Garage floor is an ice rink!!?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys

I recently bought a house with great 3 car garage. Before the owner moved out, he fixed up lots of the house to increase the sales value. As part of these improvements, he painted the garage floor using the typical Epoxy garage floor coating with speckles. I thought it was great!! UNTIL..... We started walking on the floor in the winter with melted snow and water from the cars. At that point, the floor is a death trap. It is as slick as ice (every pun intended). Same is true during the summer rains or the water from the A/C units under the cars. Everyone in the family, including the kids have busted the arse on this floor either walking into the garage or stepping out of the SUV's.

When I started to really examine the floor, I see that the previous owner added a clearcoat over the epoxy and speckles. The clearcoat is not recommended for outdoor floors but can be used in a basement or interior shop floor. Even the website for the manufacturer says "may make floors slippery".

My question to you gents... how the heck to do I remove the clear coat? A floor sander? Chemical peel? I assume I will mess up the expoxy no matter what I do?

I am trying not to pay someone to remove the current paint and to put another expoxy coat on but I am not sure how to keep my kids and family safe.

Thoughts?

I'll be watching this thread. Mine's slick as hell when wet, too.

Might want to try another application of a compatible clear coat and sprinkle on some fine silica sand. Used as non-skid on boats. Apply when finish is wet and broom off excess after curing.

Might want to try another application of a compatible clear coat and sprinkle on some fine silica sand. Used as non-skid on boats. Apply when finish is wet and broom off excess after curing.

X2. Or repaint in the color of epoxy you want and you can buy the silica in a pack at Lowe's to add directly to one gallon of epoxy, then roll on. You don't have to sprinkle it then.

Not that there isn't lots of expertise on this forum but you might want to ask that question over at Garagejournal.com. They have a specific section for garage floor questions.

I have the epoxy with the flakes in my 3 car garage but it doesn't get very slippery when wet - for whatever reason. I have no idea what system was used as the builder had it installed when he built the house (house was a parade home with lots of extras).

Not that there isn't lots of expertise on this forum but you might want to ask that question over at Garagejournal.com. They have a specific section for garage floor questions.

I have the epoxy with the flakes in my 3 car garage but it doesn't get very slippery when wet - for whatever reason. I have no idea what system was used as the builder had it installed when he built the house (house was a parade home with lots of extras).

The guy who owned my home put clear coat on the floor which you did not. That is why mine is an ice rink.

X2. Or repaint in the color of epoxy you want and you can buy the silica in a pack at Lowe's to add directly to one gallon of epoxy, then roll on. You don't have to sprinkle it then.

Will a fresh set of epoxy stick to the clearcoat already on the floor? I would think it would pull up if the shine wasn't stripped off the floor first. At least that is the way it is on cars, bikes and other crap.

If we assume that I cannot find the can of clear coat that was used, how do I find a "compatible" clear coat?

If wanted to do the floor all over again, should I scuff it down first? or just wash a paint?

For compatibility, try a sample on a small section and just look for an adverse reaction like wrinkling or non adhesion.

I would scuff it up with some medium-course sandpaper prior to another application. Then clean it good.

For compatibility, try a sample on a small section and just look for an adverse reaction like wrinkling or non adhesion.

I would scuff it up with some medium-course sandpaper prior to another application. Then clean it good.

This is what I am thinking which means I should just do the full color coat not just clear with sand. In other words, do it right the first time.

What device would you use to scuff a floor that big? Floor sander from a rental shop?

Cool site

Link---->>>>>The Garage Journal

I'm off to search for info on staining concrete floors.

The guy who owned my home put clear coat on the floor which you did not. That is why mine is an ice rink.

I just looked at my floor. I do have clear coat over the chips (which are over/in the epoxy) but there isn't so much that all the texture provided by the chips is gone.

Have you considered asking the manufacturer?

I dont' know which manufacturer made the floor coating I have. I just looked up Epoxy FLoors that Home Depot Sells

Will a fresh set of epoxy stick to the clearcoat already on the floor? I would think it would pull up if the shine wasn't stripped off the floor first. At least that is the way it is on cars, bikes and other crap.

Not sure since we do not know what product was used. I would test it in a small area first and if it is as slick as you say, it will probably have to be scuffed some before a new coat goes down.

EDIT: like Capt Jim says

Thanks boys. I think I am going to try the liquid sand paper and no re-coat it with slip resistent paint. There are parts of the floor where the paint is already coming up due to bad prep work on the concrete so I am going to take the shine off to keep my kids from busting their arse and then re-paint next spring when the stock market rebounds (hopefully).

Thanks for all the help Gents

There are floor strippers made to remove the finish. I would try one of those. f it takes up the epoxy, so be it. It would not have lasted anyways.

I don't think Liquid Sandpaper is going to touch epoxy. I would rent a floor buffer and scuff it with a ScotchBrite pad. When you coat it use a broadcast spreader to apply the silica(pool filter sand looks great.)
GL

I wonder if lolo and liam will rekindle their love on soberman's garage floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom