Front Driveshaft: 2 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months back I had a grinding noise at low speeds/ low to no load. After some help from you all I replaced the rear DS, with a new fully assembled Toyota DS, which solved the problem.

I called the dealer and couldnt get a definitive answer if the DS came fully greased so I added grease to both spiders and the sleeve yolk.
While it seems that you cant over-grease the spiders, Ive since read that you potentially need to be careful to not add too much grease to the sleeve yolk.

Question 1:
Anything I need to worry about or can do now? I havent noticed the truck driving any differently and it's been about 6 months.

In doing some reading here I have also discovered that the consensus is that the front DS should be 90 degrees out-of-phase. However, my '94 front DS is in-phase.
Having removed and installed my rear DS, I more or less know what to do. However, since the rear DS I installed was already fully assembled, Im uncertain how to achieve the 90 degree offset.

Question 2:
Once Ive removed the front DS, can I simply separate the sleeve yolk from the propeller shaft and re-insert it at a 90 degree offset?

Thanks all! 👍

A few months back I had a grinding noise at low speeds/ low to no load. After some help from you all I replaced the rear DS, with a new fully assembled Toyota DS, which solved the problem.

I called the dealer and couldnt get a definitive answer if the DS came fully greased so I added grease to both spiders and the sleeve yolk.
While it seems that you cant over-grease the spiders, Ive since read that you potentially need to be careful to not add too much grease to the sleeve yolk.

Question 1:
Anything I need to worry about or can do now? I havent noticed the truck driving any differently and it's been about 6 months.

In doing some reading here I have also discovered that the consensus is that the front DS should be 90 degrees out-of-phase. However, my '94 front DS is in-phase.
Having removed and installed my rear DS, I more or less know what to do. However, since the rear DS I installed was already fully assembled, Im uncertain how to achieve the 90 degree offset.

Question 2:
Once Ive removed the front DS, can I simply separate the sleeve yolk from the propeller shaft and re-insert it at a 90 degree offset?

Thanks all! 👍
A new Toyota drive shaft comes with assembly grease in the universals and slip yoke. You should always grease new universals and slip yokes. I like to separate the halves and slather the splines with fresh grease. Remove the grease nipple for the slip yoke and reassemble the halves, pushing all the excess grease out the hole. Reinstall the grease nipple and you're done.

If you're not getting vibrations from the front, leave it be. Or you can fix it until it's broken.

A new Toyota drive shaft comes with assembly grease in the universals and slip yoke. You should always grease new universals and slip yokes.
Thanks.
Are you saying that one should add *more* grease to a fully assembled DS, or that if you purchase the u joints and slip yokes separately they do not come greased and one would have to add grease?

Thanks.
Are you saying that one should add *more* grease to a fully assembled DS, or that if you purchase the u joints and slip yokes separately they do not come greased and one would have to add grease?
A new universal has assembly grease in the bearing caps to keep the needle bearings in place during assembly. It is a lightweight grease that is used for assembly, which is why it's called assembly grease. It is not meant for regular usage.
You should always add grease to a new universal joint. It makes no difference if the drive shaft is new or used.

A new universal has assembly grease in the bearing caps to keep the needle bearings in place during assembly. It is a lightweight grease that is used for assembly, which is why it's called assembly grease. It is not meant for regular usage.
You should always add grease to a new universal joint. It makes no difference if the drive shaft is new or used.
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

Many find the best way to grease the yoke is to separate the halves and get the splines by hand. I'm sure you're fine, but considering it's easy, if it were me I would go ahead and do that. Just make sure to take accurate note of orientation, or mark them, so they go back together the same way

Last edited:
You should be greasing the slip to where you expand the shaft about a 1/4”. That way when you start driving the grease is forced down the splines and out the seal. This results in a grease line either on the oil pan or the muffler, which will give off some odor.

The problem comes about when a neglected shaft gets greased properly and the grease can’t easily migrate out through the splines.

You should be fine.

If you look on the base of the slip yoke you will likely see a large weight welded to it. You have a 50/50 chance of rotating the yoke 90* in the correct direction.

Say your prayers.
So, you're saying... Dont mess with it and leave it in phase?

Many find the best way to grease the yoke is to separate the halves and get the splines by hand. I'm sure you're fine, but considering it's easy, if it were me I would go ahead and do that. Just make sure to take accurate note of orientation, or mark them, so they go back together the same way
I dont love the idea of dropping the rear DS again (living on a dirt road) but it sounds like it may be the best way to get the most life from it (esp since it's new).

I dont love the idea of dropping the rear DS again (living on a dirt road) but it sounds like it may be the best way to get the most life from it (esp since it's new).
You should be fine. With a new shaft and its fresh seal, you could do as Landtank says and move on with your life, hah

Thanks all!
Sounds like I will be ok with the way I am rolling now.
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience!
👍

Huh? I’m saying you have a 50/50 chance of rotating it 90* and being right.

How was that not conceived?
I didnt realize it would matter since there's no current vibration with it out of phase.

I didnt realize it would matter since there's no current vibration with it out of phase.
There are different levels of people’s “attention to detail”. In your case some would insist on a rebalance as the only acceptable path forward. Others, like you would rely on the seat of the pants response.

I was only giving you the most accurate information that I believe to be correct and you can decide what to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom