GUTLESS up hills only (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess if you love the cruiser and plan to own it for many many years, I would suggest starting to save for 5.3 vortec conversion.

Some people change to efi on their cruisers, but man that's like 1500 bucks. I really dislike carbs more than anything. But I cannot say much as my 3B diesel is a slow beast on hills. Soooo slow.

But speed is relative, don't drive new powered cars to get spoiled. I've have semi trucks pass me on hill climbs. I would drop a new 5.3 in my cruiser if it was gasser in a heartbeat. Smooth and less fuel used. Go from 10 mpg to 15-20 on the hi way. LOl.

I also own a 5.4 V8 powered Excursion. On the Ford forums they call them slow. I say drive a cruiser or vw bus to really know what slow is. My excursion feels like a rocket compared to my cruiser. But my cruiser gives me a smile when I drive it. But I don't drive it often to keep that smile....

i ordered the diaphragm from napa and will go from there...so i'm 20 bucks in...i can still go for a rebuild as most kits
don't include that part i'll keep you all posted
regards
O’Riellys does. They provide probably the most parts of any kit except the Hygrade one @pinhead uses in his rebuild videos.

Agree on the Oreilly's kit. It is pretty much complete and even has the OE style leather accelerator pump plunger as opposed to the rubber one.

Beware of some of the Chinese carbs. I had an out of the box carb have a failed secondary. I drove it like that for months.

I’ve got a city racer and I’m very happy.

The 2f is an industrial fork truck engine. I’ll just leave this here.

silly question time

there is a bolt sticking out from the floor of my fj which limits the throw of my gas pedal is that stock or some attempt to limit my secondaries from kicking in and improving gas mileage

by the way my diaphragm is working perfectly...i noticed no movement of secondary shaft visible when i open the throttle with the truck not running

That is an OE bolt. And it is moarer proper to call it a 60, or Sixty- fjs are in another tech forum.
Do you have the FSM?

Climbing it fells like it is the equivalent on an automatic stuck in overdrive that won't kick down or having a motorhome w/a 4bbl w/no secondaries....Any suggestions or is the motor w/259,xxx and all it's smog stuff just tired or carbon clogged....

As others have said there's absolutely nothing that will remedy this problem with a 2F powered 60 series. The beast will always be a dog going up hills, period. Desmog would probably be a good idea though. If/when your tires wear out then going back towards stock size would definitely help too.

The bolt on your floor isn’t limiting your secondary. The secondary throttle shaft doesn’t move when you move the linkage by hand. What it does is the primary shaft has a tab that blocks it from moving until WOT. Once the linkage goes wide open, tab no longer limits the secondary. Then vacuum to the diaphragm moves the secondary linkage. If you are checking linkage by hand with engine off, move the linkage to WOT and hold it there. Then manually move the secondary linkage. It should move. The secondary circuit is not a game changer on your gutlessness. Even with a working secondary your truck will still fight you on hills.

If your tires are 33" (with the stock axle gears) it'll never perform well accelerating up a hill
are axel gears an easy replace?

Replacing axle gears "could be" easy if you happened to find both front and rear FJ62 complete 3rd members, (now pretty rare) then you could just swap them in. They have a higher gear ratio than in the 60.
But the usual option is to have a shop do it for you that has the experience and tools to do it. It's "easy", just very expensive since you've got to change two.

Even 4.11's with 33's will not help much.

Replacing the ring and pinion gears in the front and rear axle differentials is not cheap. Ring and pinion sets alone are $300 each roughly speaking and then there is the fluids. And since you are in the axles, you rebuild the knuckles etc... The rabbit hole is deeper than you think.

Doing it all yourself with the help of a local cruiserhead will make things be a weekend job and about $1,000 all said and done.

Does OP not realize it takes more power to drive up a hill rather then down?

I wrote a long winded BS response to this, then @cruisermatt posted above.

So I will add this.
You are driving a 1980's vehicle with a 4-speed transmission. It was designed for a 55mph world. It is the life of this vehicle. They are running utilitarian engines designed to be abused and out last most. They were put into anything from a FJ40/60, forklifts to a baggage tractor (look it up).

Be happy if you can pass an 18 wheeler.

As for the carb, if you cannot desmog, get it rebuilt by a pro such as Jim from TLCPerformance. If you can, get it done by Jim or get a City Racer carb as others mentioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom