(Future) Product Review and Install Assistance - High Output Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would post regarding a high output alternator I picked up from a local shop to me. Pretty stoked to see how it does and will look to get it installed in the coming month or so (a lot of projects currently in the cue) and keep this updated on its performance. Thought it could add some options for those out there looking for alternatives and can’t wait for the sequoia alternator bracket to resurrect in the market.

4EB4D9CC-47E2-4218-B675-EC81B25C56E8.jpeg

However - im looking for some assistance regard connection. My understand from reading some of the other forums that the simplest method perhaps for effective install is to add a cable in parallel to the battery for the additional amperage. My only question that remains is around fusing this for the safest setup (electrical stuff doesn’t come quite natural in this head of mine) - I believe I should be adding a fuse inline in the addition cable? The new alt will be putting out 180 amps so my understand is that I can add a fuse around that amperage.

To note I did already do the key cable upgrades from @Fourrunner Great product!

Your new alternator puts out 120% more current than the OEM unit. You best make sure that all cable/connectors/terminations are properly rated for that amount of current.
If you're going to follow the OEM cable path, make sure to change out the MAIN fusible link which is 100amp.

I installed a 270A DC power alternator and absolutely love it. Dropped right in. I also installed a dual battery system(DVS) with upgraded cables (HuddExpo) at the same time.

Your new alternator puts out 120% more current than the OEM unit. You best make sure that all cable/connectors/terminations are properly rated for that amount of current.
If you're going to follow the OEM cable path, make sure to change out the MAIN fusible link which is 100amp.

Thanks @jonheld - that’s helpful and I think I got that covered as far as the new conductors and replacement of the existing. I have future upgraded conductors for the alt to battery in the books.

I thought there was a way to maintain the existing fusible link - is that not the case? If there isn’t, then I guess I really do suck at understanding this lol.

I am a diagram guy (and can imagine others are as well) so I plan to sketch up my plan and anticipated routing for a sanity check.

I installed a 270A DC power alternator and absolutely love it. Dropped right in. I also installed a dual battery system(DVS) with upgraded cables (HuddExpo) at the same time.
glad to hear a happy customer!

DC Power is nice but $$$ i've used them on my stereo builds when I used to compete
Yeah, price tag is not for the faint of heart….

But all things considered for me it was a great option. This is a recreation vehicle and if I have issues with it I can walk right up to their shop door as it’s 10mins away for service. Might be more challenging for the folks with daily drivers.

I figured I could end up near the price if I went with the sequoia option. Not a bad option either, but I couldn’t wait for the bracket it needed…so I went this option instead.

Strictly speaking, the alternator will not output 180A 99% of the time it is spinning unless there is 80A additional current storage and draw - at the same time - while the engine is running.
Mainly due to safe charge rates of batteries.
So imo the factory 100A link will be fine for 99% of the time the engine is running.
Carry spares and design well the architecture that supports the mods which consume that extra current. Make their isolation from the factory power supply quick and sure.
If it turns out you need more fuse-able current, then upgrade.
+1 on parallel alt to batt cables or larger gauge single cable replacement regardless.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. We use them for our Trophy Truck alts.. I looked on their site, and they don't list a part for the FZJ80.

@Brav - the 180 Amp Part Number is 13497-180-HP 👍🏼

Thanks. I wonder if they will spec a higher charging voltage? I will have dual AGMs. I think one advantage for AGM users would be if we could get a higher/more appropriate charging voltage.

Thanks. I wonder if they will spec a higher charging voltage? I will have dual AGMs. I think one advantage for AGM users would be if we could get a higher/more appropriate charging voltage.
It does push a higher charging voltage of 14.8V. This was a requirement of mine as I run dual AGM batteries.

Charging voltage with alternator running should be between 13.5 and 14.5. I have dual Northstar AGM's in my 80 with a Denso 110 amp alternator made for a 79 series 1hz and have no problems.

My dual Odyssey Extreme AGMs like a 14.7V charging voltage, per manufacturers recommendation, so that’s what I give them.

Anyone know if DC Power is the same as Autotech? Seems unlikely there would be two high-output aftermarket alt makers in Riverside, CA, unless they are or were related...

Anyone know if DC Power is the same as Autotech? Seems unlikely there would be two high-output aftermarket alt makers in Riverside, CA, unless they are or were related...
Having looked autotech up, they are both different. On either side of town.

Having looked autotech up, they are both different. On either side of town.
One could be a mailing address? Just curious...

UPDATE: Def not the the same outfit.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. We use them for our Trophy Truck alts.. I looked on their site, and they don't list a part for the FZJ80.
They do now. :) Specs (and links) in this thread:

Last edited:
They do now. :) Specs (and links) in this thread:

Perfect! just bought one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom