Got me a new toy for the Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oh i never bought one, i just priced it out, fainted, and had one made...
cheers and PM sent...

Well I got it all wired in and it works!!!!.

Remote works!!!

Nice and smooth pull too.

The wiring was easy in the end, the two wires that had been cut off were to an isolator relay wired so that it only works with the ignition on. Going to wire up an internal switch as well so I can isolate it even when the ignition is on as well and trip it via a relay as the wiring is a bit thin.

Apart from that I'm well made up with it.

While I had the bumper off I used the spare holes in the failead mounting plate to fit a couple of small projector fog lamps that fit through the apertures in the bumper next to the number plate and fitted a pair of Driving lamps to the A bar mounted on top of the bumper.

Just won an OEM front fog lamp switch as well on ebay.

Toys are us!!!

Oh and thanks to Wayne for pointing me in the right direction with those two wires.

Last edited:
Now got the ignition feed for the isolator relay switched through another relay and connected back to an ignition source, works well now and the wires don't get hot anymore. Anyone else noticed how inadequate most of the wiring size is on Toyotas. They really seem to go for the smallest diameter cable they can get away with. most of the problems I have ever had with Toyotas has been electrical. Wiring upgrades seem to be a good thing to do, think I'll do one on my headlamps next.

Some pictures of the completed install.
DSC00657.JPG
DSC00658.JPG
DSC00659.JPG

harveya said:
Couple of pictures of the Winch and bumper.

Harv,
What is that aluminum plate that the plastic winch cover is sitting on shown in post #2? What is its purpose?:confused:

Tapage said:
Nice andy .. very very nice ..

So I need to ask .. did you have some special place to do off road over there .. ?

David.

To be honest there are a few places but getting less thanks to the government and the walkers trying to get off roaders banned (don't start me on that one).

However there are also quite a few organised off road centers - one a few miles from me that has lots of mud, steep climbs, drop off s etc.

Haven't taken the Cruiser off road yet as to be honest it's a bit big for most of the centers and I am also still running on road tyres - used to take my Hilux Surf there though. However I'm getting the Cruiser ready to do a 1000 mile charity off road run next year by which time I will be running All Terrain tyres and will have got everything else sorted.

Also as the Cruiser gets older I might retire it from being a daily driver and then I can have some more fun in it. Have to be wary of any damage as I still have to use it for work on a Monday.

harveya said:
Also as the Cruiser gets older I might retire it from being a daily driver and then I can have some more fun in it. Have to be wary of any damage as I still have to use it for work on a Monday.

I have the same plan as you .. right now I have my older ( but loyal ) HJ-60 for hard wheeling .. so I keep my pland for my 80 to the future ..

I tought you have the same situation as spain .. have no much options to use their rigs .. free

Thanks Robin. Just made a list of the parts that I need to finish it off - The filler panel for the top of the bumper, the cover plate with the hook attachment to stop the hook rewinding back and the two side mounting plates that have the recovery hooks attached. Got them off the EPC, just going to call the local Toyota dealer and see if they can still be got from Toyota (not going to hold my breath though).

Also got to tidy up the wiring for the spots and fogs by getting some flexible cable cover and some clips. It all works but looks a bit rubbish.

Harv,
What is the aluminum plate that the red arrow is pointing to?
thanks

Last edited:
harveya said:
Thanks Robin. Just made a list of the parts that I need to finish it off - The filler panel for the top of the bumper, the cover plate with the hook attachment to stop the hook rewinding back and the two side mounting plates that have the recovery hooks attached. Got them off the EPC, just going to call the local Toyota dealer and see if they can still be got from Toyota (not going to hold my breath though).

Also got to tidy up the wiring for the spots and fogs by getting some flexible cable cover and some clips. It all works but looks a bit rubbish.

Well I ordered up (for the exchange of most of my future earnings) from Toyota the bits I want (except for the cover plate that locates the hook - which is not available from Toyota). Ordered the buper filler pieces (two pieces left and right), the left and right side side mounting plates with the recovery hooks on and one other part that I can't quite remeber now. Amazed at the price of the side mountings - £81 each for a piece of 2mm steel (not even stainless).

Andy,
Looks like you will have a nice cpmplete OEM winch installation. I am still looking for one myself but understand they are hard to come by in the US. If you know one that becomes available, let me know.

i'm curious about the connector for the winch controller, i don't know to much about automotive electrical but i am an electrician with mostly industrial background so i do understand how winchs and solenoids work. as well i do have access to different kinds of sealed connectors. could you post a pic of the relay box and maybe the connector. im curious how hard it would be to build a new winch controller. i also installed one in the cab of my bj60 with a window up/down button and lighted (disconnect) switch, theyre not too hard to build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom