Hairbrained idea or awesome project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudmates,

I recently saw and shared an availability of a LX470 that was a little ruff, had 250k miles but was only $2500. What kind of a awesome off road rig could one make out of this by taking off the body and making a trail rig from the chassis. I would guess that the body and interior would way 1500-2000 lbs. ( anyone feel free to correct me on this) It would have great performance and be bullet proof. 35's would be easy, stock toyota suspension would be fine. With a little more work it could be made street legal (think VW rail/buggy) Parts removed would help pay for the fab work required. The end result would be incredible.

Has any else done this or have hints or ideas?

Am i crazy or brilliant? you tell me........

100_pic_05.jpg

Wow, I am a little disappointed with the Mud community. I thought this post would get a load of traction.....

Maybe a little too hairbrained...

Or if not, just not everyone’s cup of tea. You do you, go for it!

Building a moonbuggy of that sort would cost you quite a bit more unless you had spare materials and fabrication skills. There's more to it than slapping a seat and steering column on. There is a guy in the 80 section who rolled his and then built a convertible out of it with some other considerations for occupant protection.

@TLC Dan Search for 100 series conversions by Alan Podvin. He did this with a LC chassis and LX front clip.

47b6db26b3127cce98548ab6ce5300000017108AbMmLdk0YuV.jpg

Last edited:
Another pic

DSC01665.JPG

What kind of fanfare are you expecting? You want to do it, do it. As for your idea, other than having the appearance of being a cool off road buggy that garners a lot of posts, it's still going to be up against the off road limitations of a 100. Front suspension doesn't have a lot of articulation, doesn't have lockers, etc. If the truck's rough as is, not sure how much you think you're going to get selling parts to fund the build, but I can tell you from parting 2 rigs, you won't get that much and it takes a long time.

Thanks for the responses. I was just looking for a little feedback on my harebrained idea. Love the Lexus convertible but it would not accomplish what i am looking for from a weight savings standpoint. Now if i could find a rolled 100 that idea would be perfect.

TLC Dan

Thanks for sharing that one. I hadn’t seen the front flipped up. Was this fiberglass or hood welded to fenders?

On the original topic, keep dreaming out of the box. Seriously, that’s what has gotten me a little further down an unpopular path. I’m not sure if your goal is rock crawler or desert racer, but my opinion is it wouldn’t be the best start to a rock crawler, but maybe with a custom long travel kit (eliminating the tb’s) it would be a fun start to a go fast build. If you have any local fabricators or off-road builders, run your idea by them. Of course plan on twice the time and three times your cost estimate.

What kind of a awesome off road rig could one make out of this by taking off the body and making a trail rig from the chassis.

Not an awesome off road rig. The weight of the cruiser is far less of a limiting factor than the front suspension... ditching body parts may let you clear bigger tires, but you aren't going to get any more articulation or suspension travel... which are basically the main ingredients of any awesome off road rig....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom