H42 and transfer case Rebuild - a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the counter shaft I seated first by tapping in as mentioned and then had to lift the whole thing over to the press for final pressing in order to get the snap rings on. Shoulda took some more pics. The front countershaft bearing has en external ring to seat against the housing, just like the mains, so I had to get that front to center to sit solid on the shaft using the press while supporting the backside of the shaft on a plate, otherwise the groove for the front countershaft snap ring wasn't exposed enough.

I think I’m having a similar problem. I can’t get it any further than this...I just keep moving the whole thing back and forth without making any inward progress. Plus this keeps happening on the rear side...the inner race / collar pushes out.

3D5BC0C1-C5E1-4E16-B88F-A0C2E576F281.jpeg

yep, same problem. bearing with the ring (#24) goes to front. Looks like you have it in the rear?
Mounted the rear first (#20), installed the (retainer #21) snap ring (#22), placed solid on the plate and pressed the front bearing in. That works.
Following the order seems to make a difference.

Small panic - I'm at work!
Can't recall the retainer, Part # 21! I'm sure it's on there though, everything's tight.

1597700261897.png

Both of my bearings have a ring. I called Cruiseroutfitters because I thought I had the incorrect rear bearing. They said it was correct, just install it without the ring so it can get seated at the correct depth.

I'm having a hard time getting the rear mounted far enough for the snap ring because that inner race moves with the shaft independent of the full bearing. I assume this is normal because my old one was like this too when I took it off. I haven't tried the press yet, guess time to do that.

Here is a picture of my front bearing (as far as I can get it)

B3D418DA-F357-4338-90CC-B93B3E001D79.jpeg

Small panic - I'm at work!
Can't recall the retainer, Part # 21! I'm sure it's on there though, everything's tight.

I bet it’s there. For some reason I dont understand, the rear bearing has theinner race separate from that part. Here is a picture...I think is the part I am holding.

image.jpg

but if that’s true, I think I may have the inner race and part 21 backwards. If that think I am holding is part 21, I have that on the inside not the outside.

Dang. I do have it backwards. Man I hope this isn’t going to be hard to take back apart...:bang:

Hmmm.. thought. Remove the front, install the rear fully with the press (rear in the air), flip it over, set it solid on the plate so the countershaft is firm. Press on the front. You MAY be able to tap in the rear bearing without the front mounted, I could. Once its on, I had to use the press on the fromt to get the clearance for the snap ring. Your rear bearing isn't going cause the front bind is holing it back. Despite what the say, after struggling with it, I had to use the press, which is tough cause the mainshaft is sticking out and this thing is HEAVY. Whackin' it with the soft hammer ain't gonana do it.

Yep, backwards. inner race on the outside. It is loose as you saw and will fall off. Retainer sits against it, then c-clip.

Isn't this fun! LOL - I have 5+ hour in it yesterday.

Interesting, your bearing that both have snap rings explains a few things to me. The rear seemed ot sit slight proud of the face in the back, now it makes sense (maybe).

They make it look so easy... You need a detail for Fig. 3-68 that shows the race and retainer better. I had to put the whole thing in the press to do the front bearing on the countershaft. But it does work.

1597701956792.png

Ok. I got that rear countershaft bearing out...wasn't super easy. Had to use a puller tool. Gonna retry this all later, doing what you did with the press. For now, I think I need to go inside...my shop isn't capable of handling this heat wave...85 in here and rising.

FDE66D31-FDEE-466F-BEEA-A69163AB85DB.jpeg

While I’m waiting, I’m very confused on this rear counter shaft bearing. If I am to put it in the same way as the old one, the groove for the snap ring (that I’m not going to use) would go inwards. That doesn’t make sense. See this picture of the old and new bearing side by side - the weld marks are from me pulling the bearing out, so that it was was facing out. Does it matter which way the bearing sits?

7699C408-C8A4-457B-9CEA-FA7C2DD79016.jpeg

Here they are flipped over so you can see the difference. They are different on each side.

F57BA34B-6449-4F43-8CD2-BAD1FDDF6CF6.jpeg

The new one came in the package with the race installed on the side of the bearing with the groove for the ring.

Anyone know? I hope I’m making sense.

Well, if you look at the manual figure blown up, it shows the inner bearing race with the flange on the inside and I am wrong in my previous comment. Look at the rollers in the photo. The retainer is definitely last before the c-clip. Not sure it matters. That could be though; I'll have to check mine now, argh.

1597711897635.png

Yes, I believe that is correct. You can see it on this picture:

5D4194CC-3301-40F0-9C98-33F350B78DB7.jpeg

The confusion I am having is the direction orientation of the bearing. If you look at it, one side has a smaller ring along the rollers that fits the retainer, so this side of the bearing should face outwards. But if I do that, the grooved side of the bearing, with sharper edges will go inwards. I don’t know my terminology, so I hope I’m making sense.

This ring highlighted in yellow was facing out on the old bearing. But the new bearing seems like it’s designed to go the other way.

E1921AE5-32AF-4652-8CF8-E95EED51F397.jpeg

The retainer fits perfectly inside that ring...

Argh.... I think my rear countershaft bearing is in backwards. If you put the bearing in with the center race flange to the outside, the bearing it stands proud of the housing surface. I'm willing to bet properly installed it sits flush. SO... which side does the center go into? Thinking it will be the side that, when inserted, sits flush all the way across. My retainer is still there not on so I'm thinking there's a space between the end of the center race (mounted wrong with the flange on the outside) and the shoulder of the countershaft. The retainer makes up the space just as the flange does on the center race so the whole bearing package is one thickness; the same as the outer race. Does that make sense?

I think it has to come out again.... damn.

What's needed here is a section drawing through the tranny shafts - never seen one for H42.

Last edited:
Ha! Found one! Flange is to inside, retainer (flat) is outside.........Damn.
Also seems like both will only fit one way. Hard to tell.

1597722557660.png

1597722507729.png

Note also there is a seal on the main shaft that looks to be one of the ones in our kits. I checked - one does fit.
Bet one is H41 and one H42.

Hm. I’ll need to check on the seal. I don’t remember any when I took things apart. Can you point it out?

When you have a moment, snap a picture of your rear countershaft bearing. I’m having a hard time visualizing what you explained where you think yours is in backwards.

Im still confused on the orientation of the bearing. I can put the flanged end on the inside, but which way does the bearing go on? It will fit both ways. So does it matter?

Man, I pulled mine (gettin god at this now). The replacement front, which was and shows in the diagram to be a ball bearing with external ring, has NO external snap ring or groove. The rear bearing, which was and shows in the diagram as a roller bearing and doesn't have a ring, DOES have a snap ring. I had the snap in the front per pictures, but the bearing types were reversed. I have to call cruiser bros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom