GPS - What are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been using a Garmin V... sometimes hooked up to a little 10.5" diagonal laptop in my 60. It's really nice - color, moving maps and I use Garmin Topo software. All works nice.

BUT... I have used the talking 3D style GPS units and I'm sold. What I want to know is which Garmins have the talking/3D features AND let me add the Topo software... I'd prefer using my current Topo v3 that isn't 3D 'cuz I'm cheap and don't want to have to buy new software too...
Is there a 3D version of the topo software out there... Garmin or otherwise? Is there talking topo?: "Hey, turn left at that next big rock up ahead just past the mud hole"

Mark

Mark

I use a Lowrance unit and it works great. Of the 3 big brands I like Lowrance the best, and then Garmin. When I was in the military we were given Magellan units to use and usually 3-4 out of 6 would stop working. That was years ago though.

... I have used the talking 3D style GPS units and I'm sold. What I want to know is which Garmins have the talking/3D features AND let me add the Topo software... I'd prefer using my current Topo v3 that isn't 3D 'cuz I'm cheap and don't want to have to buy new software too...

Is there a 3D version of the topo software out there... Garmin or otherwise? Is there talking topo?: "Hey, turn left at that next big rock up ahead just past the mud hole"

From what I've seen, going from 2D to 3D is a big indication that they will not be compatible. If the GPS has a standardized output protocol for interfacing with generic software that uses the same protocol, then it might work for basic GPS functionality, but for advanced features, you’re probably better off finding software that's meant to work with the GPS. Still check your software to see what protocols it accepts and go from there.

My experience with looking at newer models, is that they are more geared towards the average Joe, more so then the older one's that were more geared towards the more technical explorers. The new one's pretty much come with all the detailed maps already built in, so the average Joe finds very little need for extra software, and thus what is available software wise is usually expensive and not very well done; if it even exists. Another reason for this is because many mapping programs like MS Streets & Trips and others will work with GPS’s that use standardized protocols. I do know that Magellan made some decent 3D mapping software for there GPS’s, which may be compatible with some of the more standardized protocols.

My old Magellan Sport Track Map does much more of what I want then what I've seen from newer models, mostly because of what I can do with the older software interface. My biggest complaint about my older GPS, I wish I could get updated maps and maybe a few some updates to the fix some software bugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom