Builds Hammersaurus Lex - The LX470 gets tons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be happy if it can even get up to 60 with this tires and lift.
TBH I drive down to the hammers at 80 in marshmallow. Tach is pinned at 3100 or so but whatever. I don't have time to baby it

TBH I drive down to the hammers at 80 in marshmallow. Tach is pinned at 3100 or so but whatever. I don't have time to baby it
That's amazing! I cannot wait to see some action pictures or videos of this build.

That's amazing! I cannot wait to see some action pictures or videos of this build.
You and me both, bud. You and me both. Stupid driveshaft shop...

How much longer?

How much longer?
Well, to allow it a maiden voyage around the neighborhood and to get some poser shots? A few weeks, but I have some business travel coming up that will interfere potentially.

Truly wheelable requires some skid plates and bumpers and probably to finish the interior fenders and spare tire mount etc. And it will probably go to some boring trails like the Rubicon before it goes to the hammers... But snow will limit that

This thread doesn't belong on page 5. Petitioning to sticky until we see proof of movement and "hammering".
Lol! Still waiting on driveshafts. On the plus side, I did install a 'Tesla' style headunit so I have 3d Google Earth imagery of the hammers (trails aren't really marked out there):

pQpmfD7.jpg

Also, I plugged in techstream and, while my horn still works, my airbag reports that it's disconnected, so I think my clock spring is screwed. I still need to take that apart and see. Another possible indicator is that my steering wheel controls don't work with this new head unit. I don't know if they ever worked with the old one either

I have a renewed vigor for finishing the rear body work myself, though I think I would consider fiberglass and seam sealer instead of spot welding the whole thing back together.

Got my rear bumper weld-yo-self kit from @4x4labs but it was missing a piece.

Good news. Driveshafts look good. The 1310 CV head is smaller at the H yoke than the Toyota H yoke so it seems to fit... Barely. Pro tip for anyone wanting to run a CV in the front - 1310 is your jam.

OK, driveshafts are in. Squeaked out of the garage after taking the roof rack off:
3yM75Ha.jpg

So the steering still feels abnormally heavy and weird and doesn't want to return to center. Beginning to wonder if something is screwed up in the box itself or something. When the wheels are off the ground, the steering wheel / tires turn relatively freely. When the weight is on the vehicle, though, it just wants to stay pointed wherever you set it. I'll need to think a bit about what's going on. The ram may also be screwy? I don't know.

Rear diff cover still leaks, even after the 3rd attempt at resealing. At this point, I'm really not looking forward to taking it apart AGAIN. Certainly not to put another 4 quarts of synthetic in there, that's for sure. These shaved 14 bolts suck from a sealing surface perspective.

So, plenty to do to make it wheelable. My "tesla" style headunit also sort of sucks in the sun:
xqBlyJC.jpg

Looks like that head unit is in for a lot of sucking regardless of the sun.

Those torsion bars must be pretty maxed out. Bet there's no droop for wheeling. Forever a mall crawler.
No I am running AHC lift with extra fluid. Techstream reports 19.2 front, 24 rear

have you driven it or is that just steering in and out of the driveway? I'd put some small street tires on and see how it drives to rule the 42's out.

have you driven it or is that just steering in and out of the driveway? I'd put some small street tires on and see how it drives to rule the 42's out.
I drove it around the block. Its 'sticky' steering for lack of a better term. It was like that on the unicorns before I redid the rear axle too (I toodled around on just the front) so I don't think it's the tires.

Wait you did a SAS and kept the AHC? wow cool stuff here

edit: sarcasm is hard to read on the internet.

this build is epic, but you already knew that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom