Head gasket leaking, decision time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Local machine shop quoted me 2750 for full rebuild. I purchased the ishino stone head gasket kit and Toyota head bolts. Machine shop will source the rest. I will get prices on the transmission tomorrow. I'm sure I could just get a head job done and save a ton of money but I plan on keeping this thing forever so I might as well just do it right once and be done.
There’s an Aussie outfit that does a steroid version of these trannies. Anyone recall the name offhand?

There’s an Aussie outfit that does a steroid version of these trannies. Anyone recall the name offhand?
Just need it stock. Honestly it still shifts perfect with 248000 miles on it.

Perfect timing for a full rebuild. It sounds like someone will have turbos for sale soon so now your engine will be all ready for a new turbo.

Wholesale Automatics I guess is who you're thinking of?

Got everything stripped off of the engine. Off to the machine shop next week.

20190503_212547.jpg

20190503_212535.jpg

Update from the machine shop. They tore everything down and order all of the parts today. Probably a month out. I did get some time to put my bumper on the FJ cruiser though. Can't wait to get the 80 going again.

20190628_232911.jpg

20190628_232938.jpg

Glad you decided to keep the LC. You would have regretted it if you had sold it. My HG went out not too long ago and had Camelback Toyota do it for me. With all the creaks and sounds, these things make it is annoying but I love mine to death. I plan on eventually replacing all the suspension bushings in hopes that it helps eliminate some if not all the noises.

Glad you decided to keep the LC. You would have regretted it if you had sold it. My HG went out not too long ago and had Camelback Toyota do it for me. With all the creaks and sounds, these things make it is annoying but I love mine to death. I plan on eventually replacing all the suspension bushings in hopes that it helps eliminate some if not all the noises.
I'm really excited to get the engine and transmission back. It hopefully will last another 20 years.

Ok I thought about this more.

Before you go mad.

You can do a few things here, rent a coolant pressure tester from your auto parts store and manually pressurize the system and look for a leak.

If you can't find the leak but the pressure goes down, remove the spark plugs and look in the cylinders.

Still can't find it?

Borrow a leak down tester. This tool uses compressed air. While the plugs are out you set whatever cylinder you're testing to top dead center. Then screw in an adapter to the spark plug hole. Remove the radiator cap. Using the air regulator on the leak down tester, turn it up until you have 100 psi in the cylinder. Look for air bubbles coming from the radiator, this will tell you if the head is cracked or the gasket is comprised. Repeat on every cylinder.

Or just have a decent mechanic do this test for you. Maybe they will let you watch if you show up with bagels and smear for the guys.

But seriously. Ls swap. It's like 5k for. 5.3 swap and you will be very happy, the value of your truck will triple.

Don't sell your truck for 3500.

Where can I get an LS swap for $5k???

Where can I get an LS swap for $5k???
Well you have to get your hands dirty and do the work yourself.
Ls swap 5.3 is like 1200 bucks at the junkyard, adapter is 1500, the rest is small stuff. Do the wiring yourself.

Engine is back from the machine shop. Should have the transmission back in a few weeks. Already cleaned up the intake and throttle body, replaced all vacuum lines, replaced injectors. Waiting on fuel pressure regulator, fuel vsv, evap vsv, tvv then I will paint, replace injector clips, repair harness and reassemble.

20190725_173619.jpg

Parts are trickling in.

20190802_180058.jpg

20190729_201726.jpg

Paint is 95% done. Will touch up seams with a fine brush in the AM.

20190810_194418.jpg

20190810_194409.jpg

20190810_194359.jpg

That Portacool....is probably the most important 'tool' in the garage right now. Getting pretty hot out in West Texas by now I would think.

It's sweltering here....and I'm on the opposite end of the State.

Mighty fine job you are doing there.

It was 105 today and the portacool was well worth it. I used the por 15 engine enamel which was a first for me. It's a little strange because you brush it on but it went on pretty nice. I have to touch up some spots in the morning but overall it's way better than when it came out. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom