Funky chicken EDIC issue persisting :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Experiencing some funky chicken in my EDIC system on my 3B and can’t seem to find what’s causing it. I’ve taken off my engine block grounds other wires that are easy access and sanded and cleaned them down, I’ve even taken apart my fuel control relay to see if there was any corrosion on it and nothing. The problem is still persisting. Any idea on what this could be? It seems less intermittent and more consistent when accessories are on (headlights, heater etc) I would love to solve this as it’s a pain in the @$$ :(

Thanks in advance!

Maybe some more specifics to the symptoms your experiencing?

So does it shut down the engine?

Try an alligator clip from the frame to the FCR housing. I know the W/B wire is a ground but the housing also grounds via the housing. Just did this and my FCR stopped random cycling....

Maybe some more specifics to the symptoms your experiencing?

My EDIC randomly cycles intermittently when driving. Not enough to stall but to just enough to choke the engine for a split second when driving and then continues back to normal operating. Seems to happen more frequently when my lights are on but there is no rhyme or reason to the EDIC cyclings consistantsy.

Try an alligator clip from the frame to the FCR housing. I know the W/B wire is a ground but the housing also grounds via the housing. Just did this and my FCR stopped random cycling....

So you’re essentially adding a second ground to the fuel relay? Correct?

When i had this issue recently i fixed by cleaning up the battery terminals, made sure all connections were solid and also added another beefy ground wire. make sure your batteries, engine, body and frame are all grounded

Running a 2nd ground wire from the EDIC housing on the engine to the frame is a great way to see if it's the ground wiring, in addition to the wiring and battery terminal care mentioned above.

Been so lone since I've been into the system on the BJ42 I do not recall if the Fuel Control Relay by the glovebox grounds through the body or the wiring harness.

How does your oil pressure gauge work when the funky chicken happens? Oil level is good, oil pressure is above minimum? I don't recall off the top which of the two senders feeds the signal to the Fuel Control Relay, but might be worth taking both of the connections off, cleaning up the contact points and reattaching.

Don't think this will be your issue but in the spirit of ideas, has anyone been into the EDIC at any time? The contact plate at the bottom on mine had migrating grease that would interrupt the cycles. It created a more of a no start and no stop situation though. Single Connector EDIC Motor Interchangeability 2H & 3B; 24 & 12 volt

hth's
gb

Last edited:
Have you checked your oil?? If there is low oil pressure it sends a signal to the fuel.control relay to shut the engine off

I opted to bypass the EDIC on my BJ41 and install a pull stop knob. It works swell and eliminates some gadgetry that in my opinion serves little benefit.

In respect to the funky chicken this may hasten the deterioration of your diaphragm. I swamped my relay for a couple of hours but everything ran fine for a while and then the chicken appeared.
So changed the diaphragm, disconnected the EDIC while I sorted this out, used a stout wire coming out under the hood to manually pull the fuel lever forward to shut her down.
After cleaning and tinkering I bought a Manual Push Pull Tractor Cable which luckily is still sitting on the PS floor because I wanted to stop the engine from inside. Now luckily for me as I am traveling I came across an old fashioned TV repair guy who soldered my hunch issue and hallelujah my FCR is back in business!
Best part was he refused payment, did give him coffee money.
20190729_110817.jpg

Last edited:
Btw
Careful when live testing as you can start the engine from the FCR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom