gas tank slow fill, pump keeps shutting off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Haven't posted in ages, our 2000 LC still trudging along, 131K miles since we bought it new.

Aside from timing belt service at 85K, and tranny failure at 90K, it hasn't seen too much dealer time.

Over the last four months, had issues filling the tank. The pumps auto shut-off, need to trickle fill the tank. Here in NJ, no self-service, so getting an attendant to stand and fill for 20 minutes can be difficult!

I've looked at the charcoal canister, blown out lines with compressed air, but didn't find any hard blockage.

Finally some searching turned up someone mentioned a delaminated fuel filler hose (foot long rubber hose from filler pipe connected to tank). The hose has a plastic insert somehow welded to the rubber.

I ordered one from the dealer for $40. Yesterday put the rear end on stands, got under there and removed three bolts holding gas filler pipe in place (note that they are one time use), was able to remove the two clamps on the hose and pull it off the tank. The tank end was blind, did not lower the tank. Just enough room to fit my hand and a small socket.

Here's what I found, compared to the new hose

The plastic inside the rubber deformed, almost closing the hose, so fuel could not come in a full volume.

Not a bad DIY, luckily the clamps came off easily. I replaced with new ones from the dealer.

Is this an ethanol issue?

Thanks,

Dave
2000 LC
2003 BMW 540i6

Never heard of one of those going out... :hmm: Hope it's not chronic.

I always (or many times/very often) have a hard time with pumps from certain stations! Not all of them will make that happen but for sure there are some out there that will ALWAYS do it as well!
Never went digging for the root of the problem so it could be something similar (or not).

I always (or many times/very often) have a hard time with pumps from certain stations! Not all of them will make that happen but for sure there are some out there that will ALWAYS do it as well!
Never went digging for the root of the problem so it could be something similar (or not).

Similar situation - I've gotten mad at gas stations that took so long to fill my truck, while other cars had no issues. I assumed it was a problem with the pump. Problem kept getting worse though, and certain stations refused to fill at all, saying my tank was full. You can see the gas coming back up the filler tube. Only a slow trickle would work.

Numerous google searches found one instance of a TLC owner talking about the filler hose being deformed. He said dropping the tank was necessary to replace, which luckily I didn't need to do. Wasn't sure if all the hoses would have enough slack to come down without disconnecting.

My point of posting is to put it out there for all to see, and hopefully right key words to let a search pick it up. It's got to be happening to others.

Dave
2000 LC
2003 BMW 540i6

Again, the hard times came from pumps that had the spring loaded vapor cover and then you have to slightly pull it out and manage to still have the cover positioned so gas will actually come out! PITA for sure, haven't look at it yet but could be the deformation in there not affecting the older style pumps.

I rarely have that happen here in New Mexico, but every time I have gassed up in Cali, I have to fill it by just barely putting the nozzle in, otherwise it cuts off constantly.
One issue that causes this is when a previous person using your pump has topped off their tank. DO NOT DO THIS. Modern emission and safety controls on gas pumps will cause a pump to have this exact issue after a top off until it is physically reset.

image.jpeg

I wanted to bring this thread back from the dead and say thank you to OP. You saved me a lot of time. I had the same issue filling the gas tank. A slow trickle is all that could be put in without it backing up and spilling out. Found this thread and got lucky.

The job was very easy with the right tools (10mm socket and eye protection) and was just a matter of loosening two hose clamps and feeling around. Getting the new one on took some muscle and loosening the clamps quite a bit more than on the old hose.

Thank you OP!!

I've replaced a fee at the dealer. Not the biggest problem but annoying. Not to expensive a fix either

I think this part swap is in my future... Taking me 15mins to fill the tank and have to barely hold the trigger. Just inspected the part in question and it looks to be slightly kinked at the bend. 240k on the clock.

must'a been all that gas i put in going to HiH. didn't really start until the trip home. I wonder if the pressure issues we encountered on the mountain multiple times were either a result of this, or caused it?

finally tired of taking 20 mins to fill the tank, so part is ordered and I'll report back!!

After 35 mins to fill the tank on my trip back from expo, it was time to tackle this. Yep, same problem as @lstamatis!

IMG_2503.JPG

Here's what the new one looks like.

IMG_2505.JPG

Took about an hour. Filled 22 gals in about 8 mins! Ahhh, that's better!
Thanks to the thread participants!

Wow!! I have been struggling with this issue on our GX470, have stumped many experts on this. It has to be the same thing, glad I stumbled on this today thanks!

Ever do this on your GX? Mine is starting to shut off about 5 times per fill up. Getting frustrated.

Ever do this on your GX? Mine is starting to shut off about 5 times per fill up. Getting frustrated.
No not yet, but I need to. bumping this up again as I was searching for the part number today, can't seem to find it.. was hoping it was here but alas just the part for the 100. as it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom