FJ60 Lift - Minimum Ceiling Height Required? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Just as the title says - I'm designing a garage, and I finally get to put in a lift. Going 2-post as space is a consideration, and most of my work will be wheel rotation, brakes, etc. - need the wheels accessible.

The cruiser is the tallest car I own. Others are an 89 911 and an 03 bmw 540 wagon. both lowered. I'm not looking to get a true workshop lift - stand under it and reach up to do the work. Just tired of worming my way under the trucks and cars on a piece of cardboard.

How high do I need my ceiling to be? And are there any suggestions on lifts? I'm looking at BendPak and Rotary, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

How high do I need my ceiling to be? And are there any suggestions on lifts? I'm looking at BendPak and Rotary, but open to other suggestions.

Most two-post lifts have uprights that are 12' and change. My Dannmar lift is under a 14' (apex) roof in my shop.

I'm in the process of selecting 2 post lifts as well. From the research I've done, you need just over 12' for most 10k lifts, and 14'+ for most 12k lifts. I was looking at both Bendpak and Rotary and will likely go with a set of Rotary SPO 12s. If I only had the cruisers, a 10k would be fine, but we plan on adding a HD diesel truck in the near future.

The top beam of the lift will be the limiting factor, not vehicle height, but the taller the lift can go, the easier it is to stand upright under a tall vehicle.

The top beam of the lift will be the limiting factor, not vehicle height, but the taller the lift can go, the easier it is to stand upright under a tall vehicle.
There are also the floor plate lifts for low headroom such as this (internet photo):
Floor Plate Lift.png

You're still limited by the height the lift will go up plus the vehicle height. And, of course, you don't have to lift the vehicle all the way to the top extent.

The Shop I'm at has three lifts. Two with top beams and one with the floor plate. I have to say that the floor plate does have its issues. First, trying to roll a non-powered vehicle onto the lift (over the floor plate) can be challenging at times. It's amazing how much that little bump can resist getting a vehicle across it - sort of like how creepers, floor jacks, and engine hoists get stuck on the smallest thing. Then, even if you can drive in over the floor plate, if you're working from a shop stool or creeper you're invariably going to hit that plate. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a stool, pushed myself backwards, and fell over that damn plate!

There are also the MaxJax portable lifts if headroom is really a concern. You can also unbolt the lift and move it out of the way if it is your standard suburban garage and space is at a premium.

MaxJax.jpg

But if you're designing a shop, I'd design around the lift that you want to accommodate unless there are other concerns like zoning ordinances limiting the height of your building or similar constraints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom