HD automotive turbo kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m in the same boat; I’m waiting to hear how the Pulsar GTX3582 comes on boost with our US Spec ECM and AFRs. As you mentioned, there’s little info regarding the Pulsar turbo so I’m wondering how it compares to the Garrett Turbo that was supplied in the Wits End kit. Two things for certain, the Pulsar is internally gated versus the Garrett requires a separate wastegate (adding cost to the build) and the Pulsar is water cooled VS the Garrett is only oil cooled. Would the additional water cooling help the Pulsar turbo last longer and Possibly help reduce the intake temps/under hood temps? Idk for sure but I’d assume so?

I sent an email to HDAuto asking about a smaller turbo, the GTX3576 along with shipping estimates to New Mexico, but haven’t heard back from them yet.
The wits end kit came with a borg warner oil cooled journal bearing turbo. The pulsar gtx3582 is a chinese knock off of the garrett gtx3582, it is ball bearing and watercooled like the garrett turbo. Water cooling won't reduce underhood temps but will help with turbo longevity. I highly recommend getting on the 1fz turbo landcruisers facebook page and reading their pinned post, it is now a word document that answers basically any question you could have regarding turbo charging the 1fz.

I’m in the same boat; I’m waiting to hear how the Pulsar GTX3582 comes on boost with our US Spec ECM and AFRs. As you mentioned, there’s little info regarding the Pulsar turbo so I’m wondering how it compares to the Garrett Turbo that was supplied in the Wits End kit. Two things for certain, the Pulsar is internally gated versus the Garrett requires a separate wastegate (adding cost to the build) and the Pulsar is water cooled VS the Garrett is only oil cooled. Would the additional water cooling help the Pulsar turbo last longer and Possibly help reduce the intake temps/under hood temps? Idk for sure but I’d assume so?

I sent an email to HDAuto asking about a smaller turbo, the GTX3576 along with shipping estimates to New Mexico, but haven’t heard back from them yet.

There is quite a bit of info on the pulsar, tons have been using the turbo in Australia with no issues, per the pinned post in the 1FZ-FE turbo Land Cruiser grp on Facebook, with the 3582 you are looking at boost coming on at 1800rom and full boost around the mid 2k range. i also totally forgot about the exchange rate to the Basic kit its about $2200usd with the turbo blanket and downpipe....b/c of that I ended up buying the basic kit :bang:

Also any progress on your build @Fj80oregon?

Still in the works just have to finish up a couple engine builds. Also got another small project going then will be focusing on getting the turbo installed. Other small project pics. ⬇️

0E7BD425-290C-45EF-B213-884CD0D18577.jpeg

726F4C90-4EDB-406C-BA00-9D748DE6C6A8.jpeg

I built my own J pipe based on the Witsend and other custom built ones before HD auto made the kit. Cheap to build if you have the skill to do so or a good mate. I run the Pulsar GTX3582 which has very good reviews from many aussies using it on the Ford barra engines which are a 4 litre straight six.
I did purchase the hose kit for the pulsar and a turbo beanie from HD auto and they are good to deal with, the oil pressure fitting in the hose kit was an NPT and should have been a BSP to suit Toyota otherwise l have had no issues.
I have read lately that the GTX3576 may have been a better choice for more low down torque but very happy with the performance from mine at 8 PSI, its a different vehicle to drive now.

Ok back on track! Now trying to figure out intake from turbo outlet to throttle body, it’s a tight fit center to center is only 7” front to back and will be fighting the breather on the intake. The left to right I have 5.25” face to face. Don’t want to order a bunch of different Silicone hoses but might have to. The turbo outlet is 2.5” and the throttle body inlet is 3” so I have to figure a reducer in there somewhere. What ideas do you guys have go silicone or fab an aluminum piece?

IMG_9704.jpeg

IMG_9703.jpeg

IMG_9702.jpeg

IMG_9701.jpeg

I built my own J pipe based on the Witsend and other custom built ones before HD auto made the kit. Cheap to build if you have the skill to do so or a good mate. I run the Pulsar GTX3582 which has very good reviews from many aussies using it on the Ford barra engines which are a 4 litre straight six.
I did purchase the hose kit for the pulsar and a turbo beanie from HD auto and they are good to deal with, the oil pressure fitting in the hose kit was an NPT and should have been a BSP to suit Toyota otherwise l have had no issues.
I have read lately that the GTX3576 may have been a better choice for more low down torque but very happy with the performance from mine at 8 PSI, its a different vehicle to drive now.
Do you have any pictures of your intake? And good work making your own!

Ok back on track! Now trying to figure out intake from turbo outlet to throttle body, it’s a tight fit center to center is only 7” front to back and will be fighting the breather on the intake. The left to right I have 5.25” face to face. Don’t want to order a bunch of different Silicone hoses but might have to. The turbo outlet is 2.5” and the throttle body inlet is 3” so I have to figure a reducer in there somewhere. What ideas do you guys have go silicone or fab an aluminum piece?

View attachment 3580700

View attachment 3580701

View attachment 3580702

View attachment 3580703
Wow that HD pipe really positions the turbo very far forwards.

Do you have any pictures of your intake? And good work making your own!
Check out my build thread for some pictures

Only can speak of the Wits End Kit, because I own one.
I had the first production kit upon release. I recall having to contact Joey because one of the silicone pieces was incorrect. He sent the wrong piece, it was fixed with a silicone piece that “necked down” to the correct diameter to mate up & complete the install.
So there are silicone pieces available that have different sizes diameters on each end.

Is there room to combine two 180 bends into a smooth "S" bend instead of trying to make two sharp 90's?

If not, then a 2.5" to 30" 90 elbow reducer, short 3" tube, then 3" 90 elbow.

Here is the piping showing the 2 90* bends.
Not sure how else you could cram in the piping.
The Wits End kits were designed to be compatible with a duel battery set-up and the York air compressor set up.

IMG_0089.png

Here is the piping showing the 2 90* bends.
Not sure how else you could cram in the piping.
The Wits End kits were designed to be compatible with a duel battery set-up and the York air compressor set up.

View attachment 3581067
His problem is how far forward the turbo gets placed. It's outlet is right where the crank case vent is. The Wits End and Cruisers & Company kit sits further back to clear that. You almost need to clock the turbo to point up and then shoot over to the throttle body inlet with a 90 over the top of the turbo. Maybe sacrifice a hood brace to make the clearance necessary?

Afternoon,
I completed my turbo install a few weeks ago. I used the HD Auto J pipe along with their water/oil lines and a Pulsar GTX3576. All the other items I either had or sourced separately. There is a 2”-2.5” elbow at the turbo, a 2.5” aluminum 90* then a straight 2.5” - 3” coupler at the throttle body. I haven’t had a chance to install a recirculating blow off valve yet but I’ll weld in a 1” pipe in the 2.5” aluminum 90* that’s in between the two silicone sections. I have 2,390 miles so far testing everything out; low boost (5psi spring in my wastegate) but night and day different!!

0C89B9DF-AD49-4DB8-9419-92B2B2839978.jpeg
A4F9C44F-7D4F-4521-853B-CF53D0541E4A.jpeg

Afternoon,
I completed my turbo install a few weeks ago. I used the HD Auto J pipe along with their water/oil lines and a Pulsar GTX3576. All the other items I either had or sourced separately. There is a 2”-2.5” elbow at the turbo, a 2.5” aluminum 90* then a straight 2.5” - 3” coupler at the throttle body. I haven’t had a chance to install a recirculating blow off valve yet but I’ll weld in a 1” pipe in the 2.5” aluminum 90* that’s in between the two silicone sections. I have 2,390 miles so far testing everything out; low boost (5psi spring in my wastegate) but night and day different!!

View attachment 3581187View attachment 3581188
Nice work! Got any more pictures of the whole engine bay, how did you hook up your breather pre turbo?

I choose to route the intake to the turbo this way versus the Wits End way because I might throw a W2A intercooler on it and I’d need the space towards the firewall to do so.

The bad side is that I had to cut/extend the MAF connection on my brand new wire harness some and I had to tilt the MAF sensor. I’m not 100% happy with the MAF placement as it slightly touches the hood when it’s closed (technically, the lid of the air filter that touches). Nor have I made a new bracket to attach the MAF to the stock air box until I decide if I really like the current setup. My initial thoughts are to alter the lid of the air filter to accommodate the MAF and give a 1/4” or so more clearance for the hood. But for my testing purposes this works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom