H42 and transfer case Rebuild - a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curtice

SILVER Star
Threads
In the middle of a rebuild on my H42. Have pulled all the bearings and separate all of the gears, so ready to clean everything and inspect. To start, I have two questions.

1) FSM just says inspect for wear and damage. What are the typical wear points and anything specific I should be looking for? Picture below is of some wear my output shaft. Any thoughts on how it looks? I placed the transfer gear on it and it feels like it has slightly more play when placed in position vs a different part on the splines (if that makes sense).

2) Picture #2 and #3 below shows a small piece I just found laying in the bottom of the transmission case. Does anyone know what it is? It looks like something that fell off and maybe got chewed up? (I've never used this transmission and it hasn't been used in many years before I purchased the cruiser).

bbAkDBkfQK+yb+Uzv04HgA.jpg

98MB8JzNSpq879Z37V0H1A.jpg

eMnaS7W7Q6KNDmiTQrm5jA.jpg

The wear on that tailshaft is excessive; I would replace it. I have a few in stock if you would like to purchase one from me.

My guess on your fragment is that it was a transmission tower shifter pin; I think I see the remnants of the step that the pin has.

The wear on that tailshaft is excessive; I would replace it. I have a few in stock if you would like to purchase one from me.

My guess on your fragment is that it was a transmission tower shifter pin; I think I see the remnants of the step that the pin has.
Could it be one the roller pins from the top plate?

Could it be one the roller pins from the top plate?

If you mean one of the locator pins, they are quite a bit fatter, and the same thickness across the pin. This definitely looks like it was a stepped pin.

Thanks Mark, all. This is pain to do, so I definitely don't want to put worn stuff back in after all this work. I would think it makes sense to get another transfer gear as well. Are both of these available new?

As for the mysterious pin, You jogged my [apparently very short] memory. You are referring to the dowel pins that sit on the side of the shift tower, that the shifter slides onto? I'm pretty sure I remember thinking only one of the two was in place. I'll need to go out and check today, but I bet that is it.

Are there other points to check for (gears, synchronizer rings, etc.) that commonly wear and need to be replaced? When I am looking for wear or damage, i'm just not completely sure what is "bad". I can post lots of pictures if that helps!

Last edited:
Yes, the transfer case input gears are available too. Two types: 74-4/75 and 4/75-7/80.

The other common wear parts are usually bearings, which come in the rebuild kit.

As I just counseled @airon23 last week, if there has been a problem with a collapsed pilot bearing, it is usually a good idea to check the end play on the input/output connection where the needle bearings go. When I rebuilt @HKforte transmission earlier this year, we compared new parts to used side by side and made the call to replace both.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I have all new bearings in the kit. I'll give you a call this week...I have a few other parts missing that I'm hoping you have (front bearing retainer, TC shifter mounting linkage, rear TC cone shaped cover).

I have no idea if there there has been a problem with a collapsed pilot bearing. The input shaft pulled off very easily. But like the other, I only want to do this once, so I might want to put new parts. I'll go look and take some pictures though to see what the experts think.

thanks again

Thanks Mark. I have all new bearings in the kit. I'll give you a call this week...I have a few other parts missing that I'm hoping you have (front bearing retainer, TC shifter mounting linkage, rear TC cone shaped cover).

I have no idea if there there has been a problem with a collapsed pilot bearing. The input shaft pulled off very easily. But like the other, I only want to do this once, so I might want to put new parts. I'll go look and take some pictures though to see what the experts think.

thanks again

Quick check. See if there is still an interference fit between the tip of the transmission and the ID of the pilot bearing.

Thanks. I busted open my clutch kit to get the pilot bearing and it was missing from the kit. So I need to get that sorted.

Operators are standing by. ;)

Awesome. Once I get a break in work today, I need to go out and make sure I have written down everything I need.

Ok, a few questions so I know what I need.

The FSM refers to a front bearing retainer, and a rear bearing retainer and spacer. See photo:

9737A937-5C56-46C2-A206-65BC540824C6.jpeg

My transmission did not have any type of cover on the front (I assume as it was mated to a 350). So is the “retainer” the cover or is it the long spacer looking thing that the arrow is pointing to? I have neither a cover or a spacer. Just the input shaft.

On the rear, I have a cover, and is this the “spacer”?

CC8DCFC4-A7C7-4028-BA34-F35EADD90248.jpeg

Also, I have the shifter and linkage to the tcase, but none of the other mounting bracket, etc. I’m not sure everything I need aside from what is circled in the picture.

35A9F2E5-118B-42B2-8D2F-DE5E94FD5A3C.jpeg
8A435462-86A1-4F21-B772-18B3876888B2.jpeg

Lastly, there is a groove on this counter shaft gear. Thoughts?

22886070-B7A1-44C2-A181-7B432E1B54CC.jpeg

Last edited:
@65swb45 just tagging you to reference these photos when I call.

Got my needed parts from @65swb45 - thanks! We have painted the case and are just starting assembly. Followed the FSM on testing gap clearances, etc. Was confused for a bit until I realized "limit" in the FSM means lowest limit. Things all checked out. The only real assembly so far is to put the input shaft bearing on. Reading @Vae Victus rebuild thread, he said his was easy to put on. This was very difficult, but eventually coaxed it on.

Question - do I need to grease or oil this bearing (or any others)?

OQATcZMESOSapsbXDpE+%A.jpg

AjWM%7sLRmaHglDEBST6vg.jpg

AjWM%7sLRmaHglDEBST6vg.jpg

Last edited:
Another question, for those that have done this. We have installed all of the gears on the output shaft, lastly putting on the thrust washer that fits over the little pin. Now, trying to drive the bearing into the case and onto the shaft at the same time. I'm having two issues:

1) As I am driving it with a plastic hammer, the thrust washer keeps coming off and spinning around, so it isn't lined up on the pin properly. Is this normal? Its a struggle to keep it on.

2) How close is first gear supposed to get to the case edge? I am doing the wrench trick to hold the shaft from moving, but how do you get it exact? I did that, but left a big gap, as you can see below.

Any other problems anyone sees with anything below? thanks.

fullsizeoutput_781e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7828.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7824.jpeg

bump, just hoping for some ideas or confirmation that I am doing this right. I'm worried I have missed something with the way this thrust washer is used. thanks.

Lots of questions... I’ll try to answer them in order:

bearing retainer ia the part sitting on the front of the transmission. The clutch throw out bearing slides in and out of place on this portion which holds the bearing of the input shaft (splined and specific to engine, 6/4 cylinder diesel/gas).

I used a puller to remove the input shaft bearing and a shop press to install the new one making sure the force was applied at the inner race.

The input shaft bearing gets oiled by the transmission oil. No need to grease it. I may have put a tiny bit of grease on the splines to help with installing the transmission into position (clutch, bellhousing & engine). I wiped away any excess with a shop towel.

the collar that looks like a 1 in diameter pipe cut to about 1 in length is the spacer. This is on the transfer case side of the transmission.

The groove is for a c-clip and I believe there’s at least one on the front of the counter shaft. I’m going from memory, so bare with me.

As for how close/tight the gears sit, I recall using thickness gauges to check if things were within spec.

Last edited:
Thanks! That is helpful. FSM doesn't say anything about distance from first gear to case or what to measure. My assumption is that once I drive the input shaft in, that things will line up properly.

I don't have a shop press, which is why I was using the plastic hammer to drive the bearings in. I've seen others do it this way, so I hope I'm not screwing anything up. I'm going slow with many light hits.

My biggest issue right now is this thrust washer. It sits between first gear and the bearing. But it is just on there loosely over a pin (the washer has a notch that fits over the pin). I cannot keep it on the pin and I'm worried it will come off...it keeps coming off while I hit the bearing in. Once it is in properly and near the case, I assume the washer will stay in place?

6F49CF90-E819-4256-A2AA-335B6FC2ADD7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom