H42 and transfer case Rebuild - a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool thanks a ton guys. I'll do it too. I'll give cruiser outfitters today just to double check that I do have the correct part number. They are usually really good at responding, so hopefully will hear soon.

Then on to the t-case...

Cool thanks a ton guys. I'll do it too. I'll give cruiser outfitters today just to double check that I do have the correct part number. They are usually really good at responding, so hopefully will hear soon.

Then on to the t-case...
T-case. Piece of cake...

20200821_140853.jpg

20200821_140836.jpg

Ok, finally got to work pressing the bearings in. I think it’s all done. I got worried that my rear counter shaft bearings is not perfectly flush. But I looked at my pre disassembly video and it was like that before. Likewise seems other photos on the inter webs show it that way. Can someone confirm though?

both sides are pressed on as far as it will go and the snap rings go on.

A821CA8B-922E-443E-AC21-269FA9DC5AA7.jpeg

You’re good. The front bearing retainer and the outer snap ring on the forward bearing locate the counter gear.

Thanks Mark :)

I don't stake until everything is installed on the rig; right before the drive shaft - just in case -
Finally go mine in yesterday. I bought one of those scissor lift carts from HF to get the tranny/transfer off the bench and then used the engine lift. One thing that worked exceptionally well was 36" straps. Those were worth their weight in gold. Did the whole thing myself. I know you're not rated to lift, but two of these easily had a double digit safety factor and functions as slings so well.
Below is a pic of mine installed. Didn't get any in process.

1598814268568.png

20200829_173507.jpg

OK guys - working on taking the transfer case apart. All going well so far, until I need to drive out the front output shaft. There is an SST that is supposed to go between the low speed gear and the case, before driving it out with a press. Any ideas on what to use since I don't have that SST? Can I just put a section of pipe or something to hold the gear while I press the shaft out?

2x4 and a dead blow hammer, Curtice.

OK guys - working on taking the transfer case apart. All going well so far, until I need to drive out the front output shaft. There is an SST that is supposed to go between the low speed gear and the case, before driving it out with a press. Any ideas on what to use since I don't have that SST? Can I just put a section of pipe or something to hold the gear while I press the shaft out?

Like Spotcruiser said - 2X4 and a dead blow - brass drift if needed. Comes out pretty easy.

Awesome thanks guys. I’ll give it a go.

Worked great, thanks all. With the block, it did tap out pretty easily. I’ve got it completely disassembled pretty easily. Just need to clean And start assembly.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Hey all - another question. Working on assembling the transfer case. The gasket kit came with two felt pieces. I believe one goes on the speedo housing. What is the other for? Pic:
CE9484AA-C809-417F-861C-3F25AFFDDE7C.jpeg

Thanks

Thanks. Just to confirm....here?
9A650E22-830B-4589-9366-A613EDCC80BA.jpeg

awesome thanks.

For fun a few progress pics

s%McaCjESLiQp98fGQdDSA.jpg
fPtu94wuTS6gtoKI2+L+Hg.jpg
NE4uK+MoSne%mran8ows0A.jpg
Xe7Fjvc9TQaTBsbjUbdHUg.jpg

Looks great. Glad to see it progressing. Is it getting cold there yet?

It’s getting colder. I need to install a heater in my shop.

Another quick question. I have paper gaskets. Should I use those, or use right stuff or FIPG, or gasket and right stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom