Grease splatter on rear rim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.n-que.ca
Hi guys, I just noticed a few spots of grease splatter on my rear left rim. This wheel also had two hub nuts replaced about 3 months ago. Should I be concerned or is this normal, haven't seen this on any of the other wheels. Check out the attached pictures.

IMG_6167.JPG

IMG_6168.JPG

IMG_6169.JPG

It's a bad inner axle seal and an easy fix on a FF axle.

Personally, I'd do it now, because the gear oil will wash the grease out of the wheel bearings. Literally, what needs to be done, could be done start to finish in 1 hour, assuming you have the parts on hand and the old wheel bearings are good and just need to be re-packed with grease.

It's a bad inner axle seal and an easy fix on a FF axle.

Personally, I'd do it now, because the gear oil will wash the grease out of the wheel bearings. Literally, what needs to be done, could be done start to finish in 1 hour, assuming you have the parts on hand and the old wheel bearings are good and just need to be re-packed with grease.
Thanks Cruiser drew, I would work on it but it's Sunday and the parts markets are closed so I can't get the deal and gasket. The bearing were replaced about 7 months back so they should be ok. I wiped the grease splatter off this morning and took her for a round, after which I observed the following in one of the hub nuts, looks like the surface source of the leak, check the pictures.

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

Check your axle vent tube too. A clogged vent will put leaks under pressure and make them worse.

Thanks @Juggernaught , I will check that as well.

This is what happened to my rig, I just completed the entire seal and bearing swap last weekend. Yours will be much easier as it's a FF To my SF

Unbeknownst to me the breather corroded shut and blew the seal.

Do yourself a favor and buy the full rebuild kit from SOR, this has everything for both sides and as others have said, it's your best bet to do both

Page 088 Land Cruiser USA Semi Floating Rear Axle

If you want to save more money, you can rent all the necessary tools at autozone to pull the bearing (there are 3). The slide hammer, bearing puller attachments, and the flat bearing taps you use to hammer the new bearings and seals in place

You can return all the tools and there's no time limit for a full refund. I did this in 4 hours on my back in a parking lot, and saved a lot of money doing it

Tip: I spent some extra coin on Royal purple gear oil. If you don't know when it was last changed or with what, this is easy insurance as it's the best gear oil around

@EasternYeti he has a full floater axle. Yes you can get away with it leaking but it needs to be fixed asap if you run it like that to long as said before you can have damage to your hub bearings or hub or spindle/rear axle housing.

The OP is in Pakistan. Not sure how many AutoZones they have! And shipping form SOR would be a killer!

Guys, thank you for the great feedback, a quick update. I checked the hub nuts and the one where the leak was showing wasn't fastened completely. So I carefully opened it and tightened it(wrist tight as advised) and did the same with all the other. Also I removed the rubberized undercoat(see the after picture below). Since doing that there doesn't seem to be any further splatter. I don't however consider this a fix as based on your advise because:

1. Why was the grease there in the first place even if the nut and washer were just a little loose

2. The axle breathers could well be choked so that needs inspection and maintenance.

So I will get the axles check this weekend and get all the necessary work done accordingly.

P.S. @EasternYeti would love to get all my stuff from SOR but as @Cruiserdrew said, shipping would be 300 times the cost of the part. That being said, we have specific markets here that are basically junkyards for Land cruiser parts for the 40, 60 and 80 series. Will have to get the tools from a local second hand tools market as well. Thanks again though.

IMG_6187.JPG

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

When you bearings were replaced the hub wasn't sealed properly. Do not use silicone or other flexible sealers. Doing so will lead to broken studs.

Use a paper type gasket and adhesive type gasket sealer.

When you bearings were replaced the hub wasn't sealed properly. Do not use silicone or other flexible sealers. Doing so will lead to broken studs.

Use a paper type gasket and adhesive type gasket sealer.

Will do, sending her in tomorrow for full inspection and maintenance of the rear axle. There is no further grease splatter, but on close inspection of the tightened hub nuts, I can see a build up of oily grease.

Hey Guys, I had the axles checked out and it was broken seal only on the left rear axle. Resealed, repacked and so far so good. Thanks again for the advice and sharing your stories as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom