Has anyone swapped different seats on to 40 series bases? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My driver's seat vinyl is totally shredded. It looks like re-upholstering just the bottom part of my seat will cost a fortune so I'm looking at other options.

The option I'm most considering is taking a different seat.. Something like an early 90s 4Runner base model (non-bucket) seat and swapping the cushion sections on to the stock bases in my BJ42. Has anyone done something like this with these trucks?

I bought a couple passenger seats for my old 4Runner and swapped the power leather passenger cushions (normally less wear than driver's cushions) on to my manual driver's side base.. But this landcruiser is a totally different animal! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what we're dealing with:
IMG_1434.jpg

I took the original seat brackets and bolted on thick steel cross members. On to the cross pieces I bolted the aftermarket seats.

Four hours later - new seats.

Sorry about the orientation :

IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2520.jpg

Your cushion doesn't look so bad... I'd see if you can just recover it, or find a passenger side cover & cushion.

I've rebuilt my stock cushions, but never used a different one.

i dont know what expensive is but by the time you screw around and try to mount something in there you will probably spend more money trying to save money.i used complete audi seats before and they were the best fitting seat i ever fit to a cruiser .

Hahaha, ChetGunray that seat is unreal.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll look into the crossmember idea.. That could prove to be the solution I'm looking for. There are pretty much zero 40/60 series trucks in auto wreckers anywhere near me.. Or even a good distance away from me.. Or in BC in general.

Hahaha, ChetGunray that seat is unreal.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll look into the crossmember idea.. That could prove to be the solution I'm looking for. There are pretty much zero 40/60 series trucks in auto wreckers anywhere near me.. Or even a good distance away from me.. Or in BC in general.

Those seats look to be in good shape other than the cover. There are a couple venders that sell replacement covers. I just did some seats with Cruiser Corps covers that came out nice. Maybe contact one of them to see if they would just sell the bottoms.

I also made brackets to mount some seats out of a Saab that I picked up in a parts truck. I put those in my 74 with a fiberglass Mallotte body. Had to be careful on the leg clearance above the knees to the Steering wheel. Took a lot of test fitting to get right.

The replacement covers were by far the easiest to do, and that's with me never having done it before. The brackets were made using the OEM mounts.

Definitely don't get rid of those seats. You can get good money for seats in that condition.

Those seats look to be in good shape other than the cover. There are a couple venders that sell replacement covers. I just did some seats with Cruiser Corps covers that came out nice. Maybe contact one of them to see if they would just sell the bottoms.

Definitely don't get rid of those seats. You can get good money for seats in that condition.

Thanks a lot for the insight there. My passenger seat is in excellent condition (basically mint) and the damage to the driver's seat is completely isolated to the base for sure. I'm going to do as you suggested and get in touch with Cruiser Corps. You never know until you ask that's for sure. In the mean time, I've also put posts in on different local forums asking if anyone has a spare seat.

I am a HUGE fan of the look of the stock seats. But I'm a musician....... That's my job... My only income... So... If that's not an indication as to what my budget is like, I don't know what is, haha. I have a good relationship with a local auto wrecker who'll sell me other seats for around $30. So the other option I was leaning towards was installing other (more comfortable and untorn) seats until I could afford to recover the stock ones.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions and sharing of experiences. By all means, keep them coming.

The best looking seat I've seen in an LC was harvested from a Volvo. Love the look of the head-rests :

Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 1.03.13 PM.jpg

Oh, and heated too! :beer:
Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 1.03.13 PM.jpg

Lots of good aftermarket options out there. The search function will lead to a ton of informative threads regarding choices and mounting options.
Look at Scat Elite 1100 seats for a quality upgrade for a decent price.

Understood. When money is tight, just go through the hassle of folding a towel over the seat cushion, while you save up to buy some good replacement seat covers. A half-assed solution is no solution at all--it will simply look off.

I used Hyundai scoupe seats in the front and a Dodge raider rear bench (fold and tumble).

The scoupe seats are a little too reclined for my back so i shimed them.

Just got Hyundai Accent seats in now, got rid of the brackets and made new holes (i have an aqualu tub) for them but looks good.

the audi seats welded to the stock brackets and bolted tight in wish the hell i could remember s***

I have had the same problem repeatedly. Is it possible to swap left and right seats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom