Events/Trails Greater Santa Fe Recreation Partnership: April 29th , MON , 6-8 pm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On this last Monday evening, 12/10/2018, I attended the first public workshop for the Greater Santa Fe Recreation Partnership Trails Planning -Kick-off Workshop, at the Santa Fe Community College.

This is an emerging collaboration of governmental and nongovernmental partners fostering proactive dialog , collective action, and development and implementation of a comprehensive outdoor recreation master plan in the greater Santa Fe area

Basically different user groups, Horsemen, Mt bikers, hikers, land owners, and motorized off road groups, got together, and made suggestions for multi-use trails and roads in the Santa Fe and Los Alamos area.
The 4 wheel drive and off road motorcycle folks there, where mainly interested in getting the Forest Service roads, that were closed on the Caja Del Rio area of the SNF., west of Santa Fe, reopened. This would include the Tank Trap area and other Forest roads that were lost when the Travel Management Rule came out. We asked for reopening of loop roads and new areas opened for more difficult 4x4 experiences.

Each group provided their input on what their group would want for hiking, mountain biking, horse riding and winter sports , also. About 70 people attended this first public event

The next meeting will be in mid January, 2019. I will post details when I receive it. I would encourage NMHDC members to come to these meetings, to support getting back some or all of the 4x4 roads we have lost in the past. There are Forest roads around Los Alamos that we want reopened also.
More information: Tahnee@swdresourses.com

This is an ongoing process that has seen good results in the Prescott, AZ area for many multi-use groups.
So , we hope to see good cooperation in this area, too.

Thanks for doing that Jeff, your efforts are appreciated.

Do you know if any representatives from NMOHVA were in attendance?

NMOHVA was there. I am a member too. About 9 NM4Wheelers were in attendance, along with several other 4x4 folks. Various motorcyclists that use these areas were there.
Frank Whiston, this year's NM4W president, sent in detailed information on the areas that 4x4's want open for our sport, along with maps of these areas.
They had Map Stations:
A. Greater Santa Fe.
B. Los Alamos
C. Caja
D. Galisteo

Each group could add to the maps, their specific requests for trails, roads, etc.
I am on the mailing list now, so I will pass on any information, as I get it.

Thank you Jeff!

You guys really need to get and stay involved with this. Down here in Texas there is not the wheeling that there is in the West. If you've ever been to e.g. the San Bernardino NF you can see why the Sierra Club et al are so involved. Unfortunately it's almost a perverse point of view, as it's not realistic when applied to the rural U.S. like NM.

I have been on the front lines of land access in New Mexico"s public lands for a few years. Getting tired of loosing ground, But I will stay on this new approach and hope for the best. I grew up in Texas, and moved here because there were lots of public lands in New Mexico. In Texas, there is hardly any place I could go to camp in the back country, only established campgrounds. If you showed up too late , and all the camp sites were filled, you had to go back home. In NM, you used to just drive deeper into the forest and find that camp site away from anybody else.
In the last few years, those NM back country areas are getting closed off to motor vehicle camping , for no good reason. We are starting to get crowded together, which is not my idea of camping. So we need to fight for access to public lands.
If we don't show up, they will assume we don't care. So, I will post up info regarding the next meeting and encourage all, that can, to show up.
I now will step down off the soap box.....:D

A few years ago we voted for a continuing resolution to join NMOHVA. That went fine for a few years, until someone unilaterally decided to quit and spend our dues money on hamburgers instead. I never heard about any vote, it just happened. It's too bad some people just don't get the big picture. Don't throw away that soap box!

A few years ago we voted for a continuing resolution to join NMOHVA. That went fine for a few years, until someone unilaterally decided to quit and spend our dues money on hamburgers instead. I never heard about any vote, it just happened. It's too bad some people just don't get the big picture. Don't throw away that soap box!

Steve, at the holiday party last night I brought this discussion up. We are going to renew our membership, and send a little extra to their Access Fund.

I know NMOHVA will use this support . I will stay on top of this Greater Santa Fe lands use issue and report anything back to this thread, so NMHDC will be in the loop. Sorry I could not make the Christmas Party. Hope a good time was had by all. Jon, thanks for presenting this to the group.

Next Santa Fe meeting is Jan 22 , 2019 Tuesday, 5:30 pm in Santa Fe. Location is still "TBA" . Will post location when I have it.

Because of the Government shutdown, the employees that are running this meeting are not at work, so this 1/22/19 meeting is being rescheduled to some future date. I will keep this group updated on this as I get information.

The Greater Santa Fe Recreational Partnership Meeting has their next meeting on March 14th 6-8 pm, Thursday, Santa Fe Community College
6401 Richards Ave, Santa Fe , NM

This is the rescheduled meeting, that was canceled during the government shut down, earlier this year. This meeting will begin the determination of which trails will be opened for motorized use in the Santa Fe area. Please try to show up for this meeting. We need another large 4x4 presence to make sure our recreational needs are served. Pass the word to anybody you think would be interested. Thanks.

I THINK I can get this evening free. If anyone wants to carpool up please speak up

No information about a specific room. Last time, we just entered a building to the north of the main parking lot and found the room. try to get there a little early and follow other people that look like they know where they are going. If I here of a room number , I will post it. Thanks for your interest , hope we have a good showing. This fell on the same night as NM4Wheelers monthly meeting, so some of that group will not make this meeting.

Regarding the Greater Santa Fe Recreational Partnership,

Just received notification that tonight's meeting at Santa Fe Comm College. has been canceled related to weather. No new date was mentioned. So, I will post a new meeting date when I hear of it.

NEW DATE for this 2nd meeting of the Greater Santa Fe Recreational Partnership:

April 29th , MONDAY , 6-8 pm At Santa Fe Community College 6401 Richards , Santa Fe , NM.
Try to show up for this meeting to help identify 4x4 roads that you would like to remain open or be reopened in the Santa Fe area.

That said, I cannot make this new date as we will be out of town that day. I could have made this meetings on the last to canceled dates, but not this one. There should be more meetings before any final plans are adopted. I will post any future information on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom