gas tank slow fill, pump keeps shutting off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question;
What is the part number for the 10mm bolts I’ll need to replace? As the OP states they’re one time use items.
PS thanks for the OP starting the thread and for the the gent who posted the part number.
(Can I just get new bolts at the hardware store?)
Did anyone else need to get new bolts and know what size? Looking to get this done all at once and not multiple trips to the store.
Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. Glad I came across this thread. I was ready to tear into Charcoal Canister and replace fuel fill lines altogether. It was very frustrating.

Here is a pic of my degraded hose.

Fuel Hose.JPG

Question;
What is the part number for the 10mm bolts I’ll need to replace? As the OP states they’re one time use items.
PS thanks for the OP starting the thread and for the the gent who posted the part number.
(Can I just get new bolts at the hardware store?)
Did anyone else need to get new bolts and know what size? Looking to get this done all at once and not multiple trips to the store.
Thanks!
For 1998-2002 it looks like the three screws are p/n 91626-B0822 according to this diagram: FUEL TANK & TUBE[FUEL TANK ILLUST NO. 1 OF 2(9801-0208) ] TOYOTA LAND CRUISER [UZJ100] (NORTH AMERICA)

They are p/n 91651-B0820 for later years, check the diagrams: FUEL TANK & TUBE[FUEL TANK ILLUST NO. 1 OF 2(0208-0505) ] TOYOTA LAND CRUISER [UZJ100] (NORTH AMERICA)

The hose clamps are p/n 90460-46003 for all years.

Replaced my hose with same failure with supposed OEM. Less than a year later my tank would not fill - I reached up under to feel the hose and the damn thing exploded in my hand, blowing gasoline backed up in the line all over the hot exhaust with me under the vehicle- time to find a better replacement hose. I also noticed the whole area is super hot, the red breather line clip is actually melted- I just went over the Saddle Rd (about) 8-10K' with a full tank - I'm guessing ethanol, heat, amount of gas in tank, and altitude play into this issue. The new one felt like a deteriorated soda bottle cracking in my hand. Hoping I can source an alternative fast.

Replaced my hose with same failure with supposed OEM. Less than a year later my tank would not fill - I reached up under to feel the hose and the damn thing exploded in my hand, blowing gasoline backed up in the line all over the hot exhaust with me under the vehicle- time to find a better replacement hose. I also noticed the whole area is super hot, the red breather line clip is actually melted- I just went over the Saddle Rd (about) 8-10K' with a full tank - I'm guessing ethanol, heat, amount of gas in tank, and altitude play into this issue. The new one felt like a deteriorated soda bottle cracking in my hand. Hoping I can source an alternative fast.

That is terrifying! I'm glad you are OK. Where did you buy the dangerous hose?

OEMPartSource.com - Hoping the other thousand of dollars in parts I've purchased from them are legit. Installed mid April - blew out today. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

OEMPartSource.com - Hoping the other thousand of dollars in parts I've purchased from them are legit. Installed mid April - blew out today. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Well - this turned out me being too lazy to go into depth looking at the exhaust for leaks. The top off muffler had rot at the seam, thus firing some hot exhaust into the area.

This issue just popped up out of nowhere for me.

I don't have experience with the fuel system so I'm not sure if I should poke around in there. According to a lexus technician they would have to drop the gas tank....the posts here show otherwise. Grrr...

As of now I'm trickling gas in and I mean TRICKLING.

Has anyone been able to at least increase the flow without pulling things apart?

This issue just popped up out of nowhere for me.

I don't have experience with the fuel system so I'm not sure if I should poke around in there. According to a lexus technician they would have to drop the gas tank....the posts here show otherwise. Grrr...

As of now I'm trickling gas in and I mean TRICKLING.

Has anyone been able to at least increase the flow without pulling things apart?
NO - The plastic inside is solid and can crack sending debris into fuel system - and if you are unlucky like me you have an exhaust issue causing it and it could POP on you (DID on me with hot exhaust at a gas station when I gave it a squeeze after second failure) look for melted plastic attachments, heat on the rear deck, use a temp gun under the truck - feel up on top off muffler when cold - I could not see the gaping hole on top seam and bottom off muffler looked cherry- Easy to replace with the spare tire removed. No gas tank to drop - couple hose clamps to loosen and arm strength. Use some silicone grease to get the new hose on. Make sure you don't have any little leaks in exhaust, my guess this is the cause of the inner plastic melting/deforming in the hose for everyone. You can also go to a hydraulic shop to purchase a short length of fuel hose for probably less than $10 bucks - but the size that fits tight is about 10x harder to get in place because it's stronger and without the ribs for compression. If your tank fill lines bolts aren't too rusty you can loosen them to get even more play.

Thank you for your response @Joshman

Interesting you mention the exhaust leak as I have just recently developed one within the last month or so.

This has me concerned - I have about a 300 mile trip back home coming up on Sunday. I'm not sure if it would be wise to pull things apart here and potentially cause a bigger problem that I can't ameliorate. I wish I had a more experienced mechanic friend!

I certainly hope the heat doesn't cause a complete failure during my trip (I'm glad to hear you weren't injured btw)

It’s pretty straight forward to swap the hose going into the tank. 2 banana job. I didn’t have to drop the tank.

So I have been living with this after a few unsuccessful hose swaps, I just wedge a pocket knife into the gas pump to get it to just trickle in. the proceed to wash every window, check the oil, make a sandwich, etc.

Tell me more about this muffler leak- so you had a leak on yours, which got the fuel system hot, and that's what you say caused this? I'm unclear on the solution here. Also what popped?

The exhaust leak is worrisome - I should have noticed when it sounded slightly louder or when my reverse cam quit (new). I just thought I had a bad connection or cam (though in my head that didn't make sense as I sealed all connections), let it go for a couple weeks then amp shutdown. Found the wires melted under the carpet - and carpet melted to floor = exhaust leak. You can get exhaust patch at most auto parts stores - its a total PIA and a mess (wear goggles unless you like rust in your eyeballs) to apply above the muffler as a bandaid, but it sets up once it gets hot and you can drive right away - also gotta make sure that you don't have multiple holes - patching one could make the other one missed put out more heat - or find exhaust shop to cut out the muffler and straight pipe to res (sounds good IMO). The tank hose should be able to wait if you can get gas in it very slowly - backups and then slowly leaks in. Just don't go squeezing it or messing with it unless you have the hose and some tools (rust releaser of choice, screwdrivers - socket set, etc) to replace it - It is a shade tree job though - no biggy.

So I have been living with this after a few unsuccessful hose swaps, I just wedge a pocket knife into the gas pump to get it to just trickle in. the proceed to wash every window, check the oil, make a sandwich, etc.

Tell me more about this muffler leak- so you had a leak on yours, which got the fuel system hot, and that's what you say caused this? I'm unclear on the solution here. Also what popped?
Yes - muffler looked great from the ground but the rear seam on muffler must have rotted from inside out, which sits right under the fill hose. My exhaust looked great from below -so I was figuring ethanol was the culprit to collapsed plastic in hose.

The actual fill hose section burst because I was pissed I had just replaced, so I gave it a squeeze after the pump shut off at gas station at 1/2 gallon (figuring I could tell if inner plastic tube was disfigured by touch outer rubber) instead in popped and sent all the backed up gas in the metal fuel filler rushing out onto the hot exhaust under the vehicle and all over my arm. Lucky day for me no fire.

Thank you for your response @Joshman

Interesting you mention the exhaust leak as I have just recently developed one within the last month or so.

This has me concerned - I have about a 300 mile trip back home coming up on Sunday. I'm not sure if it would be wise to pull things apart here and potentially cause a bigger problem that I can't ameliorate. I wish I had a more experienced mechanic friend!

I certainly hope the heat doesn't cause a complete failure during my trip (I'm glad to hear you weren't injured btw)
You could always use some of that heat wrap tape material they use on headers and wrap the area of concern. That will abate much of the heat for your trip until you have time to do a proper inspection.

I wanted to bring this thread back up again. I had the same thing happen on my 100 series at 185000 miles, it just started about 3 weeks ago and it would take 20 minutes to fill up. It only took about 15 minutes to replace. Here is a picture of
CC47EECC-F7B5-4817-A261-345D6289560E.jpeg
CC47EECC-F7B5-4817-A261-345D6289560E.jpeg
the part number again.

I had this issue pop up on mine intermittently (like twice in the past year) so I replaced mine as well. The old one looked fine, but maybe since it happened intermittently, it was restricted intermittently. Or maybe I just went to two bad pumps, who knows. Thought I’d throw my bit of data into the pile.
13D3451F-7DCE-477F-B91F-1D2364D3AD5C.jpeg

i replaced that piece twice (thanks to this thread for diagnosing) BUT as was mentioned a couple posts ago -- make sure to check for exhaust leaks or sources of heat that are causing the tube to deform. i replaced mine, and then had the same slow fill happen. checked muffler and there were a couple holes that must have been baking that area. new muffler and hose, and all's well for ~1yr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom