Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac or General Grabber A/TX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Baby needs new shoes, and I’m going up a size to 31x10.5x15 (stock rims). I’ve been happy with the BFG K02s, but the Goodyears and Generals are highly rated and a relatively better deal, so thought I’d try a change. Anyone care to share 60-series specific experience with either of these?

The truck is driven about 2-3k/year, primarily on road, but with a couple of overlanding trips per year, mostly over hardscrabble forest service roads and light mud. It will also see hub-deep snow in the winter, which challenges the BFGs (but chains help).

One specific question is about mounting on 15x6 rims. I see a lot of 31s here on stock steelies, but how does that work when airing down for traction? Sidewall wiggle much?

I have the Generals and no complaints. They offer good traction, handle well, and are quiet on the road at all speeds. I haven't aired them down at all but they do balloon a little on the stock wheels. They should really be mounted on a wider rim and some shops wont mount them on stock.

I run Duratrac's on my 89 FJ62. They are a loud tire especially at speeds above 55 mph. Good tires in the dirt and mud and have held up well (20,000 miles). Mounted on stock wheels and have had no issues. Only aired down to 20psi once in the sand and no issues.

General Grabber 255/70/R15 on Stock Wheels for many years. Smooth & Quite ride, good handling on street and freeway, and dirt/sandy roads.

I run Duratrac's on my 89 FJ62. They are a loud tire especially at speeds above 55 mph. Good tires in the dirt and mud and have held up well (20,000 miles). Mounted on stock wheels and have had no issues. Only aired down to 20psi once in the sand and no issues.
You mean I’ll be able to hear them over the engine noise, the drivetrain hum and the wind howling around the brick I’m trying to push through the air at highway speeds? 😂

I've run duratracs on two vehicles and have always really liked them in any situation except ice. I also haven't ever thought of them as a loud tire, at least considering the aggressive tread. No experience with the Generals tho.

New 31x10.5x15 Duratracs here in CT. Digging them.

18B4CD6F-6A7A-46D2-BC62-65CB2D6A31F7.jpeg

You mean I’ll be able to hear them over the engine noise, the drivetrain hum and the wind howling around the brick I’m trying to push through the air at highway speeds? 😂
Haha.... hence my bumper sticker.

0513E598-F7E4-4D2A-A5CB-4E961034BCCD.jpeg

I have been running Duratracs for 5 years and they are really good. I have the ATs and they are not loud. I am running 33x12.50x15 on 8” wheels, So I can’t comment on running stock wheels. We use BFGs on all of our fleet trucks and honestly , I feel the Wranglers wear better. Just my .02 worth.

I thought the Duratracs were known to have a notoriously weak sidewalk? I would worry about in my terrain m. May just be heresay IDK

You cant beat the BFG for sidewall strength if you are running in terrain that requires it. I did get a puncture in a sidewall on my Duratrac but that was after I compromised it by running it nearly flat for longer then I would like to admit. I fixed the hole in the tread but I think the sidewall was weakened.

I thought the Duratracs were known to have a notoriously weak sidewalk? I would worry about in my terrain m. May just be heresay IDK
I've never run duratracs but I will say from experience the only times I've seen sidewall punctures and even a tread puncture were Duratracs. 3 times. pokey Utah rocks and sticks. YMMV.

I've never had an issue with my BFG's but I'm kinda itching for a change.

I have A LOT of experience with tires... reading internet blog review threads of tires, that is. ;) From what I hear Duratracs have weak sidewalls which sounds like it wont be an issue for you considering your driving. Also, they are phasing them out, so you have to wonder why.

Based on my research I think I'll go with the Toyo Open Country A/T 3's.

I've gone to the Duratracs. Third set now. First are 33x12.5r15-C on 8" rims now on my daughter's 60 (25k+ kms / 16.5k m & still 13/32nd depth). Ran Whipsaw last year at 15psi with a 2800kg 60 series. Lots of rocks and roots, ran great. Another set on a 3rd gen 4Runner also with about 25k km (LT275/75r16-D), which plays in the dirt as well. Still great too. I just put a new set on my 60 (LT285/70r17-D) <500km. Went for a little expedition yesterday and hit snow at 500m and got to about 700m in really heavy wet snow. Brought chains, but was plowing snow with the front axle and chains wouldn't have helped much (had 4 but didn't put them on). Used to run BFG AT KO's, and yes have sliced open sidewalls on them (no, they weren't KO2's). Plus I buy an extended warranty for less than $20 Cdn per tire and it covers free replacement for 5 years.

20210402_170146.jpg

that’s too bad the duratrack is being phased out. i really liked them. i use them studded as winter tires and they’ve been great. i actually found them quieter than my old BFG ATs. i use dick cepek fun country tires for my summer tires and they’re really nice too. way better traction than the ATs were but nicer highway manners than a mud tire.

first photo goodyear
second dick cepek
A44DF5EA-CC07-497C-9F13-F7A9DC452786.jpeg
BB80DD4A-6EC5-4206-BADC-29EC5338EAA6.jpeg

I wheel hard and love the Duratracs. They do have a weak sidewall and I have killed 3 sidewall punctures. With that said I have the 4wheelparts extreme warranty so it costs me $40 bucks to replace if tread life is over 50%. I run them on my fzj80 in a 35 inch/315 10 ply tire.

One puncture was a sidewall pinch on the Rubicon Trail running about 10psi on non-beadlocks. The other one I remember was a giant stick on the highway at 60mph.

Its the best tire I have ever run in snow, ice and rain that performs pretty well in general conditions. They are quieter if you keep up on rotations and balancing. I think their overall performance all around offsets the weaker sidewall.

My second vote for tires is Toyo MT open Country. Thats what I run on my 60 in a 37.

If you drive in the snow at all I wouldn't recommend the Generals. I could not believe how bad mine are in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom