GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So are there any Toyota Bilsteins still out there? I can find them but they are now $1000+ ish.
Also what is the real advantage jumping from a $1000 to a $2000 set?
I am trying to figure out the advantages and dis advantages of keeping the rear air vs springs.
Air Pros: Came with vehicle, auto adjusting to height and therefore weight, adjustable ride.
Air Cons: Complex system, can pop out during high articulation, can pop, lots of failure points

Spring Pros: specfic tuning, simple, robust
Spring Cons: Not adjustable, non oem purchase

Am I missing anything.
Also if anyone has a Bilstein fj kit they are looking to sell let me know.

Not sure if the deals on the TRD Bilstein are still available. At $1000+ for the TRD kit, I would rather get the fully adjustable bilstein 6112s for the front and 5160s for the rear. If u run heavy, then see about getting a heavier spring for the front.

I still have my rear air bags. No problems so far. It rides a little harsh when empty. I have the spring conversion kit ready.

By the way, just to make sure you are clear on this, the adjustable ride that you mention is due to the oem e-shocks (sport, normal, comfort) and not the rear air bags. You adjust the valving electronically on the oem shocks.

The rear air bags adjust for height only (lo, normal, hi) and only at low speeds. It goes to normal around 35 mph or something like that when in hi.

I would say that another pro of the springs is more articulation so maybe the tires stay on the ground better on offcamber situations. Maybe long shocks and springs in the rear could work well.

The $2000+ suspensions have the beefier and sturdier shocks that can be manually adjusted by a professional for height and valving. Some of them have remote reservoirs for more oil capacity. You also get to choose the spring rate for the front.

I think that you will have problems with rear springs if you constantly change the load from empty to heavy.

Ok so option A is looking like a good choice, Noob question, Is there a way to install it and keep it at stock height? then Later if i feel i need the extra push i can take it apart and bump it up to 11? You can write what I know about offroading on a BB with a wide tip marker.

The tough dog adjustable might be a good compromise for vehicle that is used for towing occasionally. Sherpa off road is having a group buy till the 31st for $1050.
I have one on order. Hopefully I can get mine soon.

I went with this set up. Any advice on leveling it out? The front is noticeable higher. For some reason I thought the conversion kit would give me that extra inch, I have no idea what made me think that.

The SSO rear coil kit adds some lift. You may need to add a spacer to the rear coil. What notch are the Bilstiens on? They will settle after a couple of days.

The SSO rear coil kit adds some lift. You may need to add a spacer to the rear coil. What notch are the Bilstiens on? They will settle after a couple of days.
I think there’s 4 notches and I believe they are on the second. I’ve let it settle for about 2 weeks, not very many miles though. I do like the idea of going a little taller in the rear instead of down in the front. I’ll look into the coil spacers.

I think there’s 4 notches and I believe they are on the second. I’ve let it settle for about 2 weeks, not very many miles though. I do like the idea of going a little taller in the rear instead of down in the front. I’ll look into the coil spacers.
If I did rear spring spacers, would I also need new rear shocks?

Just a quick update on the Bilstein 6112s. Apparently, earlier in 2019 Bilstein released a new front coilover kit with 650 700 lbs/in springs. They call it a heavy duty kit for the front for
4Rs and FJCs. No mention of GX470, but I would guess they fit the GX470. The details are for 4R/FJC, so subtract about an inch on the lift numbers for a GX470. This is my guess.

Also, check your vendor reputation as I think I found this description from a vendor that might have bad customer service.

Moreover, the MSRP $799 price is starting to push these out of the low cost section, but if you can find them on sale then they are a good deal.

2/14/2019: NEW BILSTEIN 6112 HEAVY LOAD for 03-09 4Runner / FJ Cruiser
New from BILSTEIN Suspension - B8 6112 Coilover Heavy Load! Bilstein Part Number 47-284142 Featuring a beefed up 650lb coil spring, this 6112 kit was designed for those with 80-140lbs of added weight or for those who dont mind a slightly stiffer ride to achieve from 1.7-3.4" of lift.

Bilstein B8 6112 leveling kits are designed to provide more ground clearance, allow for larger tires, and increase wheel travel. Multiple snap-ring grooves in the body allow for different spring seat positions, providing 1.5-3.2 inches of front lift. These kits consist of (2) 60mm shock absorbers combined with (2) custom matched cold wound coil springs and (2) billet aluminum spring seats. The large 60mm digressive piston allows for increased damping control for optimal on-road and off-road capabilities. Experience the legendary Bilstein off-road experience with the best direct fit spring and shock kit for your light truck or SUV.
Bilstein 47-284142 fits:

Toyota 03-09 4Runner, 07-09 FJ Cruiser

MSRP: $799

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the Bilstein 6112s. Apparently, earlier in 2019 Bilstein released a new front coilover kit with 650 lbs/in springs. They call it a heavy duty kit for the front for
4Rs and FJCs. No mention of GX470, but I would guess they fit the GX470. The details are for 4R/FJC, so subtract about an inch on the lift numbers for a GX470. This is my guess.

Also, check your vendor reputation as I think I found this description from a vendor that might have bad customer service.

Moreover, the MSRP $799 price is starting to push these out of the low cost section, but if you can find them on sale then they are a good deal.

2/14/2019: NEW BILSTEIN 6112 HEAVY LOAD for 03-09 4Runner / FJ Cruiser
New from BILSTEIN Suspension - B8 6112 Coilover Heavy Load! Bilstein Part Number 47-284142 Featuring a beefed up 650lb coil spring, this 6112 kit was designed for those with 80-140lbs of added weight or for those who dont mind a slightly stiffer ride to achieve from 1.7-3.4" of lift.

Bilstein B8 6112 leveling kits are designed to provide more ground clearance, allow for larger tires, and increase wheel travel. Multiple snap-ring grooves in the body allow for different spring seat positions, providing 1.5-3.2 inches of front lift. These kits consist of (2) 60mm shock absorbers combined with (2) custom matched cold wound coil springs and (2) billet aluminum spring seats. The large 60mm digressive piston allows for increased damping control for optimal on-road and off-road capabilities. Experience the legendary Bilstein off-road experience with the best direct fit spring and shock kit for your light truck or SUV.
Bilstein 47-284142 fits:

Toyota 03-09 4Runner, 07-09 FJ Cruiser

MSRP: $799
And the 6112s have lift increments if 0.25" correct, and therefore many.kore than the 5100s. This offset allows for correcting KDSS lean, as I understand.

Yes, the 6112s have either 5 or 6 fixed notches to adjust the height. I don’t know about the 5100s.

I don’t have KDSS and I’m leaning 1/4” to the drivers side both front and rear. I have 6112s up front, but I would have to take the coils off to adjust the lean.

And I don’t understand why I have a drivers side lean in the rear considering I have the oem rear air bags. Unless the height sensor trick is off a little on the drivers side.

Yes, the 6112s have either 5 or 6 fixed notches to adjust the height. I don’t know about the 5100s.

I don’t have KDSS and I’m leaning 1/4” to the drivers side both front and rear. I have 6112s up front, but I would have to take the coils off to adjust the lean.

And I don’t understand why I have a drivers side lean in the rear considering I have the oem rear air bags. Unless the height sensor trick is off a little on the drivers side.
5100s (pic)..

Hmm, yeah airbag trick could be culprit for.lean...

Screenshot_20190413-201615.png

I just had to chime in and say how much I appreciate this information as a new GX owner. I was searching extensively for a mild lift info before I found pretty much all the answers to my questions here.

However, I'm a year too late on the FJ TTUE kit deal. Since I'm only looking to level the front with rear (while keeping the rear air suspension), any other front suspensions out there similar to the TTUE TRD kit?

Not in terms of price. In terms of components, you can pick your own to make a kit like the TTUE

I'd like to offer Dobinson's twin tube kits, Ironman nitro shock and Ironman FCP (also twin tubes)

The Dobinson's seem quite reasonable (this is the 2"-2.5" option) and you can select various options (spring rate and shock heights). Long travel options for non KDSS too.
I've driven a 2" Dobinson's that I think was comfort spring rate.. I think that kit nets 2" from 1" rear (need rear coil kit too).
Ironman nitro gas seems comparable. Also you can select spring loads but it's confusing in performance and consistent are both 650#ers. Is this single rate vs variable or two-single rate springs? 🤔

And finally I posit the Ironman foam cell pro w/o forged UCAs (this save$ some cash outlay), and this link is stock load springs (options for performance and consistent load, both @ 650# exist.....same question as above - do these differ as linear vs variable rates?) FCPs offer adjustment to front lift, Dobinson's and Ironman nitro gas don't offer adjustment to front coilovers assemblies.
I list these options as they've come onto my radar as decent mid to upper entry-level lifts.

Thanks again @HomersCanyonero for starting this thread!

Variable or dual rate springs are only available in the rear as far as I know. For example, the Dobinson c59-675v rear coils have a top spring load rate of 157 lbs/in and a bottom load rate of 230 lbs/in. The MetalTech medium rear springs MT-GSJ-4050 have top rate of 104 and bottom rate of 220.

Front coils come in springs load rates of 600 lbs/in, 650 lbs/in, or 700 lbs/in. Single rate aka linear rate. Not variable nor dual load rate.

Last edited:
Variable or dual rate springs are only available in the rear as far as I know. For example, the Dobinson c59-675v rear coils have a top spring load rate of 157 lbs/in and a bottom load rate of 230 lbs/in. The MetalTech medium rear springs MT-GSJ-4050 have top rate of 104 and bottom rate of 220.

Front coils come in springs load rates of 600 lbs/in, 650 lbs/in, or 700 lbs/in. Single rate aka linear rate. Not variable nor dual load rate.
I haven't decoded ironman's consistent load vs performance rate as they both list @ 650#....

Got it. I know the least on the ironmans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom