Fuel Sock Replacement with Pictures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there a drain plug on these tanks? If there is, I would also highly recommend draining the tank completely using the drainplug. You will get an amazing amount of debris out of the tank.

Is there a drain plug on these tanks?

There is.

If you're planning on going that route, I would suggest doing it after the empty light comes on. Even after the empty light comes on, there's still 5 gallons in there, which is really quite a bit, especially if you're not expecting it.

There is.

If you're planning on going that route, I would suggest doing it after the empty light comes on. Even after the empty light comes on, there's still 5 gallons in there, which is really quite a bit, especially if you're not expecting it.
Agreed. Draining 15 gallons of gasoline is definitely no fun.

There is.

Next FAQ write up :confused: :D

One note/tip that was mentioned to me was to have your tank near full before changing the sock...Reason being I was told was reduce the amount of gas fumes present to a minimum...Although sounds like maybe a combo fuel tank drain and fuel sock replacement at the same time might be the ticket :steer:

Next FAQ write up :confused: :D

One note/tip that was mentioned to me was to have your tank near full before changing the sock...Reason being I was told was reduce the amount of gas fumes present to a minimum...Although sounds like maybe a combo fuel tank drain and fuel sock replacement at the same time might be the ticket :steer:

It's true that the more gas, the less fumes. Gasoline itself isn't flammable (or rather, isn't as flammable). You can pour gas on a fire to put it out. It's the fumes that are dangerous.

Not sure how to "drain" the tank of gas fumes. CO2 may be an option. Maybe just drop a bunch of dry ice into the tank and close it back up? :lol:

(Seriously though, don't try that, that's a bad idea!)

I also wonder about pouring something through the tank to "flush" out any grit/grime in the bottom. You'd want something that's liquid, won't react with the gasoline, preferably not horribly caustic/dangerous, and safe to run through the truck (though most would drain out through the bottom anyway).

I didnt think about the fumes ahead of time. However my tank was 3/4 full and there were very little fumes to speak of.

Ebag, next time you put your fire out with gasoline I would like to be there!!! That scares the blank outta me. Gotta have some brass ones for that move. :eek:

Not that I dont believe you, it would just be a cool trick to see.

I also wonder about pouring something through the tank to "flush" out any grit/grime in the bottom. You'd want something that's liquid, won't react with the gasoline, preferably not horribly caustic/dangerous, and safe to run through the truck (though most would drain out through the bottom anyway).

What about flushing with more gas? A little pricey but could reach the desired result with no effect on the system. :meh:

Ebag, next time you put your fire out with gasoline I would like to be there!!! That scares the blank outta me. Gotta have some brass ones for that move. :eek:

Not that I dont believe you, it would just be a cool trick to see.

It's best done with very small fires (such as a book of matches, or something similar), with a lot of gasoline poured directly on it.....and a fire engine standing by. :lol:

It's kinda a cool trick. You dump the gasoline on the fire (very rapidly of course), and it of course goes out. Wait a few minutes then hold a match over the gasoline (not touching it)...and woof. Really illustrates what's combustible with gas.

What about flushing with more gas? A little pricey but could reach the desired result with no effect on the system. :meh:

I was thinking maybe some alcohol. I've also heard of people using acetone. Either should be harmless in the quantities that'd be left in there, but would run through without needing to worry as much about fumes/explosions/etc.

I was thinking maybe some alcohol. I've also heard of people using acetone. Either should be harmless in the quantities that'd be left in there, but would run through without needing to worry as much about fumes/explosions/etc.

Dont you think it would take a pretty good amount? The bottom of the tank looks like it has some ridges where posibly foreign matter could hide. :meh:

Dont you think it would take a pretty good amount? The bottom of the tank looks like it has some ridges where posibly foreign matter could hide. :meh:

Probably. But a couple gallons of acetone isn't that expensive.

nice write up. do diesel rigs have socks too?

nice write up. do diesel rigs have socks too?

Thanks Phil O. Not sure about diesels. Maybe one of the other members can chime in. Although I would imagine there would still be an elementary need to filter fuel from the tank to the engine.

Great write up.

I've been meaning to do mine for a while but keep forgetting.
Just ordered all my stuff for this weekend.

Great write up.

I've been meaning to do mine for a while but keep forgetting.
Just ordered all my stuff for this weekend.

Thanks! Oh and HOO-RAH!

After all that work, cleaning it too, and no bling bling. The part # for the screws is 90159-50219, if you live in the salt belt I would suggest replacing these as well. Half came out with a cross point(you ever heard that term), the other half came out with a vice grips, thankfully. I don't like drilling and tapping holes in the gas tank.
Gas Tank access.jpg

Ugly sock, bling cover! Nice advice with the screws. Thanks!

For the record, I completed mine last week (with fuel filter - PITA). I scoped my tank through the hatch and was surprised how little build up of crud I had in there. Sock (no pics) was pretty bad, but I was expecting worse for 281k (looked a little better than yours Jack actually).

I have a huge feeling my miles are due to towing (front bumper notched, harness plug remains on the grill), or really nice PM from the original PO. My driveline items are in great shape for the miles.

The sock for the 93 is smaller. Sock changed and new tank in! My sock was dirty. I guess it was all those desert refueling! ;)

I haven't looked in my FSM or even on my truck but can someone tell me where the inline fuel filter is? Going to replace it this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom