GPS - What are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was planning on adding a GPS unit to my LC and wanted to see what ya'll were using.

What type of unit? Installed, handhelp, auto, laptop?

Where and how did you mount it?

Pros and cons of your unit.

I know we are simple people, so pics would be great.

I'll start. My preference would be for a handhelp that I could mount to the A-pillar or a small auto unit that could be mounted up by the rearview mirror or maplight. Either way, to do it in some way where I can hide the wires and have it look as OEM as possible without being dash mounted.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to hearing from you

Romer - if we get enough responses, perhaps add to FAQ?

Thanks,
Emmett

Are you looking for on road/driving direction use or off road performance?

for me? both

I have seen several handheld units with mapping capability for on and offroad use. My use would be primarily road use.

Here is a thread on my unit:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=109798

You will find a lot of the information in the general section. This would not go in the 80's FAQ as this has been determined as a generic option and there is a section to discuss this called "Electronic Toys"

Do a search

select advanced tab

select electronic toys

type GPS in keyword

I got 39 threads.

You could expand that to the general section as well as some may still be located in the camping gear section.

Thanks, Romer. I had done a search on GPS, but had not gone advanced....

I have an Alpine Navigation (851) unit that I picked up off ebay for $400. I already had an Alpine Multimedia screen so the Nav unit hooked right up. The downside is that Alpine charges $300 for the updated maps DVDs, but since they split the nation in half (west vs. east) I was able to sell the east half DVD for $150 to offset my costs.

If I didn't already have an Alpine screen I'd probably go with one of those handheld units like the Magellan or TomTom.

Garmin makes the most feature packed and user friendly GPS units out there. Im using a handheld Garmin GPS Map 76S. If you use a hand held with vehicle mount - you can carry it with you when hiking, hunting etc.

There are cheaper models - but I like all the features of the 76S - also it has moving map display.

Mio 310. Got a great deal a few months ago for $199 from Frys.com with free shipping. Great little entry unit with 3D software. Also includes the Sirf III chip and windshield mount.

Watch for sales at Staples as well.

Dave

Update--just checked Frys.com and now they are $189.00 out the door with free shipping. Best deal around for a new GPS with that software and latest Sirf III chip.

Garmin Etrex Vista

Just got the dash mount with the 12V plug-in wire and used it for a road trip to Utah. Great size for using as a hand held and adequate while dash mounted.

Sad thing is that I had to use my brothers unit as mine has gone to crap. Toggle button is screwed up - doesn't move certain directions depending on its mood. Screen has progressively gotten worse to the point of not showing anything now. Rubber "armor" is coming unglued. I've had it for about 5 years or so. Co-worker of mine has the Etrex Legend and she has reported the screen issues as well.

Mapopolis on an HP Compaq/Ipaq 5555. Very detailed maps. I have every square inch of North America.

www.mapopolis.com

I have topoUSA 6.0 on my HP tablet on a laptop mount in the truck. Delorme has a bundle to buy topoUSA (offroad tracking), Street Atlas (onroad tracking) and the GPS receiver (USB) for $170. I love it because I can go from off to on road easily and it records the offroad directly to a topo that I can overlay on just about any other program.

I got the laptop mount from www.autolaptopstands.com with the platinum plus heavy duty job.

Whatever you get, you want the Sirf III chip. I bought a Garmin 60SCx for use in the woods and the Land Cruiser and it works regardless of canyons, treecover, etc. It's absoutely awesome.

My old GPSs used to always lose signals, which was a pain when driving around on logging roads trying to find stuff.

I second the MIO c310x..best bang for the buck and it hackable so you can run TomTom, iguidance or whatever pocketpc gps program you want.

I use a notebook PC with MS MapPoint (same program as Streets & Trips)

The good:
14" of widescreen mapping goodness :-D
Cost was around $100 + laptop I already had
Can easily move between cars with USB GPS rec'r

The bad:
Does NOT announce street names, like "Turn right on Main Street"
Doesn't do very well automatically re-routing
Need to change notebook settings so it won't power off
Somewhat difficult to specify the roads you wanna take
A couple other annoyances, like extra prompts, etc
My notebook has a shiny, reflective screen...not so good in daylight.

Overall, I've been happy with Mappoint/Streets & Trips and recommend it for general, on-road use. Especially if you often have a passenger who can help navigate, and if you have a power connection for your notebook. I personally use an iGo everywhere and it's worked out very well.

-G

I just got my Lowrance 600c. First GPS and I have to say I love it.

I recently picked up a little Gramin eTrex Vista. Haven't put it to real use on the trail yet.

I don't really drive my 80 much on the highway anymore, so a mapping GPS is low on my list of priorities.
Qualifier: I've never personally used a large-format mapping GPS unit--but I'm very skeptical of their utility in the backcountry--what good is a road map if there are no roads where you are?

I've got my little GPS mounted to the windshield (not blocking my view, though) and connected to a little beater laptop that's running National Geographic Topo! software.
Topo! is not really highway or road software at all--it's really just USGS maps (down to 7.5 minute quads) seamlessly digitized, including digital elevation data. It will plot waypoints and draw breadcrumb trails. The high-rez USGS maps are great for navigating in the middle of nowhere.

I have my old trusty Garmin GPS V mounted in the ashtray with power, and an external antenna on the bullbar. We do some hiking too so it's great to just toss into a backpack. I'm somewhat directionally challenged so I always set a waypoint where I parked. Otherwise I'd be forced to eat my kids, and they're too small for a good meal.

My wife's Acura came with the navigation package which I think is totally cool. A large color screen would be better for my failing eyes as well, but too heavy to schlep on the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom