Speaker rebuild project - Hiccup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a new owner of a well mechanically maintained 2002 LX470. I've been working on this thing cosmetically and making good progress. New Ridies leather installed, etc. I have a few issues with the Mark Levinson system and this forum has been awesome. The search function has treated me well. I ordered the rebuild kit for the complete system as I knew the rear doors and subwoofer weren't putting out any sound. I pulled and rebuilt the door speakers last night and it went perfect. Decent sound now. Decided to tackle the subwoofer today so I pulled everything apart expecting the foam to be deteriorated. It looks great. No sound from the sw unless I push on the cone. When I do, it is loud and distorted. Any idea what I'm dealing with here? I'm guessing a blown voice coil? Amp messed up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Would like to get the sub working as (everyone knows) this system has very little low end.

try posting a picture of what you're seeing to get more responses
I'd have to pull all the trim off in the rear to access the subwoofer. There is nothing really to see, though. The subwoofer foam surround is perfect. All connections were tight on the plug. I can physically push the subwoofer cone back and distorted sound will come out of the speaker.

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago. The wires going to the inside of the cone had become dethatched internally. It's basically impossible to fix unfortunately. I tried an aftermarket subwoofer that was supposed to be the correct ohms and it sounded like crap. I ended up finding someone that was parting one out and had a subwoofer that needed to be refoamed. I purchased the speaker fairly cheap and refoamed it. Worked perfect ever since. I know that some people prefer the aftermarket stuff and claim it sounds better but the factory ML system, when it's working properly actually sounds really good.

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago. The wires going to the inside of the cone had become dethatched internally. It's basically impossible to fix unfortunately. I tried an aftermarket subwoofer that was supposed to be the correct ohms and it sounded like crap. I ended up finding someone that was parting one out and had a subwoofer that needed to be refoamed. I purchased the speaker fairly cheap and refoamed it. Worked perfect ever since. I know that some people prefer the aftermarket stuff and claim it sounds better but the factory ML system, when it's working properly actually sounds really good.
I need to pull it out of the box and check it out. I bet that's my problem. It's a shame because the foam looked perfect! Unlike my door speakers.

No sound from the sw unless I push on the cone. When I do, it is loud and distorted. Any idea what I'm dealing with here? I'm guessing a blown voice coil? Amp messed up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Would like to get the sub working as (everyone knows) this system has very little low end.
Like the mechanism is seized? My Nakamichi sub felt like it had seized up as well.

Does it fit well?
What resistance did you choose?
I went with the 4 ohm dual voice coil. I wired them in series and it make it 8 ohms. I did have to Dremel off the back side of the speaker box a bit. I also used the trim ring that was on the outside of the speaker as a spacer. It presses on the panel bit but everything buttoned up nicely. Sounds good, too.

I went with the 4 ohm dual voice coil. I wired them in series and it make it 8 ohms. I did have to Dremel off the back side of the speaker box a bit. I also used the trim ring that was on the outside of the speaker as a spacer. It presses on the panel bit but everything buttoned up nicely. Sounds good, too.
What is the impedance of the factory ML sub? Was it 8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom