Full width axle front shackle mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for pics of how someone did their rear shackle mount for full width front axle. I have Dana 60 under my FJ40 but only mounted in the front I haven’t figured out how I want to do shackle mount. I appreciate any help I can get

I’m looking for pics of how someone did their rear shackle mount for full width front axle. I have Dana 60 under my FJ40 but only mounted in the front I haven’t figured out how I want to do shackle mount. I appreciate any help I can get
It gets goofy if you want to try and keep it low and shackle through the frame. After having two shackle reversed FJ40's and two factory shackle in front FJ40's, I personally would stay shackle in front. I am actually going to go back to shackle in front using leaf spring sliders on my '77 which is a dedicated trail rig. Shackle in front is much better for crawling, as when there is traction, the axle & leaf springs "pulls" the truck forward, versus in shackle reversed situation the axle and leaf springs "push" the front of the truck. The axle is trying to walk out from under your vehicle with a shackle reversal. For flat leaf springs, I think the ride quality change is negligible for a shackle reversal.

I'm not full full width, but you can see here what I did for a shackle reversal with out boarded leafs and FJ60 axles.

It gets goofy if you want to try and keep it low and shackle through the frame. After having two shackle reversed FJ40's and two factory shackle in front FJ40's, I personally would stay shackle in front. I am actually going to go back to shackle in front using leaf spring sliders on my '77 which is a dedicated trail rig. Shackle in front is much better for crawling, as when there is traction, the axle & leaf springs "pulls" the truck forward, versus in shackle reversed situation the axle and leaf springs "push" the front of the truck. The axle is trying to walk out from under your vehicle with a shackle reversal. For flat leaf springs, I think the ride quality change is negligible for a shackle reversal.

I'm not full full width, but you can see here what I did for a shackle reversal with out boarded leafs and FJ60 axles.

I appreciate the info. I am trying to keep it semi low and get caster on the dana 60 I realize I may end up with shims to correct it but I am going to see what I can come up with.

Thanks again

Search "outboarding" leafs and/or shackles -
I did search an looked thru loads of stuff. I seen lots of outboard mounts with FJ60 axles but not a really clear picture of rear shackle mounts for Dana 60 full width.

I made some custom frame outriggers to put a full width SDD60 under my 4runner. I did slider boxes but the same style outriggers could be used for your shackle or spring mounts. Its in my build, post#6.

Thanks for the suggestions fella's I have come to the conclusion I really wanted the mount higher then just welding an outrigger on and mounting so Ive been building mounts that will put the center bolt of the shackle out boarded and raised so the center bolt is 2 3/4 in from bottom of original frame rail. I am seriously trying to help my caster a lot. Ill have pics of install later this week/weekend. Appreciate the ideas again. Thanks

Kinda like this? I have outboarded springs and FJ60 axles, but same basic idea. My build thread (which I haven’t updated in forever) has more pics, search for Fugly’s Yota.

8A0F3928-9EEC-4A49-BE10-3A01396A9A12.jpeg

EF12A810-DD7B-4858-8E2F-A2AFB6AFFB08.jpeg

2FD468A0-4381-4B9A-902E-9EC0FA4D7470.jpeg

42CCD80F-37EE-43EE-95C8-2798ACD38C79.jpeg

9F2E3EB1-0FD3-4BF4-82D3-432364F0F5DA.jpeg

Kinda like this? I have outboarded springs and FJ60 axles, but same basic idea. My build thread (which I haven’t updated in forever) has more pics, search for Fugly’s Yota.

View attachment 2985765

View attachment 2985766

View attachment 2985767

View attachment 2985768

View attachment 2985769
Yes kind of except I am running a shackle reversal that is why I am trying to get my shackle mount as high as I can to get a decent caster angle on my Dana 60.

Thank you for the pics I honestly never thought about mounting the shackle above the frame now I have to rethink my mounts...

View attachment 2985765

View attachment 2985766

View attachment 2985767

View attachment 2985768

View attachment 2985769
Love it. Is your truck on the road now? How does that shackle setup function? It looks like you may not be utilizing all available droop as the shackles hit the frame before the axle drops all the way out? Just curious how it works, not a criticizing statement at all. Love seeing different solutions to the same problems.

Love it. Is your truck on the road now? How does that shackle setup function? It looks like you may not be utilizing all available droop as the shackles hit the frame before the axle drops all the way out? Just curious how it works, not a criticizing statement at all. Love seeing different solutions to the same problems.
It is on the road. The driveshaft starts loosing itself at 55-60 mph but suspension seems totally fine. Haven’t gotten it in the rocks much yet but have done some fire roads and whoops and so far so good. I figured I’d try this to get the pivot point higher up on the frame to help roll center and to keep everything low. I’m running FJ60 front springs with the larger bushings. It will droop out a little more than 90 degrees, and I haven’t bottomed it out yet. But again, needs more testing and probably some experimenting with springs and shackle lengths over time to tune it in. Recent pics:

0912852D-DC58-4B56-93BC-394FDF93383F.jpeg

02030A89-EA0B-4C30-8BC6-EE10B1E088A4.jpeg

Here is what I came up with. I kind of sectioned the frame. Believe it or not there are 17 pieces in this shackle mount and it is 3.5 inches higher than the bottom of the frame and widened to accommodate full width Dana 60 spring width. It turned out really well I think my caster angle is great and I am keeping the overall height lower than any other way and keep leaves in the front

A8426E13-80BC-4448-8C47-498779BD618E.jpeg

ABE110DC-9C06-41EC-B346-4637D2A6B567.jpeg

Can we get a shot from above and from the inside? Not sure what I am seeing here...

Can we get a shot from above and from the inside? Not sure what I am seeing here...
Yes I will get u picks it is the rear shackle hanger frenched into the frame to get my castor angle back and keep it as low as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom