Front diff failure while on the highway? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
6 hours into a 12 hour trip, towing a 2,600 lb. travel trailer. I heard and felt a bang, much like a driveshaft thump or hard shift, but much harder. A few seconds later I felt a vibration and started to pull over. As I did both front tires locked up into a skid. The trans shifted fine, and t-case shifted fine. But any attempt at moving failed, the front tires would not budge.

I had it towed to a dealership, and continued the trip in a rented Tacoma (luckily the dealership had rental cars and allowed us to tow our trailer). Later they call and inform me that the front diff tore itself apart, and took the front driveshaft with it. Luckily they were able to find parts and fix it within 2 days, which was amazing, but it cost me $7k (rental truck included).

I've read about the weaker 2-pinion front diffs, but usually the failures involved some hard offroading. I live in Florida, we hardly have hills, or rocks. Is it possible to have a something go wrong over time? I've hard a hard "shift clunk" when going to D-N-R. I also had some vibration around 50-60mph after putting in an aftermarket cv axle. I recently changed a cv axle to a factory one, which helped some, but still clunked pretty hard and had a minor vibration. After the repair, the clunk and vibration are completely gone. Could the diff have had play in it somehow? And perhaps towing and accelerating on the highway exacerbated it into failure?

Last edited:
Did it run out of gear oil in the differential?

How many miles? When was it last serviced?

These forums have seen a lot of reported front diff failures which end up being a stripped out hub flange / CV axle instead. That would also explain your clunking into P-R-N-D. I bet if you search you could find several other forums where people have had the same failure at highway speed and think their trans / diff failed.
>> Not saying this is the case for you but just something to consider.

You mentioned swapping a CV for OEM, did you also replace the flange and find the appropriate sized C clip to tie it all back together?

The weaker front diff you are referring to usually shows it's true colors when bouncing the front end off road . Some have even reported it blows when reversing in snowy / hilly conditions and the front end is chopping around.

Unfortunetly it's too late to figure out exactly what happened to yours since they just rebuilt everything.

Year?

These forums have seen a lot of reported front diff failures which end up being a stripped out hub flange / CV axle instead. That would also explain your clunking into P-R-N-D. I bet if you search you could find several other forums where people have had the same failure at highway speed and think their trans / diff failed.
>> Not saying this is the case for you but just something to consider.

You mentioned swapping a CV for OEM, did you also replace the flange and find the appropriate sized C clip to tie it all back together?

The weaker front diff you are referring to usually shows it's true colors when bouncing the front end off road . Some have even reported it blows when reversing in snowy / hilly conditions and the front end is chopping around.

Unfortunetly it's too late to figure out exactly what happened to yours since they just rebuilt everything.
I've had the stripped out flanges before, and swapped out the cv axle and hub successfully. When that failed, it would make a grinding sound (spinning shaft) when put in drive, unless center diff lock was engaged. Which makes sense, with all open diffs the power goes to the path of least resistance.

After replacing this most recent cv axle, it showed zero play when shifting, so I didn't replace the hub. I watched the axle and hub while I had someone shift repeatedly, and could not visually see any play.
The front locking up sounds more like diff than CV c-clips, which is super weird for it to let go under those circumstances.
Agreed. With all diffs unlocked, even if a c-clip came off and the axle managed to get free of the hub, I can't imagine how that would lock the opposite side as well.

The front locking up sounds more like diff than CV c-clips, which is super weird for it to let go under those circumstances.
Dang yeah good point .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom