Group help on valuation... Yes, that time is coming :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
As some of you may already know I am looking to sell BeBe my 60 in the next years time. Circumstances in our life have changed that really we could use something with a bit more towing capacity than the wife's 2011 4Runner and really we don't want to sell that and replace with something else as we will have it paid off shortly. On top of that, we have no need for a 3rd vehicle, as normally during the warmer months I ride my bike to work (lucky enough to only live like 3 miles from my office).

Anyways, the plan is to upgrade to a 100 Series Land Cruiser (maybe LX470) so I need to figure out what my truck is worth. I have a number in my head due to all the work and stuff that I have put into the truck but don't know how realistic it is.

Here is a link to my build thread, I have documented pretty much EVERYTHING on there. (photo album of everything)

To put it into some perspective so that those who are not familiar with my build thread can give a bit of thought and conjecture.
The good:
- Less than 200k (originally purchase with 146k-ish, speedo cable broken and so last three years the PO I purchased from had the truck no mileage change over. However, he was an older gentleman that said he mainly used to run down to his cabin in the middle of Utah about once a month, so conceivably less than 5k miles a year, definitely less than 10k/yr).
- No accidents noted of on Carfax, no indications I could find of accidents as I have gone through working on the truck
- Head gasket done about 2yrs ago with clean-up of the head, new valve guides, cleaned up valves, etc.
- New waterpump at time of headgasket
- New thermostat at time of headgasket
- New radiator (replaced with brass core Champion) about 6 months after headgasket due to leak in top
- New Toyota OEM radiator cap installed at time of radiator replacement
- DieHard Platinum Group 34 battery installed in 2013 (still running strong, with bluetooth volt meter for tracking)
- Various new hoses as time has required
- New JimC rebuilt and desmogged carb (thing runs beautifully and still have old stock carb)
- JimC idler pulley installed (smog pump was seized when I purchased)
- New belts, rotor, cap, plugs and wires all done in 2014
- FourRunner upgraded battery cable kit installed
- 120amp fuse installed for direct connect between battery and alternator
- New denso reman'd alternator installed in 2014 with new denso voltage regulator
- SLCFJ62 jumper box with extra capacity installed to convert headlights to H4 style bulbs
- Cibie headlight lenses installed with PIAA 55/60 bulbs
- AALs added to all corners and springs re-arched by spring shop to add approximately 2" of lift
- New SkyJacker 9000 series shocks installed with MAF greaseable shackles and pins, with Energy Suspension bushings
- Hella 500FF lights installed on front bumper with yellow applique film (gives old school look I think)
- Most all chrome has been blacked out
- Custom PT Cruiser seats installed with butt warmers
- Smittybuilt console replacing stock
- Wits' End glove box insert installed
- Wits' End gentex mirror arm with Gentex mirror with homelink and autodim from 2007 Prius
- Toyota OEM Aussie (EURO) mirrors installed
- Cruiser Corps Dash Cap installed
- Knuckles rebuilt in 2014 with kit from Georg with added Marlin inner seal
- All tierods replaced in 2016 with 555 TRE kit from Georg
- Brake Master Cylinder and Booster replaced in 2013 (PO thought booster was done, but ended up being MC) with Toyota OEM
- Carb fan grounded as sensor is missing but has been rewired to work (was dead when purchased)
- Fan clutch replaced with new Toyota OEM unit, fan shroud split mod done at time
- Toyota power steering pump installed (old was leaking), pulled from a salvage 60
- All toyota OEM glass except windshield
- Joying 7" touch screen head unit installed (works great with installed GPS and is CarPlay/Android Auto compatible) with Rockford Fosgate speakers all around (rear panels built to accept 6x9s and covered with marine vinyl to match interior)
- Toyota OEM Inclinometer (not currently installed)
- Toyota OEM grab bar installed (from Australia)
- 4 new Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 31x10.5x15 with 1 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx (8/32 left) installed on spare
- Entire truck was repainted last year with heavy duty "farm implement" paint
- Lots of rust replaced with fresh metal, doors replaced with good doors from donor trucks
- Custom exhaust done with 2" to 2 1/2" conversion at down pipe from manifold, new cat installed along with Thrush turbo style muffler
- E-brake freed up and working properly now after years of having bells frozen
- 2" hitch installed, no wiring present

The Bad:
- Entire truck was repainted last year with heavy duty "farm implement" paint (still needs cut and buff to get rid of orange peel and few spots for touch-up)
- Truck has been completely desmogged (so only certain buyers will be able to register)
- Oil pan needs replacement as drain plug leaks (have oilpan gasket need to get new pan and plug)
- Front heater blows warmish air, occasionally will blow hot (have spare from good working truck but need to backflush current)
- Oil leak from flywheel/transmission area (not bad, assuming it is rear main)
- Seal between t-case and tranny leaking, MAF router line installed to flow between the two
- Rear pinion seal starting to get "wet" looking (will probably need replacement soon).
- Upholstery on doors is not great and coming apart (mainly vinyl at top)
- Rear seat has tear in vinyl about 3" long, otherwise solid
- Headliner is dirty with few small holes and tears here and there
- Body has various dents still present after paint (was not meant to be a show queen so wasn't overly worried and did not have plans at that time to EVER sell)
- Windshield has a-typical pillar leak (Believe it is seal behind fender and not A-Pillar issue)
- A/C blows cool air, never looked into as I don't care for A/C so could need a recharge or system could be bad
- Carpet not in the best shape (PO was smoker), rear cargo area is worst

So with all that said, I was hoping to get somewhere between $6k-$8k for the truck. I have put a lot of work into her but I know that my own valuation is not overly accurate, the question is whether I would be able to get that. I plan on attempting to take care of the oil pan and paint by spring of next year so those things can come off the list but want to stop investing larger amounts into her unless it would potentially add to the resale value. Main premise behind the price is I know that should cover at least half of the cost of a decent 100 series (looking for 2000-2007, less then 280k on the clock, preferably without NAV installed and AHC, good service record history and no accidents) so that would leave me minimal that I would either have to save up or finance. Color is not a huge thing for me of the 100 so anything will do as long as it is now black (already have one black car).

So, MUD family ... WHAT SAY YOU!!

I think you’re right on the money. I’d post it for $10,000 off of IH8MUD though :) You were brutally honest about the work it needs. A buyer off the street should be able to inspect the vehicle and negotiate.

Thanks guys... @klinetime574 Yeah I was kinda thinking of doing that... I hate stuff like this because I hate haggling and this truck has been such a personal thing for me, learning how to weld, lots of wrenching, learning to paint, learning to fabricate, etc. that I don't want to get the first offer and feel insulted. I know the market for 60s is up right now, which is part of the reason for attempting to sell sooner than later, but at the same point you get the people who know about them (like us) and will be honest with a good price and then the people that are off the street and know of them or are just looking for the "cool" factor of an older vehicle..

I will definitely miss rowing my own gears for sure, but we just can't keep her like I had originally planned.

I like the list it for 10k and see how it goes. $6-$8k seems a reasonable expectation.

At this point I am debating if I want to throw signs in the windows and see what happens, not necessarily list online yet.
Also have a decent sized bin of extras and whatnot that will go with the truck. Creature comforts of a "modern" vehicle will be nice in the winter but man will I miss the looks, thumbs up and whatnot of driving BeBe around. Even had someone part the 60 next to me this weekend when I was in Costco. I know most of the cruisers in town and this was a new one for me.

So thinking what, throw $10k on the window and do like $8000 here? Never sold a vehicle before so this is all new to me.

Last edited:
Post an ad on Craigslist. It's easy & free. That's how I sold mine. It took me 6 weeks. Lots of interest in the vehicle. Then weed out the looky loos and time wasters. Don't let a looky loo test drive it. Only a serious buyer. My buyer had to come back another day to do the test drive. I got really lucky and sold it to a local guy. Everything worked out great, but sure... I had my doubts. Be patient.

A couple months back, someone parked a 40 across from HomeDepot on 395 for about a week. There was a constant stream of lookers checking it out. So a window sign may be a good idea.

I think there is a good market for LandCruisers in the valley and surrounding areas. I know every time I take my 60 out people ask me about it and/or if its for sale.

Bummer your selling, but, a 100 don't suck!

Good luck

Write up a nice explanation and laminate it. Then post in the window and see what shakes out.

CL is good place to start. Get ready for the low ball emails, the scammers, the tire kickers, the people who tell you about how their husband lost his job and they can’t fee their 14 kids and would you look into your heart and just give them your vehicle etc. it’s quite an experience but eventually the real buyers appear.

Ok thanks for the info guys, I think I am going to start with the FOR SALE signs before listing on CL or here. Just to make my life easier at the moment. Got a lot of travel coming up in November so may see about parking it at our friends shop on HWY 50 East while we are out of town.

And @doug720 yeah I saw that 40 sitting out there. I was eyeballing it when the wife and I were leaving Target. You don't happen to recognize a white 60 with plates DRTIGRL do you? Guy parked next to me at Costco this weekend and was not a cruiser I recognized.

I've seen the DRTGRL 60 parked, and a couple times around Minden/Gardner, but I thought a guy was driving it? There is a nice white diesel 60 around CC also. Only seen it parked...

Yeah there are a couple nice ones around Carson. Dr. John owns the brown FJ62 that is all decked out. Don't see him driving it as much as he used to.
Going to stop by HD and grab a couple for sale signs to throw in the windows. Been doing some interwebz research and $10k starting price should be a good starting point outside of MUD. Figure I will post on the interwebz in the Spring if it doesn't sell by then so I can do the oil pan, paint and a few other odds and ends (Like J's AC surround that he is doing out of aluminum! Mine is toast)

Well just threw up a "FOR TRADE" in the 100/LX470 Classifieds so will see what happens.

Their is no way I would sell that for a 100 series being that you have done so much work on it. I would sell the 4runner and get a 5.7 sequoia. They are usually 15 to 20k. A 2011 4runner should be able to bring in close to 20k, so it would be a straight trade basically. A sequoia is also nicer to drive than a 100 series, has far more power, towing capacity, and is more reliable.

Sad to see you go, but totally understand.

10K is a good place to start. I would actually have it at $9999 seems that many people will skip past at that $10000 price, to many zeros.
You could always take a ton of picture and put it on Ebay with a reserve. I have sold 2 vehicles on there and both were excellent transactions.
Obviously throw it on here, you would be surprised.

I think your build thread on BeBe is a buyers dream seeing what’s been done and what’s to do. ;) Sorry to hear Greg but there comes a time in ones life to move on.:(

Higher price my man. LCs outside of MUD are pretty stupidly priced to the mainstream non-enthusiast market.

Their is no way I would sell that for a 100 series being that you have done so much work on it. I would sell the 4runner and get a 5.7 sequoia. They are usually 15 to 20k. A 2011 4runner should be able to bring in close to 20k, so it would be a straight trade basically. A sequoia is also nicer to drive than a 100 series, has far more power, towing capacity, and is more reliable.

I wish that was the case but the wife loves her 4Runner. We had looked at a GX470 with lower miles than the 4Runner (but a bit older) to trade for, but deal feel through. Since then, hasn't been that big of a deal and while the thought of getting a 2nd Gen Seqouia has passed my mind, really that is much bigger than we want/need. We have no kids, only three furry ones which one is 14 already and has to be helped in/out of vehicles as is.

Plus with the 100, I will plan to have it do same duties as BeBe does now, which is mild trail duty along with camping gear and whatnot. On top of that, with the 4Runner about to be paid off, the thought of having another vehicle payment is not something we want. Lots of view on the 100/LX470 Classifieds but no takers at this point. Again, not like I am in any real hurry to get rid of her now, but if the right deal popped up...

I am sure that I will be in a 60 again down the road at some point. Will never tire of rowing my own gears, just life has other plans at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom