Hardcore High Mile Wheeling? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've broken into 215k miles on my 08 FJ Cruiser, hard miles. And it's starting to show its age. Currently going through a 2-3yr maintenance/restoration upgrade replacing worn and soon to be failing parts to ensure/prolong its life to keep the adventures going as i push to join the 300k mile club.. I'm just curious who else is over 200k and still partying like a Rockstar?

20230910_113230.jpg

I had 350k on my 1996 4Runner before I sold it. My brother has 450k on his Tundra. Both are/were mostly stock with a few upgrades (lift, winch, etc). My FJ40 has 260k on it but it’s gone through a rebuild at 190k, and I am in the process of a second rebuild now.

I’m thinking to be in the hardcore section you are going to need to LS swap and 1-ton that FJ. Ha.
X2. Fj cruiser with bolt-ons is not hardcore.

I’m thinking to be in the hardcore section you are going to need to LS swap and 1-ton that FJ. Ha.

X2. Fj cruiser with bolt-ons is not hardcore.
I’m betting this is all tongue in cheek ribbibg, but I wonder where that line is? I have a 5.3/sm465/orion with arb’s and longfields. I don’t consider it a “hardcore” build, perhaps if I link it? Tons? Or is it the trails you run? Just wondering, keep up the builds.

I'm just curious who else is over 200k and still partying like a Rockstar?
200k? Probably. Though my odometer quit working for a few years and I bought another speedo and then I learned that I could just rebuild it.
1974 FJ55 that I've owned for 38 years. Not hardcore but it does have an SM465 and double transfer cases. And stuff.

pghead2.jpg

20220828_110059.jpg

I’m betting this is all tongue in cheek ribbibg, but I wonder where that line is? I have a 5.3/sm465/orion with arb’s and longfields. I don’t consider it a “hardcore” build, perhaps if I link it? Tons? Or is it the trails you run? Just wondering, keep up the builds.
I really have no idea and this is something that has bothered me since I got heckled for posting in the wrong forum a few years back. I shouldn’t have carried that heckling forward. I do think that it would be neat to see an LS swapped FJ. However, I’m not sure that it needs tons. It’s great the way that it is and I’d like to see it hit 300k.

I don’t see my build as being hardcore, either, and I suppose that it is all a matter of opinion. There is probably too much diversification.

200k? Probably. Though my odometer quit working for a few years and I bought another speedo and then I learned that I could just rebuild it.
1974 FJ55 that I've owned for 38 years. Not hardcore but it does have an SM465 and double transfer cases. And stuff.

View attachment 3487442

View attachment 3487443
I don’t know, it’s probably semantics but anytime that you are on two wheels is hardcore to me! Sweet 55. Were you touching on the left side when your wheels were up in the air. It doesn’t look so. It looks like a balancing act!

I've broken into 215k miles on my 08 FJ Cruiser, hard miles. And it's starting to show its age. Currently going through a 2-3yr maintenance/restoration upgrade replacing worn and soon to be failing parts to ensure/prolong its life to keep the adventures going as i push to join the 300k mile club.. I'm just curious who else is over 200k and still partying like a Rockstar?

View attachment 3487017
Hey, are those King coilovers under there? How do you like the ride. Tell us a little more about the build and what your plans are for it.

Hey, are those King coilovers under there? How do you like the ride. Tell us a little more about the build and what your plans are for it.

Kings front and back that are in need of being overhauled. Steel skid plates, rear diff and rear lower shock armor, oem rock sliders that need repaint. Snorkal (I'm the creator of Annual Pumpkin Snorkel Head Season). Fender flares, 1.5" wheel spacers currently on OEM 16in FJC wheels w/Mickey TBossAT's(i have a set of 80 series land cruiser wheels). full length roofrack w/rtt, geyser shower system, tubed winch bumper w/smittybilt 9.5s. Tubed rear MT bumper. 270 batwing awning. LED light bars all around and underneath that are not for show all run off the SwitchPro painless wiring system. Custom spare tire carrier for my ThuleT1 bike rack. Portable ARB twin air kit, GMRS and a dashboard Hula girl... what i got left:
-Upgrade rear upper links
-Buy rear long travel shocks to finish & install MT long travel kit.
-shower awning to attach to rtt
-cycle out metal recovery gear for full synthetic
-custom rear swingout for fuel storage

2023-11-19-09-41-27-808.jpg

Wow, that is quite the list. You gave me a few ideas for my build. I’ll have to check out the Painless harness that you mentioned for your lights. I had a fuse box from them in the Cruiser that I mounted under the hood 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Kings front and back that are in need of being overhauled. Steel skid plates, rear diff and rear lower shock armor, oem rock sliders that need repaint. Snorkal (I'm the creator of Annual Pumpkin Snorkel Head Season). Fender flares, 1.5" wheel spacers currently on OEM 16in FJC wheels w/Mickey TBossAT's(i have a set of 80 series land cruiser wheels). full length roofrack w/rtt, geyser shower system, tubed winch bumper w/smittybilt 9.5s. Tubed rear MT bumper. 270 batwing awning. LED light bars all around and underneath that are not for show all run off the SwitchPro painless wiring system. Custom spare tire carrier for my ThuleT1 bike rack. Portable ARB twin air kit, GMRS and a dashboard Hula girl... what i got left:

View attachment 3487535
What rear upper links are you going with?

View attachment 3487535
JMHO it’s an overland build and not hardcore corner material 🤷‍♂️

JMHO it’s an overland build and not hardcore corner material 🤷‍♂️

Agreed on the FJ with bolt-ons isn't "hardcore" in modifications.

On the Meta side.. with how diluted a lot of the forums and general off road enthusiast level of hardcore-ness just hitting actual trails instead of dirt/gravel roads is more hardcore than what you usually see :lol:

I'm just curious who else is over 200k and still partying like a Rockstar?

So to the original question on rigs getting used over 200K miles. Yes, 244,000 miles and not a straight panel in sight, driven to and from trail rides in OH, VA, KY, NC for the past 13 years since its build. Still 3VZ powered :hillbilly:
20211002_160832.jpg

Ironically my DD/camping/light wheeling family rig is an FJC almost identically setup to the OP's. 210,000 miles and still does big trips to GSMTR, KTTR, Slade KY and tons of other lighter rides without hesitation. Gets wheeled more than the 4runner since I take it when I have my kids with me..

Agreed on the FJ with bolt-ons isn't "hardcore" in modifications.

On the Meta side.. with how diluted a lot of the forums and general off road enthusiast level of hardcore-ness just hitting actual trails instead of dirt/gravel roads is more hardcore than what you usually see :lol:

So to the original question on rigs getting used over 200K miles. Yes, 244,000 miles and not a straight panel in sight, driven to and from trail rides in OH, VA, KY, NC for the past 13 years since its build. Still 3VZ powered :hillbilly:
View attachment 3524003

Ironically my DD/camping/light wheeling family rig is an FJC almost identically setup to the OP's. 210,000 miles and still does big trips to GSMTR, KTTR, Slade KY and tons of other lighter rides without hesitation. Gets wheeled more than the 4runner since I take it when I have my kids with me..
I have a 80 on 39s built for hardcore rock crawling 280k on the clock.
Take it to all the hardcore west coast trails
But it still doesn’t belong in the hardcore section.

IMG_4489.jpeg

Core , more core than most , and even more core

IMG_8767.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_6006.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom