HDJ81 Brake Upgrade - With Part #s and Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do the Calipers and rotors have to be from a 97 ? I have a line on calipers, rotors, pads, and sheilds from a 95 for cheap (with low miles) and was wondering it would work.

Cheers

Should be fine, the 93-97 US trucks all had the larger brakes.

Thanks that is what I thought but wanted to make sure before I bought them.

Cheers

Very nice report!

If I may add something else, that I haven't found anywhere I remember and is IMO a MUST if you live in the rust belt (you know who you are :frown:): replace the OEM locating pins that tend to ^&%^%#%@#$ seize in place and take hours to remove, with Stainless Steel ones. I made mine using stock SS rod using just a vise, a turbo propane torch, a BFH, a hand grinder and a couple 1/16" cobalt drill bits on a regular drill ;). If you have access to a drill press, by all means use it!

Sorry I don't have any pictures to show you, I should have thought about it when I replaced my pads last time, but I've drawn this schematic instead.

I hope it will be helpful. I've first used this mod on my old 60, the pins on my 80 were just a tad longer.

2u790e0.jpg

Great writ up, I have already did this mod a year ago, think its a great mod for later model cruisers.
One interesting difference is that the original backing plates have a scoop to direct air toward the rotor. The new ones don’t.

Iwas realy happy that new Backing plates dont have the scoop!!
Without scoop the disk, galipers, rotors and everything is more protected from interior, when muding.

the old backing plate on the left
dsc00099xt.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Sensational!

I had a MINT VX-LTD and sold it because in Australia they had a 2.5T maximum tow rating.

The only difference as I understand it to the 1995 onwards with the 3.5T rating was the front brakes!!!

I have agood friend also with a 1990 VX-LTD, I will send this to him and he will definately make the change.

I and probably other had always thought that the whole front axel/diff housing needed to be replaced.

What are my options with a 91 hdj81 with 15" wheels? Will the 100 pads not work for me?

What are my options with a 91 hdj81 with 15" wheels? Will the 100 pads not work for me?

Thats the only thing that is stopping me right now is the 15" rims... you need 16"at a min. for this mod to work.

Cheers

Also, backing plates aren't needed, I took mine off and the inside of my rotors are perfect, unlike when I usually take off the rotors and they are all pitted and crappy.

So no pad upgrade or slotted/vented rotors for a 91 with 15" rims? Pretty please ;)

Sorry to revive an old thread.
I am about to do the same and wonder if the list in "Adam B" original post is all I need to order.

04465-60220 Front Brake Pad Kit (2000 Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series)
43512-60090 Front Disk (1997 Landcruiser or LX450)
47730-60061 Front Caliper (1997 Landcruiser or LX450)
47750-60061 Front Caliper (1997 Landcruiser or LX450)
47781-60061 Backing Plate (1997 Landcruiser or LX450)
47782-60061 Backing Plate (1997 Landcruiser or LX450)

How about the shims and anti-squeal kit. Does these come with the calipers or with the pads? Any other bits are needed at all?
Any reply from members who did the mod is highly appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Cancruiser,

That parts list is all I ordered and all I used. Make sure you check the quantities I specified as you will need 2 rotors (disks).

With my setup I couldn't fit the anti-squeal shims, although after a year and a bit I'm sure they'd fit now. Next time I have the calipers off I might shove them in there. I have the old shims sitting here and it doesn't look like new ones were included with the calipers or pads unless I misplaced them.

I'm curious what the difference between shims and anti-squeal kit would be?

I would also suggest having some anti-seize compound handy. I like to put a tiny bit on the caliper pins that hold the pads in or else they tend to get frozen in place after a couple of years - I only use it where the pins contact the caliper body and make sure none gets anywhere near the pads or rotors. I also use it on the caliper mounting bolts and put a whole bunch on the inside and outside of the cone washers. They never come loose by accident and this helps them always pop right off with one tap of a brass hammer. Surely someone out there thinks this is a terrible idea but it's worked like magic for me for 12 years of owning Toyota trucks and I'll do it till the wheels fall off. Literally.....

Thanks Adam, appreciate it!
Why couldn't you fit the shims? Was there no room for them or you didn't have them at the time?

I don't think there is a difference between shims and anti-squeal kit. Toyota EPC just call them "SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL" Usually two pieces, one with slots and one without as you probably know.

I do the same thing with the anti-seize compound. Plus I use brake grease where applicable. Never had a problem too. Do you have a favourite brand of anti-seize compound you use?

Thanks again...

can i do this upgrade to my 1992 hdj80..my rotors aru due for replacement..

this upgrade will be a good one to make

Already have the rotors and the pad of a 100 series but i
Dont have the caliper yet..can the rotor fit the iriginal caliper of a 92 hdj80?

done the upgrade a week ago but i have a problem at 80kph and higher.
if i step on the brake, it veers to the left fast..what should i check for this problem?

Thanks guys for all this valuable information. Quick confirmation... with my HDJ81 build 08-1992 (has the larger brakes and 16 inch rims stock), if I only need to replace my brake pads, then I can just put in 2000 100 series pads with no modification?

Is there any benefit to the 100 series pads over the 1997 LC / LX450 pads?

The only benefit: 100 pads supposedly last 30% longer. Which would make them last almost as long as your rear pads depending on LSPV setting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom