Fuel Sock Replacement with Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PS inside fender area underneath.

Sounds like fun

Order your filter from Toyota it will ocme with replacement washers which you will need. The banjo bolts are a PITA :mad: to remove. I ended up actually bending the filter housing but got it done. Probably wouldve been easier with a breaker bar.

You don't recall the PN do you? The monkeys working the parts dept at my dealership tried to sell me an FZJ fuel sock telling me that all 80's from 91-97 were made the same.

You = The Man ordering now.

I haven't looked in my FSM or even on my truck but can someone tell me where the inline fuel filter is? Going to replace it this weekend.

Also make sure to crack the lines before unbolting the filter form the frame. The front R&P gets in the way, but it can be done. I too ended up twisting the "OUT" portion of the old filter.

Also make sure to crack the lines before unbolting the filter form the frame. The front R&P gets in the way, but it can be done. I too ended up twisting the "OUT" portion of the old filter.

"Crack the lines"? What does that mean?

That reminds me, also dont forget to relieve the pressure in the system by taking off/loosening the fuel cap.

"Crack the lines"? What does that mean?

What I meant was to loosen the lines before loosening the filter from it's housing. Kind of like loosening lug nuts before jacking the tire off the ground. Still work required, just less though.

FWIW, after I did my sock and inline filter, my idle RPM is nice and smooth. Probably would not have done the sock if it wasnt for Jack's pics and OCD influenced motivation to get it done. Didnt realize it was that easy, plus it gave me a chance to clean and add sound deadener to the cabin.

What I meant was to loosen the lines before loosening the filter from it's housing. Kind of like loosening lug nuts before jacking the tire off the ground. Still work required, just less though.

FWIW, after I did my sock and inline filter, my idle RPM is nice and smooth. Probably would not have done the sock if it wasnt for Jack's pics and OCD influenced motivation to get it done. Didnt realize it was that easy, plus it gave me a chance to clean and add sound deadener to the cabin.

I agree that removing the banjo bolts on the incoming and outgoing lines is easier if you do so before removing the bracket holding the filter in place. Good point elprup87.

The fuel sock is ridiculously easy. Just make sure when you do so you dont damage the floater or sending unit for "low fuel" indication.

My plan to have an advanced race of clean 80's is well on its way!

You don't recall the PN do you? The monkeys working the parts dept at my dealership tried to sell me an FZJ fuel sock telling me that all 80's from 91-97 were made the same.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Idiots!:) They are not the same. I just changed mine!

Jack:

You could just drop your tank! It is easy. This way you can clean it out well and away from the LC!:)

Jack:

You could just drop your tank! It is easy. This was you can clean it out well and away from the LC!:)

Nah. I was under there last weekend and I made a mental list of all the other **** I would have to clean if I went under there for that (you know, OCD). Luckily I have another 204K miles before I need to play with the sock again.

If that's too much for you...your speaker wiring is 20 years old now imagine the improvement in audio quality with new wiring :hmm:

I could imagine Jack's wife organizing a search for him one day if she ever forgets to look inside the truck.

Nah. I was under there last weekend and I made a mental list of all the other **** I would have to clean if I went under there for that (you know, OCD). Luckily I have another 204K miles before I need to play with the sock again.

I just changed all hoses, heater valve, valve cover gasket, fuel sock, tank :), radiator flush, extended rear axle "snorkel", the front I did 15 years ago! I did the fuel filter 2 years ago.

Now, I am moving on to my solar panel and a cargo box underneath! I have got to do something about my sand ladders!:)

If that's too much for you...your speaker wiring is 20 years old now imagine the improvement in audio quality with new wiring :hmm:

New HU, speakers and custom sub cabinet(s) coming this summer.

I could imagine Jack's wife organizing a search for him one day if she ever forgets to look inside the truck.

She drives it more than me. She is constantly on me to finish each project so she can get groceries, pick up the kids or get the dry cleaning. I am in NE this week for work and she has been driving it around and has informed me that there are some "noises" I need to check out when I get home. Here we are :deadhorse:

haha she's working on a checklist for you...I like her already!

Dont forget the steering wheel squeaks, slight air noise from sunroof when closed and shade open, steering wheel cracks, did I leave the stove on, etc, etc.:popcorn:

Actually for the steering wheel cracks I have found a fix (for me). Plan on getting that along in another thread here soon. :idea:

haha she's working on a checklist for you...I like her already!

She's great. Lets me spend the dough on my hobby and listens like she cares when I talk about mud with her.

Dont forget the steering wheel squeaks, slight air noise from sunroof when closed and shade open, steering wheel cracks, did I leave the stove on, etc, etc.:popcorn:
Actually I think this is a testament to how quiet the rig is after the bedlining and deadener. NOw she can actually hear everything.

Actually for the steering wheel cracks I have found a fix (for me). Plan on getting that along in another thread here soon. :idea:
Send me a PM when you post the thread. That sounds like a cool project. Curse you!:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom