Builds GoTroopy - A Dubai Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're truly blessed to have such a beautiful country, but unfortunately not many overland travelers from outside have gotten to experience it, until now. Its fantastic, and humbling to see the positive vibes of those travelers at the end of their trips.

I hope you can share more of your photos here, as well as your experiences along the way.

Thank you for sharing.

Great build man, never really been a fan of the Troopy silhouette but yours changed my mind.

Its great/fascinating to see pictures of the middle east like this, im sure like most places its easy to have some misconceptions from the outside. Just followed you on instagram and I look forward to seeing what you do next

Great build man, never really been a fan of the Troopy silhouette but yours changed my mind.

Its great/fascinating to see pictures of the middle east like this, im sure like most places its easy to have some misconceptions from the outside. Just followed you on instagram and I look forward to seeing what you do next

the Troopy is kinda so ugly it’s beautiful. It’s definitely a face only a mother can love.

The Middle East is certainly unique, in both its landscape and its way of life. It’s not perfect, but it’s provided me a safe and and hospitable home for the last 9 years.
Even with Saudi’s reputation, it’s been on my bucket list for many years. With the visa I have, I can make multiple entries and be North of Riyadh with 12 hours solid driving including border crossing, so it’s opened up yet another land to explore.

the Troopy is kinda so ugly it’s beautiful. It’s definitely a face only a mother can love.

The Middle East is certainly unique, in both its landscape and its way of life. It’s not perfect, but it’s provided me a safe and and hospitable home for the last 9 years.
Even with Saudi’s reputation, it’s been on my bucket list for many years. With the visa I have, I can make multiple entries and be North of Riyadh with 12 hours solid driving including border crossing, so it’s opened up yet another land to explore.
I'm also following your IG - your pictures sure are next level! Keep up the good work. BTW your Troop's colour scheme is totally unique and the best one I've seen so far 😍

Happy New Year everyone.

A trip to Liwa (Empty Quarter) on Christmas Day to witness the solar eclipse, then out in to the desert to fund solitude on New Years Eve, and a night in the mountains out on the Mountain Bike is all to report.

I’ve bitten the bullet and having an aluminium water tank fabricated locally to sit behind the rear sub tank, plus ordered the Elgano KB6 12v water heater to make things a little more comfortable for the wife. Hoping the water tank will be in before I head back to Saudi at the beginning of Feb for 8 nights with the wife.

BDC23FA2-4401-42CE-A822-15D0074E9554.jpeg

58D16848-F9ED-4983-B6AD-A7153F7D458F.jpeg

D714937B-F1E7-46AC-9983-9F1763EDDE7F.jpeg

B2C95EF7-A22C-401A-BDE3-B65A365F8AC5.jpeg

Oh, I also cut all the zips out of the tent. No more rattling with the slightest breeze.

A1E375E7-F155-4F18-89BB-3EF16D83B47B.jpeg

I love that last pic with your bike. Maybe I missed it but are you using a bike rack on the back?

Not using a rack at the moment, but planning to fabricate something once I finally sort a rear bar.

At the moment, I can fit the bike in the back, stood up and ratcheted down to the cargo tracks on the floor.

Absolutely no updates to report, apart from
The fact there’s an extra 5k km on the clock and I’ve stolen as many single nights away as I can manage over the past few weeks.

We had some epic storms in Dubai a couple of weeks ago, which allowed me to test the weather proofing of the roof. I was shooting the Dubai 24h race, which was initially red flagged at 22:00, then eventually cancelled around 08:00 with much of the track around 80cm under water. I pitched the tent for a few hours to wait out the storm and see if they restarted the race.

I’m replacing the aluminium interior panels, which were poorly produced by the fabricator who worked on the car originally, in 3mm ACP with satin black finish. This is the same material I’m planning on rebuilding the interior cabinets.

Still trying to perfect the design before I start cutting panelling. Now also considering building an aluminium frame and skinning it with the ACP to add rigidity, rather than using wholly build cabinets in ACP. I’m hoping this frame would also five me a better platform to fix the cabinets to the floor and walls of the Troopy, plus secure the various drawer slides.

Has anyone worked With this material before who can offer any advice or guidance?

Here’s a photo of a friend in his GRJ71 and me out in Wadi Helo, shortly after the storms.

38B62B40-9125-4A5D-B7ED-855AED5ECBB0.jpeg

I looked at your Instagram, 50,000 kilos already! Wow! I hope that I'm reading that right.

By the way, any idea what oil brand is being used for the oil changes? Everything in Japan is geared towards gasoline and I want to keep the dealer out of the loop so that I don't have to pay exorbitant oil change fees. I already know that one engine oil change is going to be at least $150.

I looked at your Instagram, 50,000 kilos already! Wow! I hope that I'm reading that right.

By the way, any idea what oil brand is being used for the oil changes? Everything in Japan is geared towards gasoline and I want to keep the dealer out of the loop so that I don't have to pay exorbitant oil change fees. I already know that one engine oil change is going to be at least $150.

Well, 45,000km. It’s my daily driver too, and my commute is around 100km per day, plus weekend trips. I worked out I’ve covered around 10k in Oman on trips and 7k in Saudi, so miles well spent.

I’m using a 5w30. I can’t remember the brand, but it’s one of the big global brands, like Castrol or Shell. The garage that’s servicing it now has moved away from the 20w50 that the local agent used. Interestingly, the Saudi dealer who serviced it on the last trip used 10w40.

So the lockdown here in the UAE means I should theoretically have more time to work on the truck and get it finished.

I say theoretically, as it's currently in the workshop having a new front bumper fabricated and some bits and pieces sorted out.

Part of the work that I'm most excited about is them ripping out the old s*** interior. This will hopefully give me the kick up the arse to get the new interior designed and hopefully at least start the fabrication.

No photos yet. Let's see when this lockdown opens up a little bit to get the truck out the workshop.

In other news, I have bought a 1FZ 1997 80 Series as a daily. Not huge plans for it apart from tidying it up and preventative maintenance.

IMG_0892.jpeg

Has anyone fitted a second rubber seal around their doors to minimise dust, water and noise?

The road noise coming around the Troopy doors are horrendous so thinking it may be a good thing to do - looking for recommendations.

Has anyone fitted a second rubber seal around their doors to minimise dust, water and noise?

The road noise coming around the Troopy doors are horrendous so thinking it may be a good thing to do - looking for recommendations.

I tried sticking weather strip (the regular stuff you stick on your windows at home) on the back of the body work to try and create a tighter seal between the backdoors and the body. Helped a bit in keeping dust out.

But keeping dust out in Africa is relative, probably no different in the Middle East... after a days driving through the bush you need to do some sweeping and cleaning in the back. Our best investment has been a €1 brush ;)

I must admit that the hinges on my rear right door aren’t the best (it sags a bit and needs lifting to close) and suspect the door rubbers are original (1996).

In Africa all the canopies on pickups have a wind scoop. This creates over pressure in the canopy and keeps the dust out. Supposedly you can do the same in a troopy by opening one of your sliding rear windows a tiny bit (I have fixed windows and no a/c, so always drive with open front windows which sort of ruins the theory I think.

I tried sticking weather strip (the regular stuff you stick on your windows at home) on the back of the body work to try and create a tighter seal between the backdoors and the body. Helped a bit in keeping dust out.

But keeping dust out in Africa is relative, probably no different in the Middle East... after a days driving through the bush you need to do some sweeping and cleaning in the back. Our best investment has been a €1 brush ;)

I must admit that the hinges on my rear right door aren’t the best (it sags a bit and needs lifting to close) and suspect the door rubbers are original (1996).

In Africa all the canopies on pickups have a wind scoop. This creates over pressure in the canopy and keeps the dust out. Supposedly you can do the same in a troopy by opening one of your sliding rear windows a tiny bit (I have fixed windows and no a/c, so always drive with open front windows which sort of ruins the theory I think.

Thanks Paul.

I had assumed the same really regarding seals but want to do something, mainly for the wind noise. I may try adjusting the doors also as they may not have been put back on well after the respray.

Dust is an issue here too. I normally brush or blow out the interior every few days on a trip here but a lot of the fine dust just won't budge unless wiped off walls, cabinets, glass - it really does go everywhere!

Dust is an issue here too. I normally brush or blow out the interior every few days on a trip here but a lot of the fine dust just won't budge unless wiped off walls, cabinets, glass - it really does go everywhere!

I was planning to order new hinges and rubbers at some point, but hearing that a brand new HZJ78 has the same issues is a bit discouraging haha!

I suspect probably the only solution is ... to accept it :confused:

Part of the work that I'm most excited about is them ripping out the old s*** interior. This will hopefully give me the kick up the arse to get the new interior designed and hopefully at least start the fabrication.

How is the interior coming along, any developments or nothing happening due to lock down? What material dit you decide to use?

How is the interior coming along, any developments or nothing happening due to lock down? What material dit you decide to use?

nothing happening. The car is locked up in the workshop who we’re building the bumper as they’ve all been shut down now.

It’s shame I can’t get on with it but at the same time, I don’t think I have the motivation.

So the lockdown here in the UAE means I should theoretically have more time to work on the truck and get it finished.

I say theoretically, as it's currently in the workshop having a new front bumper fabricated and some bits and pieces sorted out.

No photos yet. Let's see when this lockdown opens up a little bit to get the truck out the workshop.

In other news, I have bought a 1FZ 1997 80 Series as a daily. Not huge plans for it apart from tidying it up and preventative maintenance.

View attachment 2262770

I crack up that they love their hood ornaments in the middle east.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom