Has Anyone Made a 2nd gen 4 door 4Runner with a Removable Top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was Curious if anyone has made a 2nd gen 4Runner with a removable top. Think using a first gen top with the front metal window frames removed and then do some fiberglass to match the rear door window frames... Something that looked like this high quality Photoshop in Paint, Think like the door still works (Please Note I found these pics on the internet, they are not mine... but I wish I had that garage).
I Have seen some people make them into a tiny goofy looking truck UTEs and even a couple of guys made a legit double cab Hilux. but nothing like this.
4runner 2nd Gen Removable top.jpg

I think you are sailing uncharted seas. There is only one way to find out. Do it yourself.

I feel I need to get some measurements, Currently dont own either but debating on which should be the next build. Problem is I want the roof to come off but I have a Kid and so I want 4 doors... Since they 2 gens are pretty similar I thought this may be possible with some welding and fiberglass skills.

There's a ton of rough 2nd gens out there. Grab one that barely runs and take to it with your Sawzall. Then find one if those 4Runner looking toppers for pickups...

Once upon a time... On P4x4... I saw a build of a silver 3rd gen truck where someone grafted a 1st gen 4runner top on it and fused the bed to the back of the cab essentially making a 3rd/1st gen 4runner. About this time last year I went digging to try to find it but it may be lost in the void. From memory I think they took the 1st gen bed rails/cab back and grafted it straight to the cut down bed sides. I think there was another 3rd gen pickup that used a topper to just make the cab a pass through and bolt a seat in the back..

Also saw the 3rd gen that had a mix of a 2nd cab and 2nd gen 4runner doors to make the US dual cab hilux thing, tons of work but turned out awesome.

I have a raisin'd 2nd gen that is probably ready to trim the mullet up in the back but I don't want to lose the 2nd row or storage room. Keeping the rear glass intact has been a constant struggle. The chopped UTE's are hit/miss depending on how they do the slant to match the rear door angle for the back window.

But I'm intrigued, go for it so I can copy it :grinpimp:

Then there's the structural considerations. I suspect that roof plays a significant part in the integrity of the body... since Toyota's engineers expected it to always be there. Off with the roof, on with a six-point cage!

Once upon a time... On P4x4... I saw a build of a silver 3rd gen truck where someone grafted a 1st gen 4runner top on it and fused the bed to the back of the cab essentially making a 3rd/1st gen 4runner. About this time last year I went digging to try to find it but it may be lost in the void. From memory I think they took the 1st gen bed rails/cab back and grafted it straight to the cut down bed sides. I think there was another 3rd gen pickup that used a topper to just make the cab a pass through and bolt a seat in the back..

Also saw the 3rd gen that had a mix of a 2nd cab and 2nd gen 4runner doors to make the US dual cab hilux thing, tons of work but turned out awesome.

I have a raisin'd 2nd gen that is probably ready to trim the mullet up in the back but I don't want to lose the 2nd row or storage room. Keeping the rear glass intact has been a constant struggle. The chopped UTE's are hit/miss depending on how they do the slant to match the rear door angle for the back window.

Hey Mtnbiker4evr13, You already have the 2nd gen, Take a Fiberglass mold of the top and rear of the back door, buy a 1st gen topper, Cut the top off and then graft the mold to the fiber glass topper!!! Don't forget Manhattan Suggested roll cage! I might take the plunge after I move. I did noticed your in Ashville! Ill be moving to Chattanooga at the end of the summer! Maybe I will see you on the mountain Roads!

You overestimate my setup's ability to be a good mold :hillbilly: hence why I've been contemplating cutting it for several years. But you have me wondering about different options now...
Screenshot 2023-03-23 105617.png

I did a similar migration OH=>NC so best of luck on the move!

Oh I did see that USA made Hilux with the the 2nd gen runner and the rear of a pickup, and bed to make a Sweet Hilux knock off! I was looking and was like what if you did that with the Extra Cab Pickup! Passengers in the back would have so much leg room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom