H41/Orion combo... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I found out that even using the thinnest side of the stepped thrust washers was not going to work. So I removed the gear, thrust washer and bearing from the shaft using the press again, and installed a stock thrust washer without a step. This provided .009” clearance. This value is also verified after the main shaft and gear assembly is installed in the case after the pre load is set.

I just had the SAME EXPERIENCE assembling #340 today! Glad I read this before I called you.:doh: Interesting how the clearances seemed to have changed now.

I also noted that the idler gears spin freely in the housings now. Nice improvement.;)

They have not updated their instructions to note the use of the set screw on the back side of the case for the hi-lo shift shaft. Curious.

Steve, I think if you add in one more pic showing the folks how you press the FOP bearing into the front extension housing, this build up thread would be a better 'real world' resource thread than what AA has.

:cheers:

They have not updated their instructions to note the use of the set screw on the back side of the case for the hi-lo shift shaft. Curious.

Can you elaborate on this? Thanks.

I do not have any idea what you are talking about here Mark.... :confused:

Steve, I think if you add in one more pic showing the folks how you press the FOP bearing into the front extension housing, this build up thread would be a better 'real world' resource thread than what AA has.

I am pretty sure that posts 31, 32 and 33 cover that.

:beer:

The rest of this build up and pictures will be up tomorrow...at least that is the plan.

Well, I dropped the 40 off @ Steve's Off Road today and the combo should be here by monday...three day shipping from MN-->TN. Not to shabby Poser! :beer:

It should be done by the time I get back from Park City next week. I was gonna ask Steve to take some pics of it going in...but since its a direct swap probably not worth it...If something comes up during the install I have them take pics and I'll post in the thread.

Thanks again Poser! For those who remember all the issues I had with the initial build up over the last 2 years (search!), Poser has restored my faith! A completely painfree and quick transaction!

Todd

I do not have any idea what you are talking about here Mark.... :confused:

I am pretty sure that posts 31,32 and 33 cover that.

1. Update. I looked at the case again today while I was updating my customer on his project; it is case #350, not 340. Apparantly in the intervening time, AA implimented the set screw they had told me about last summer. As I told you and Mike last spring, I was annoyed when AA changed from the interference fit on the shift shaft to the 'floating' version that relied solely on the rear key to retain AND ANCHOR it. Factory tolerances on the key material varied widely, and the shaft in my case had enough 'float' in it to make me weld up a custom key to stop the shaft from moving.

Now, AA has apparantly updated the design to correct this issue. The hi-lo shift shaft now has a tapered hole in it in the part of the shaft that would be directly under the rear side of the transfer case housing, just forward of the rear o-ring. The case has now been drilled and tapped to accept a set screw with a matching bottom on it. Now that I've looked at your pics again, I realize that the case you worked on does not have this provision. Obviously I didn't look that closely yesterday. Now I realize I will have to post a pic of this and add it to your thread for reference.

2. Install pic. I honestly don't know how I missed that. The pic I was thinking of is right there in 33.:eek: I guess those 11pm post times are catching up with me!:doh:

Well, I dropped the 40 off @ Steve's Off Road today and the combo should be here by monday...

Thank you Todd....now just get back up here for a few days and play around in your old stomping grounds with your truck and new gears!

Here's a pic of the case with the extra hole and set screw in place.
orion set screw.JPG

So, would it be a good idea for those of us with early cases to add this set screw option?? (Would have been nice to do while the case was out of the truck!) I've not had problems with the shaft coming loose, but not too sure about fore and aft drift....

Cheers!

When did they start machining the recess for the shift rail reataing tab ?
I agree with mark that the shift rail retaining tab vary widely from factory and have a huge effect on the shift collar positioning.
I will look at my case again ( # 100) but IIRC it has no recess where the tab attaches.

When did they start machining the recess for the shift rail reataing tab ? I agree with mark that the shift rail retaining tab vary widely from factory and have a huge effect on the shift collar positioning.
I will look at my case again ( # 100) but IIRC it has no recess where the tab attaches.

John-

In these pictures you can see that I am (was) working on case # 339.

Mark is building case # 340. I would say that it started with # 340.

If you ever decide to pull your case and have the high-speed gear cut and install the stepped thrust washers, you could think about it at that time. I would not pull a functioning case down to do this modification.

Not talkin bout the set screw bs but the oval shaped recess where the case is tapped for the tab bolt and the hole for shift rail. IIRC that area was not milled out on my case just machined flat where the tab bolts on to hold rail.

Orange-TO-14.jpg

BuildOrion-01.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you get the billet nosecone? Warden used to have them rolling around his shop-I wish I had bought one. I'm saving a good ribbed one for a future Orion project, though an H41 + split case + gears might do instead.

So, would it be a good idea for those of us with early cases to add this set screw option?? (Would have been nice to do while the case was out of the truck!) I've not had problems with the shaft coming loose, but not too sure about fore and aft drift....

Cheers!

IMO, the need for the set screw was precipitated when AA decided to have the shaft 'float' with o rings on both ends. The earlier cases that had an interference fit don't have the same amount of force being applied against the key. In other words, if you don't have a double o-ring shift rail, I don't think you need this mod.

Hth

Mark A.

In other words, if you don't have a double o-ring shift rail, I don't think you need this mod.

Hth

Mark A.

Cool! Thanks Mark for the clarification. Mine has a single O-ring at the case rear by the keyway, front is interference fit.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom