Head gasket leaking, decision time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also does anyone have a good website or hook up on good parts. Typically I use Toyotapartsdeal.com. I found a felpro overhaul kit and a Toyota kit. Is the felpro Worth the cost savings

If it's leaking to the exterior it's unlikely that a leakdown test will show anything. That's only for coolant to cylinder leaks. Coolant pressure tester is the way to go.

If it's leaking to the exterior it's unlikely that a leakdown test will show anything. That's only for coolant to cylinder leaks. Coolant pressure tester is the way to go.
Gonna pull the engine anyways and at minimum machine the head and replace all seals and gaskets. May do full rebuild depending what I find.

Use only Toyota gaskets and head bolts.

You may want to do a compression test and leak down test before pulling so you have a baseline.

Missed the sourcing question before, was just talking about this elsewhere. Ishino Stone is Toyota's OEM manufacturer. I just bought a set from them and the machine shop bought me a new set from Toyota after they messed up my valves and had to remachine - they were identical. This will probably be your most cost effective bet for OEM - https://209yota1.com/products/30-3vz-88-95-head-gasket-set-toyota

Contrary to popular belief, the head bolts are not torque to yield and can be reused as long as they are more than 10.7 mm at the threads, per the FSM. I'd rather use old Toyota bolts than new aftermarket, and they are expensive to buy new, personal call though.

Just call @beno and get what you need. He adds in several things not included in the kit that will save you extra time plus I love my TEQ oil cap.

Use only Toyota gaskets and head bolts.

Yeah, because Toyota gaskets never fail? :hillbilly:

Haven't seen a Felpro for a 1FZ, but have been disappointed in other applications.

Mine has a Mahle head set, several have Beck/Arnley, all worked well. Have used Beck/Arnley head bolts without issue. :meh:

Yeah, because Toyota gaskets never fail? :hillbilly:

Haven't seen a Felpro for a 1FZ, but have been disappointed in other applications.

Mine has a Mahle head set, several have Beck/Arnley, all worked well. Have used Beck/Arnley head bolts without issue. :meh:

You forgot about the Victor Reinz, which we used in mine.

According to their website, they’re backed by DANA!

A9D7304A-3367-42AF-8688-2FFCF13B236A.jpeg

You check heater control valve? Anyway, I believe @NLXTACY put off a HG replacement for two years using some kind of goop. That said, he rebuilt the whole engine.

Subscribed i have a 94 fj80 fully locked with a blown head gasket wanna see how it goes for you on price and what kit you get. I will also pull the whole deal out but will have to keep myself from ls swapping it getting close to finishing up an ls swap on an 84fj60.

Local machine shop quoted me 2750 for full rebuild. I purchased the ishino stone head gasket kit and Toyota head bolts. Machine shop will source the rest. I will get prices on the transmission tomorrow. I'm sure I could just get a head job done and save a ton of money but I plan on keeping this thing forever so I might as well just do it right once and be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom