Guidence on 1978 FJ40 Passing Smog in CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

overton

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myfj40.com
I have a customer in CA wanting to purchase a 1978 FJ40 and I believe all the emission equipment is present on the truck however being in a state where they do not have smog tests I don't have the expertise to offer regarding "IF" the truck will be able to pass smog in CA.

Attached are a couple engine shots. The truck has had PS added. If you have a 76 or newer FJ40 that is smog legal in CA, especially on that has had PS added, I would appreciate your comments or guidance.

78 FJ40 FST087.jpg
78 FJ40 FST088.jpg

It looks very promising to my eyes. Judging by the cleanliness of the engine compartment, it looks like it's been thoroughly gone through, and yet left unmodified for the most part. That's quite special. I assume there is a smog pump buried under the power steering pump.
One area that appears to be modified is the ignition, so that's something to investigate.

I recall reading a few posts regaurding CA smog test passing that Fast Eddy posted. Here's some keywords I recall him mentioning in some of his informative posts, perhaps search posted by "Fast Eddy" and add the word SMOG or PASS with the following:

Mark A.
Marksoffroad.com
Fj40jim
Tire pressure
Legal
Marvin

Last edited:
The gold finned box on top of the epoxy type ignition coil looks to be an older Allison or early crane cams (they bought out Allison) points conversion to electronic ignition module

If that is what it is ... they are legal in all 50 states ... keep documentation to show

Living in California, I encourage you to separate factual information you can verify through the California DMV and Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) websites from 'urban legend'.
As mentioned, make sure mods are accompanied by the necessary BAR approvals.

The trick to passing smog in California is that all the original smog equipment is still in place and functioning. It will have to pass a visual test. A decent tune on the car and make sure it is at operating temperature before the sniffer test. Providing everything is in order and the engine isn't totally worn out, meaning burning too much oil, and it should pass. Carb adjustment or timing may throw things off. Other than that it should be fine.

If anything is missing during the visual, no pass.

If you're under-hood sticker says the vehicle is Federal spec, Kali will run the test to Federal specs. So, if the truck will pass emissions in AZ, it will pass in CA. That is the bottom line.

Check out this post Mid ’76 FJ40 Federal Resmog

And I now own that Emission test box shown in post #2 and would gladly loan that to you. One hitch is that it is already on loan (past few months). I need to check it's status anyway.

Many engines that will not pass the tail pipe sniffer test in slick old Cali will pass that test by simply adding a new cat. converter- - -even though the year model does not require a cat.. And the good news is cat. converters do not measurably affect performance, they just act as a muffler and keep the rig a bit quieter.

And I now own that Emission test box shown in post #2 and would gladly loan that to you. One hitch is that it is already on loan (past few months). I need to check it's status anyway.
@lenmn where in WNY are you? I grew up in Williamsville and am also working on a '76, may need to smog it one day............

@lenmn where in WNY are you? I grew up in Williamsville and am also working on a '76, may need to smog it one day............
Hey @tls3601, I live in Snyder and work/office 5 minutes down the road in Williamsville. Wish it were in Az so I could drive my 40 in the winter without fear of salt. You are welcome to borrow the tester anytime and I have the Emissions manual as well.

To pass, a few things needs to be in place.

1. Visual inspection, they will look for smog pump, air rails, etc..... Also they will go off your VIN plate and determine if it is a Federal or California Spec vehicle, and test accordingly.
2. Make sure the carb is running good.
3. Make sure you have a cat on it, a new cat will make sure you will pass emissions. Having a carbureted engine does have it's perks, they are not as strict. But as long as you have a cat in place, it should offset any minor issues you have with the sniffer. Before going to the sniffer, drive the vehicle for about 20-30 minutes so it is nice and warm and the cat will do it's job.

Seeing as how there are multiple vac hoses routed wrong, it seems unlikely to pass a sniff or visual test.

If this is a 78 Fed spec, it already had electronic ignition and a dual diaphragm distributor. If it has been downgraded to an early F points dissy with single vac, that is problematic also.

Hey @tls3601, I live in Snyder and work/office 5 minutes down the road in Williamsville. Wish it were in Az so I could drive my 40 in the winter without fear of salt. You are welcome to borrow the tester anytime and I have the Emissions manual as well.
Wow small world!!!! FWIW I live at a mile high up here in Prescott area and they began salting highway 69 two years ago....................and I thought I had escaped the horrendous salt routine back in Buffalo!!! Of course we do get very little snow in the Winter, mainly up on top of the Mtns around us. They used to use nothing but cinders up here................of course Phoenix 85 miles away no salt at all!!!!

Oh, so this is not a Kali spec car. Federal spec carb may not be able to pass smog in California.

Indeed. I had to reduce the primary jet to something closer to CA original spec. The CA original spec jet makes the engine very hesitant off the line. Most people would not like it much.

If you're under-hood sticker says the vehicle is Federal spec, Kali will run the test to Federal specs. So, if the truck will pass emissions in AZ, it will pass in CA. That is the bottom line.

Are you saying there are different thresholds for HC, CO and NoX? Hmm... Not saying your wrong, but I am at least very surprised by this. A repro federal underhood sticker would sell to me very easily if this is the case.

That's a great thread. I have it permalinked in my .sig.

I'd like to borrow that test box with eyes towards making a copy. :)

Many engines that will not pass the tail pipe sniffer test in slick old Cali will pass that test by simply adding a new cat. converter- - -even though the year model does not require a cat.. And the good news is cat. converters do not measurably affect performance, they just act as a muffler and keep the rig a bit quieter.

'78 doesn't have a cat as OE. I'm not sure if you can add one, and I surely wouldn't do it to my rigs. Too much heat in one place. Eew. They can be made to pass without so much effort if the engine is in good shape.

To pass, a few things needs to be in place.
3. Make sure you have a cat on it, a new cat will make sure you will pass emissions.

See above...

Getting it really hot for the test is a good idea. I've run e85 for a test and passed, but the same rig passed later without it. Assuming a treadmill, pump up the tires a lot, 45psi??

Assuming the vacuum hoses are not perfect as Jim is suggesting, you need the correct emissions manual for that year. They have them all at SOR, for varying, not inexpensive prices.

Last edited:
That's a great thread. I have it permalinked in my .sig.

I'd like to borrow that test box with eyes towards making a copy. :)

'

Anytime @Fast Eddy, as long as we don't turn it in to a donor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom