Front Bumper… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g rant

SILVER Star
Threads
Please merge if there is already a thread…

Looking to add a front bumper to my ‘16 200. I am looking for pros and cons of front bumpers on the market. I like the Slee Front Bumper along with the ARB options (Summit and Sahara).

If you have a ‘16+ and you love your front bumper please let me know. Trying to keep an open mind in this process.

TIA!

I have an ‘18 with the ARB Summit bumper. It has worked fine for me but I have always preferred the Slee design. I had the Slee Blueberry bumper on my old 100-series and wanted the same for the 200. The current Slee design wasn’t close to production at my purchase time so I opted for the Summit.

I still consider buying the Slee front and getting a new OEM front bumper to be recut.

I would only get an ARB bumper since they actually put R&D money into making it safe, but even then, the OEM bumper is the safest even with animal strikes. Saw a video by John Cadogan about bumpers.

The bumper for "you" is going to be what you are using your bumper for.

Some bumpers tuck up nice a tight and are better for rock crawling and better approach angles, SLEE, TJM, Rhino for example.

Other are better for brush and impacts but stick out father like ARB for example.

Also depends on your budget. I think a Rhino is $7 or 8k, while an ARB is around $2 or 3k

ARB, TJM, and I think Ironman are the only ones I know of which are Australian crash rated and aren't supposed to affect the airbag deployment sensors.

Lots of other options but you'll lose the crumple zones. If you want something aftermarket it really depends on your usage and amount you want to spend.

Rival4x4 also Australia rated. Any bumper sold in Australia is rated on those crash tests. I’m not sure though if it’s pass fail or they have a award scale.

The bumper for "you" is going to be what you are using your bumper for.

Some bumpers tuck up nice a tight and are better for rock crawling and better approach angles, SLEE, TJM, Rhino for example.

Other are better for brush and impacts but stick out father like ARB for example.

Also depends on your budget. I think a Rhino is $7 or 8k, while an ARB is around $2 or 3k

Yes, this ^

Also, the Rhino bumper is priced similar to the others, between $2k - $3k (if you order directly from the manufacturer in Argentina, which you should do by getting a quote via the WhatsApp link on their Argentinian website).

OP, if you can try and check out a bumper in person. They may look a lot different than you expect once they show up at your garage. The TJM, Ironman and ARB's are beefy as heck but are also LARGE.

My use case was:
  • I want better front approach angle
  • Winch mount
  • Sturdy but not overly heavy
  • Some headlight/brush protection
  • Enough to protection to limp home if I hit a dear (if I hit an Elk or moose, I'm not sure even an ARB is stopping that.)
  • Has appealing looks. I am not a fan of the helicopter landing pad sized bumpers (looking at you ARB.)
  • Didn't really care about how long it would take to get; or about being overly price conscious (the other stuff above was more important).
Based on the Above, I went with a Dissent with Bullbar.

20210709_144326.jpg

GL in your purchase, and go with what works for you!

OP, if you can try and check out a bumper in person. They may look a lot different than you expect once they show up at your garage. The TJM, Ironman and ARB's are beefy as heck but are also LARGE.

My use case was:
  • I want better front approach angle
  • Winch mount
  • Sturdy but not overly heavy
  • Some headlight/brush protection
  • Enough to protection to limp home if I hit a dear (if I hit an Elk or moose, I'm not sure even an ARB is stopping that.)
  • Has appealing looks. I am not a fan of the helicopter landing pad sized bumpers (looking at you ARB.)
  • Didn't really care about how long it would take to get; or about being overly price conscious (the other stuff above was more important).
Based on the Above, I went with a Dissent with Bullbar.

Misconception that the TJM is LARGE. Yes, the older TJMs and definitely the ARB and Ironman stick out FAR. Like 10+ inches from grill. They are huge. They were too big for my tastes. The TJM on the 200 Series is out from the grill about 4.5" and much lower profile upfront. It does stick out further on the sides, but they are accommodating a much larger 2.5" outer hoop (compared to what Dissent uses) which also has to match up clearance-wise to their side rails.

I think a lot of it is personal preference. A lot of good options out there. I personally liked the look of the TJM.

IPJDRsm.jpg

U9HpqIc.jpg

wPXjiiN.jpg

They are a stout bumper, TJM is very serious about their Bull Bars and has a facility set up to test all bumpers prior to production.
Being serious is not a quantitative data point……was hoping for some technical comparison from TJM direct.

This Bull Bar is a direct replacement for your stock bumper. there is no trimming or cutting involve
Is there data available for how safe the TJM bumper is? I don’t want to switch from stock because of safety concerns but I do actually like the TJM
and I am considering it.

Is there data available for how safe the TJM bumper is? I don’t want to switch from stock because of safety concerns but I do actually like the TJM
and I am considering it.

If you're concerned about safety, I'd stick with stock.

That being said, ARB and TJM are some of the few that actually do crash testing as they have the means. Below are a few TJM videos I found when researching bumpers.

TJM Bull bars Recovery Point Test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXlJrDyAYHk&ab_channel=TeamMagicKenya

Last edited:

That being said, ARB and TJM are some of the few that actually to crash testing as they have the means. Below are a few TJM videos I found when researching bumpers.

TJM Bull bars Recovery Point Test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXlJrDyAYHk&ab_channel=TeamMagicKenya

That video is very cool. Seems like small fabricators here in the US could use a similar design (i.e. slotted connection to the mount) to achieve similar results. Might not be US DOT/NHTSA approved but for absorption purposes would almost certainly be better than just bolting directly to the frame horns.

I do wonder how much hood etc damage occurs in this particular crash scenario, given how the TJM seems to tilt back as it slides, and TJM (unlike ARB) mounts much closer to the body/grill with no extra bumper material between the bumper and the grill

Wish there was a good looking cut back plastic after market solution, or something which can be installed under a cut back factory bumper like CBI has for the GX460 and LX 570 and not have to venture into big and heavy bumper. Obviously would not address protection from deer or otherwise, yet would keep it simple with no weight added.

I have ARB on mine. This is my 6th vehicle with an ARB bumper. They just make good quality bumpers and they are crash tested which was a selling point for me. But I also just prefer the look of the ARB. After damaging my stock rear bumper on this trip (below) I got the Slee rear bumper it is also excellent quality, I'm sure their front bumper is really nice too - every Slee product I have had is really quite nice. I think you'd be happy with either of those brands.

E8D5D699-392B-49D3-95A3-D4B932341299_Original.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Last edited:

That being said, ARB and TJM are some of the few that actually to crash testing as they have the means. Below are a few TJM videos I found when researching bumpers.

Concerned about safety in what regard? It depends, unfortunately. Manufacturers need to meet a number of specifications (pedestrian safety, crumple zones, etc). Stock is the best compromise that can be made. A steel bumper may provide more safety in some circumstances, similar to stock plastic.

What the general population doesnt appreciate is that crash ratings are only applicable for vehicles of similar weights. You’re crashing an object of a fixed weight into a solid object that is supposed represent energy absorption of “most crashes”. The kinetic energy is only what’s generated from that vehicle. A 7000# Cruiser has far more kinetic energy than a smaller vehicle.

Airbags deploy based on deceleration rate. A Cruiser hitting a smaller car will decelerate slower than its own crash test. Consequently, that small car will decelerate at a greater rate resulting in more damage and potential injuries to passengers.

I’ll take mass in a crash, every time.

If a bumper is sold in Australia is has to meet adr69.

Now what that MEANS for destructive testing, crash testing, and preservation of crumple zones 8 don’t know.

It is something, though.

Concerned about safety in what regard? It depends, unfortunately. Manufacturers need to meet a number of specifications (pedestrian safety, crumple zones, etc). Stock is the best compromise that can be made. A steel bumper may provide more safety in some circumstances, similar to stock plastic.

What the general population doesnt appreciate is that crash ratings are only applicable for vehicles of similar weights. You’re crashing an object of a fixed weight into a solid object that is supposed represent energy absorption of “most crashes”. The kinetic energy is only what’s generated from that vehicle. A 7000# Cruiser has far more kinetic energy than a smaller vehicle.

Airbags deploy based on deceleration rate. A Cruiser hitting a smaller car will decelerate slower than its own crash test. Consequently, that small car will decelerate at a greater rate resulting in more damage and potential injuries to passengers.

I’ll take mass in a crash, every time.

I was implying that if someone is very worried about safety (as poster said they don’t want to switch from stock because of safety concerns), not sure any company is going to have enough data to convince that person. Stick with a stock vehicle that has been thoroughly factory tested for piece of mind. I'm not debating the additional safety a steel bumper can provide. I have them on multiple vehicles. I see the advantages. My point was more saying an aftermarket bumper doesn't sound like it's a good solution for a person worrying about safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom