or seen a step by step thread?
There is a Google map app. Anything in the app store basically. And it doesn't use data when you don't want it to. Unless you're saying you don't have wifi access anywhere to dl apps. You could probably pull up to McDonald's and use their wifi lol. But once it's downloaded, you don't need data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom