H41/Orion combo... (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
chattfj40 asked me to build this combo for him, so now that all of the goodies are here, I have shot some pictures of the parts and will document the assembly out here....

H41
H41.jpg
H4101.jpg

Orion #339
Orion03.jpg
Orion02.jpg

wow that one of the cleanest h41 i has seen

Some pieces that I install when building these that do not come with the Orion:

New 04/75 and later main shaft and new range selector shift collar by the new Orion high speed gear.

The 01/78-07/80 fine spline front output shaft along with a parking brake housing modified for two seals.
Orion01.jpg
Orion03.jpg
Hsng01.jpg

Just some other pieces...

The old Orion high speed gear(not back cut or modified) next to a new one, along with the stepped thrust washers, and the other modified pieces that AA supplies with the Orion kits:
HSgearcomp.jpg
Thrust01.jpg
Kit01.jpg

wow that one of the cleanest h41 i has seen

Some may complain about the prices that Marv gets for his parts, but I have now received four of these H41's(three early 16 spline versions, and one 19 spline later modle) and all of them have been clean and work well, I cannot see why this one would be any different.

:beer:

Is there any outside indentification that tells you it is a H41?

Not that I have ever been able to find. They are a smooth case, just like the H42, and according to info Jim C. posted out here the other day, they only made one housing, so that the H42 and H41 gear set can interchange into the housing without requiring a special case.

Put it in 1st, turn the input and count the output; hope for almost 5:1. An h42 is 3.5:1.

This has been asked many times....and your suggestion will work great, provided the trans is on a bench....in a vehicle it can be far more difficult, especially if it does not run....hence the question pertaining to any exterior defining features....

actually it's pretty obvious that the tranny is a H41.

Look at the 1st gear in photo #1. It almost reaches the top of the casting- thence a H41.

H42's first gear sit 3/4" or more below the top of the tranny casting.

actually it's pretty obvious that the tranny is a H41.

Look at the 1st gear in photo #1. It almost reaches the top of the casting- thence a H41.

H42's first gear sit 3/4" or more below the top of the tranny casting.

But I think the question was from the outside the case.

Hi All:

"CruiserMax" has the H41 and Orion in his SOA FJ40 with 4.88s - I think his crawl ratio is close to 90:1?

Except for the Orion popping out of gear when compression braking on hills, he is pretty happy with it.

Regards,

Alan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSuming 4:11 diff...

81.38:1

It should work really well for him.

Which really is a dead issue Alan.

Max must not have installed any of the pieces supplied by Advance Adapters (which I am pretty sure the pieces have been available for over a year now) that have been discussed to great length out here which would remedy his transfer case. I am not aware of anyone that has gone through the process of installing the back-cut high speed gear, stepped thrust washers, and shift rail components that is continuing to have this issue. Further, there are people, myself included, that have assembled the Orion WITHOUT the update pieces listed above, and they are not popping out of gear.

Max has all of this information and the parts available to him, just like anyone else that has purchased one of these. It would be in his best interest to install these pieces, along with a new main shaft and shift collar, and be done with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom