Head spewing .... not good .. help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not posted in a while and typically search a bit before I post. I was unable to locate a post that satisfied my question as it is obscure and difficult to search.

Today was the first time in a while that I had driven my 60 to work. It used to be a daily driver, but I recently bought a beater car to drive to and from work so my 60 could stay in the garage and out of the elements. I just changed the oil and all the bolts and filter were on tight.

Went into work with not noise or anything. Came out for lunch and noticed a larger than usual pool of oil under the truck. The more I looked at the undercarriage the more spatter I found. Most of the moisture was concentrated on the passenger side of the engine below the plugs. Real wet, not typical cause I keep it clean. Checked the dipstick and it was bone dry. Filled it up again (no direct drain to the ground). Started it up. No knocks and sounded normal. Walked around to the passenger side where all the moisture was and oil was spewing from what looked like a bolt hole above the #5 plug on the head (quickly shut it off).

There appears to be an outlet and I am not sure whether a bolt wiggled its way to freedom or whether it blew off something. I was wondering if someone can provide some insight or peak under their hood and let me know if there is a standard plug or something that was blown off. It looks like a bolt hole above #5 and it is angled towards the firewall.

You guys have always helped in the past and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brad - Formally of Socal now of Eastern Va

That is the infamous oil galley plug. A little plug of aluminum that's stuffed into a hole that's used in machining the heads on 2F and 3FE heads. Looks like you got real lucky catching it when you did you could have killed the engine. Try search for oil galley plug tons of info.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/191622-oil-galley-head-plug.html

Here's a recent thread that includes the fix. Fix with the engine in and head on is a bit tricker.

Good luck.

Holy crap. After reading those posts I was pretty freakin lucky. Thanks guys.

Where do I get a threaded plug quick? I was hoping to go camping this weekend.

You can find'em at "Home Depot" or "Lowes". :beer:

You did get lucky, that and the fact that these land abusers hold two gallons of oil certainly helps. I lost an engine to that stupid plug; I noticed it too late. Tap that sucker and use a magnet to retrieve any particles from the hole. Use a pipe tap, they are tappered so be carefull with the depth. Put some pipe tape on the plug and you're good for as long as you care to be.

I have been reviewing all the articles provided, but am a little worried about the potential of getting metal shavings into my head without removing it entirely. I am trying to minimize the downtime, but I want to do this thing right.

Does anyone have a suggestion with regards to properly threading the hole without impacting the head? One of the articles mentions pulling the valve cover off, but it is a little vague for a lay fellow like myself.

Thanks again!

I have been reviewing all the articles provided, but am a little worried about the potential of getting metal shavings into my head without removing it entirely. I am trying to minimize the downtime, but I want to do this thing right.

Does anyone have a suggestion with regards to properly threading the hole without impacting the head? One of the articles mentions pulling the valve cover off, but it is a little vague for a lay fellow like myself.

Thanks again!

Using a pipe tap and then using a magnet should cover the bases. It's really not a very big deal to do it that way.

I relly like the concept of filling the truck up with oil, tapping the galley, then turning the truck on without the plug screwd in. makes a heck of a mess.. But clears out things nicely ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom