Got Lift, now what? Transmission jack, oil catcher, ????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The front Axel jig was a simple design as well. Again utilizing scrap. Working alone, these things come in handy.
7mmiLZy4QQi%rxPwZvxjZQ.jpg

4NSKhw+0QWu2GEk8SrCtqQ.jpg

Notice the rear jack stand supporting the truck. Its placed under the hitch and provides plenty of stabilization.
qRB09zuLQHGolMq8qvVKLg.jpg
r7iw%sD0SkqSacBu6u++qA.jpg

Both jigs utilize a welded nut (capture nut) for easy install/adjustment to the jack's platform.

Owning a lift is a game changer and has paid off in the few years of ownership. Its also a good idea to purchase a couple of jack stands. Pulling large components change the center of gravity , so use those jacks and stay alive!

Hello everyone, I have spent the past hour reading old threads on garage lifts without finding a great answer to what I was looking for.
I am in the midst of researching 4-post garage lifts for my home. Safety is my number one concern. Are there any lifts that are able to be locked out? I want to be sure that I am the only one who can operate the lift, and that my two children can not accidentally (or intentionally) operate it. Do any lifts have a master key switch (or similar idea)?
Also, I have read where Bend-Pak has special locks integrated into their lifts as an added measure of safety in the event of a cable break. Are there any other "above and beyond" safety features I should be looking for?
In terms of quality and reliability, is Bend-Pak generally considered the benchmark?
Just to reiterate, safety is my top priority. I need to feel 100% comfortable with whichever lift I choose to install at my home so that I can rest easy when my children are out in the garage.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
All the new lifts I have looked at include ratcheting mechanical struts inside the towers, that hold the weight of the car/truck, and would catch it within a couple of inches if a cable broke. The cables are mostly just for lifting and lowering.

Mine (Dannmar asymmetric two-post) doesn't have a key switch, but if I didn't want anyone to turn it on, I would just turn the breaker for it off. Nothing else is on that circuit.

As far as children are concerned, education is the key, in my experience (five of our own, plus two fostered, and now 5 grandchildren). When they know that it is an ordinary tool and what it does, it ceases to be an object of mystery and curiousity for them.

Last edited:
I don’t think you’ll find one with some sort of lock out feature, however, that would be easy to install on the electrical line running to it.

What I would do, is use a switch like this added somewhere near the controls and electrical coming in, and that feeding back to a relay (actually a contactor) that turns the power on or off feeding the motor. So this is simple 120 power (fed from separate source) that when keyed off will switch the 220 relay off. When on, it will allow power to feed through. I did a similar set up for my air compressor system in my garage using a typical air-conditioner relay -- I use a timer switch (not keyed) so the compressor stays on for the time I set it to, thus I always "remember" to turn it off when I am away from the shop. I had a compressor red hot when a line broke and it stayed on for hours.

Leviton 1222-2KL 20 Amp, 120/277 Volt, Key Locking, Double-Pole, AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Grade, Chrome Leviton 1222-2KL 20 Amp, 120/277 Volt, Key Locking, Double-Pole, AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Grade, Chrome - Wall Light Switches - Amazon.com

You could also just set up a switch that you could put a padlock on. Cheap, and when your kids are older, you will not have to mess with the key.

Last edited:
Ordered a pair of these for working under the lift. My neck sure will like em. I also ordered a different pair with cheaters at the top and bottom. Anyway, I thought some of you older fellows who require cheaters could benefit from the info.

Oh and if you use promo code 49SG5V6Z you'll get a 10% discount.

Last edited:
Just made these and added this to the side the lift

B694AE3E-74E1-4103-8C33-4930C61A8BE1.jpeg

630F3FC9-CD07-41AE-AFFB-D4A039E9EAA9.jpeg

323FB2BE-6EA8-4BAE-9EC6-740C49998D0D.jpeg

8DC0D248-ABD5-40E6-9A4B-FABE36E18C59.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom