Front Panhard rod bolt removal help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a secret to removing the top frame bolt for the front panhard rod? I got the bottom bolt out but the front is impossible, even with a HD impact gun, mine won't budge a bit. I'm to the point of using a nut splitter but the nut has a flat base so I don't know if the nut splitter will work either. I got a new nut and it looks like there are "teeth" on the base of the nut so I tried the bolt and even with a 4 foot cheater bar, it won't move at all. Any pointers out there? I have an adjustable panhard rod just sitting in the garage and my axle is definitely not centered at the moment. Please help!

I can't remember, but it does sound like the nut is staked. You'll definitely want to spend your time trying to loosen the bolt side. Spray a bunch of PB blaster on the nut area and hope that penetrates into the threads. If you get better leverage, you can try and tighten the bolt a little to break it free, then loosen it. If that doesn't work, heat up the nut with torch. (I just use a camping propane tank with a torch end fitting).

You punch it with a large hammer, but be sure to use a brass or aluminum bar so you don't distort the bolt/nut.

Good deal! Slather some Anti-Sieze on those puppies when you reinstall. Both panhard bolts torque to 130 ft#.

Use a floor Jack and a good breaker bar. Put the socket on the bolt head and use floor Jack to move the bar. Worked like a charm for me. That's a lot if weight working in your favor when done this way

Step 2: buy a better impact

Step 3. we're gonna need a bigger compressor.

Step 6
Step 4
Step 6

Or tried heating it with a rose bud torch.

Use a floor Jack and a good breaker bar. Put the socket on the bolt head and use floor Jack to move the bar. Worked like a charm for me. That's a lot if weight working in your favor when done this way
I thought I was ingenious!

I can't take credit guys, my dad is the genius on that one guys. I always run stuff past my dad when I'm stumped on my projects. He is my hero

I can't take credit guys, my dad is the genius on that one guys. I always run stuff past my dad when I'm stumped on my projects. He is my hero.

You don't turn the nut for those big suspension fixings.
You turn the bolt. Much easier.
I thought everybody new that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom