Gas smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just purchased a fj60 1985
and I cant help but smell gasoline when I drive, how could I fix that?

It may be the charcoal cannister on the passenger-side wheel well. When those start to fail/over saturate from age they don't vent properly and can spew gas fumes.

check you gas cap and don't over fill

Where is the charcoal filter located?
And I did just fill it up all the way, I put an aftermarket gas tank that holds 36 gallons so maybe thats it

Did you buy the one from MAF ?

I bought it off Craigslist
Im just making it a DD
I want it to be in optimum condition

Check the breather hoses in the rear right panel (in cargo area). Sometimes they get loose and release some fumes.

If the smell is outside the car, then I would check and re-check your installation of that new fuel tank

The gas cap seems brand new, but ill buy a new one just in case

I just diagnosed the same problem on my 60. It looks like it is near the fuel pump... I got a bit of wet fuel on my hand from under it... Could be the line, the pump or just one of those needing to be tigtened down.
Check the simple stuff first.

Well, I just purchased a fj60 1985
and I cant help but smell gasoline when I drive, how could I fix that?

I chased gas smell for a month or more, finally figured out it was the following:

Check the filler spout, look at the bottom of the opening where you stick the gas nozzle. Mine is worn out from God only knows how many nozzles stuck in there. The tab that holds the cap on is gone and the cap won't seal. What I'm going to do is cut the top off the spout and weld a screw type nozzle on top of it.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I bought another gas cap, pulled the gasket, double that onto the old cap and push hard when I screw it on. Solved the problem but it's short term.

What I'm going to do is cut the top off the spout and weld a screw type nozzle on top of it.

Need we say: "be careful welding on the fuel system"...?:doh:

Need we say: "be careful welding on the fuel system"...?:doh:

Actually, I have a second spout I bought used from SOR that's almost as screwed up as the one on the rig. I'll do the cutting, welding and whatnot off the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom