GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Bama80 thanks for the report on the TRD lift kit. You basically got a 1.25" lift in the front. How does the new suspension feel? Nice and plush? Nice and firm? And if you don't mind posting the approximate costs of the kit and the extra parts.

@Docwyte I got GX strut mounts. KYB was the brand. In my layman's brain terms: one of the washers has a "D" shaped hole that has to be Dremeled out to match the other washer's standard "O" shaped hole.

So rear ride height remained the same as stock? Can you take a measurement from the ground to top of the factory roof rails for me? Reason I'm geeking out so much on that is I have a 4 post lift in my garage and only have 78" of clearance from the bottom of the lift rails to the ground.

With the 265-70-17 BFG KO2's the truck measures about 76.5" with the factory roof rail cross bars on it, so I really don't have much room to go up and still fit the truck in my garage underneath the lift.

So if this setup only lifts the front, but the rear ride height remains the same, then I'm good to go...

@phishtaco Thanks for posting the links to your suspension and the prices. I have a couple questions specific to your setup.

1. I know you went for the 3" OME, but which one did you get for the front?
2. Measurements after install? Like hub to fender for both front and rear? And you feel you got like a 2" lift or 2.5" lift with this setup?

Originally, I didn't add the 5100s to the table because at the time there were some concerns that the GX470 might be at the 5100s weight limit. How do you find your setup working for you?

Thanks

@HomersCanyonero Sorry, I have Fox 2.5 COs and Ironman rear springs.
I would have purchased the above setup if mine was not equipped.

I did put 60k+ miles on 5100 setup on stock coils on my previous V8 4runner. I thought it was perfectly fine especially from my geography.

@Docwyte @subspd I'm running the TRD FJ kit with factory airbags on my 07 470 with KDSS. Lifts the front about an inch and a quarter, effectively leveling the truck with the rear bags in the N position.

I'm not convinced it's actually a lift so much as it's restoring height back to the system. Since the TRD coil and OEM coil are the exact same height and the spring rate change is fairly minimal.

I'm not convinced it's actually a lift so much as it's restoring height back to the system. Since the TRD coil and OEM coil are the exact same height and the spring rate change is fairly minimal.

As long as it only raises the front I'm in good shape. Only have 78" of clearance for the truck in my garage and its ~76" tall right now.

If the coil sits higher up on the TRD 6112 shock which is taller than the oem shock, then you get the height from that.

Also, the gx470 did not come level from the factory. It has a rake and the rear is taller. This kit levels that rake.

So, it appears that it does provide a lift in the front, but might not raise the tallest point in the roof rack area as someone is concerned about.

Ok, that was what I was hoping for. That means the tallest point of the truck is going to remain unchanged and I'll still be able to squeak it into the garage under the lift.

Going to order the kit this weekend then, figure my stock stuff has 112k miles on it and while it seems to still be working ok, I'm sure its pretty worn out. Don't want to wait for it to totally die, then find that this kit is totally sold out and have to spend three times as much for the same thing.

@Docwyte worst case you could always lower the rear by putting the airbags on lo prior to entering garage! But that would be a pain

@Arailt I think I could squeeze 275/70s under there but I imagine there would still be some rubbing at full lock.
@Docwyte I don't think it raises the rear at all but I will check for sure tonight. I honestly think it just restores stock height with a slight de-rake in the front.
@HomersCanyonero its a little bit firmer than stock. It floats over potholed/washboard roads really well with no bouncing. It shines at hitting bumps at speed but I wouldn't call it plush.
~$580 for the kit
~$60 for new strut mounts
~$550 for 3.8 book hours to assemble/mount front struts and alignment at my local shop. Did the rear install myself.

$640 for just the parts is pretty darn inexpensive for basically a new suspension as long as you keep your rear air bags!

Think I'm going to drop the hammer on this. My new lift gets installed this Friday (yippee!!) so once I get the GX underneath it and can check the room I have I'll order the kit.

I have 112k on the stock stuff now and it seems to be working fine but I know I won't be able to get another suspension kit like this for under $600 once this kit gets sold out. So better to spend a little money now vs spend a whole lot more later

I don't think this justifies a separate thread, but just a food for thought item in regards to budget vs. non-budget suspension. I have a stage 2 Icon setup on my 5th gen 4Runner (tubular UCA, 2.5" front, 2" rear). With Black Friday, I paid $2500 installed. 35k miles later, I had one front shock leak. I chose to rebuild them both, and it ended up costing me $480 (removal and reinstall, rebuild). It dawned on me that that amount is about 1/2 of what a Dobinson's or OME kit would cost. My only experience with OME was on an 80 series, and I had a set for quite some time before my first shock leaked.

That’s a good point that repairs on the rebuildable kits can be costly.

I had my Icon 2.5 coilovers rebuilt for $350. I removed them. So if you don't do your own work, yeah, it could add up. If you do...it could save you money and have a far better shock in the long run.

Took an impulsive buy today.
Sherpa off road is having Tough Dog adjustable set

I like adjustable. Been wanting BP-51 but this offer at 1/3 of the price shipped seems too good to be true and jump on the change while it last.

This deal was canceled so I back to hunting for adjustable suspension deals.

Last edited:
Took an impulsive buy today.
Sherpa off road is having Tough Dog adjustable set sale for $770 plus shipping. This include spring mount and both front and rear spring.
Discount code 120TOUGH from GXOR
Only 15 sets available.

I like adjustable. Been wanting BP-51 but this offer seems too good to be true and jump on the change while it last.

You should link that up. Seems like a smoking deal for the money.

Subbed for knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Just adding some pictures of Bilstein shocks that I found online that show the difference in body diameter and shaft diameter.

6112vs5100_BodyThickness.jpg
6112vs5100_ShaftThickness.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom