front bumper options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does any one out there offer a simple clean front bumper that will hold a winch that is inexpensive besides slee, arb, and tjm. thanks

define inexpensive?

If you name Slee, ARB, and TJM you are pretty much outlining your price expectations aren't you?

Define inexpensive? not sure how to answer that. i am used to driving a 40 where it is so simple and easy to get the neccessary mounting stuff to put a winch on so maybe i need to get over that and just spend the money. i'd rather not go with a hitch mounted one as that could hurt the approach angle and what not. i guess what i am trying to see is if there is any one out there who makes a winch bumper for 80's besides the 3 i listed. by inexpensive i guess i mean 250-400. and i do know tjm makes a farely inexpensive one but just wanted to see if there was anything else out there? well thanks

Find a used bumper? I got a Slee used for a reasonable price.

80s are not 40s. Toys cost more now.

Sorry to give ya bad news.

Slee is best for hardcore, ARB is next, TJM will do in a pinch, but is better for groceries.

Dan,
Fair enough. honestly i dont look aorund a whole lot at aftermakret stuff for 80's although i know what i want to do to the 80 and just wanted to know if there were any other suppliers out there. i owned my 1st 40 for like 4 months without ever hearing what Specter off road was so just wanted to check. thanks though. i guess if i am seriously worried about price and since i dont need anything emmediate i could keep an eye out for a used one maybe. thanks again though

Cruiserhead05,
The 40's are pretty exposed and easy and clean up front. Not so with the 80's. Plus, the 40's have been around for a long time whereas the 80's are just now becoming more popular wheeling trucks. In time, more will be available, but a guy like Christo will continue to refine his products. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that knows more about the 80 than him and therefore he can utilize that when he designs something new or improves what he has.

Most 40 bumpers are usually C channel, a little beefier if they add a winch, but pretty simple designs.

Warn(or ramsey) use to make a simple winch mount for a Cruiser, leaves the stock bumper on.

Landpimp, are you talking about a trailer hitch mounted on the front of the truck with a winch that could be taken on and off b/c i know that is an option but just not sure if i want to go that way. thanks. though i do recall looking through specters catalog and seeing and 80 with a simple mounting system on the front.

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=2;threadid=8665;start=msg74472#msg74472 date=1071160973]
Landpimp, are you talking about a trailer hitch mounted on the front of the truck with a winch that could be taken on and off b/c i know that is an option but just not sure if i want to go that way. thanks. though i do recall looking through specters catalog and seeing and 80 with a simple mounting system on the front.
[/quote]

no it was a fixxed mount, kinda like what you would see on a ford/chevy leaving the stock bumper on, just mounts around it. I'll see if I can find a pic of what I'm thinking of.

It is a basket mount that fits in a push bar looking thing. Garvin also made one at one time.

A properly built one-off custom will most likely exceed the cost of a Slee/ARB. My Stout Equipment bumper was in that same price window.

D-

alright guys i found out what you were talking about. it does allow you to keep the stock bumper and is like a heavy duty brush guard with a mount in the middle. this look like it will do a fine job without adding to much wait to the front of the 80. here is the link. its $350 which isnt bad.

http://www.autostyles.com/warntoyota.htm#’90–94 LANDCRUISER FJ80

Sorry for the hijack but Christo is around:

Christo,

I like your 5" lift and I would like to use it for my 97 rig but you are so far away from me. I tried to locate something similar in Australia but without success. If I don't find anything like yours, can you ship the whole set to me??? And is it very difficult to install??? I know it will costs something but I think your lift is it worth. Thanks.

Mike

that is cheap,i wanted a TJM T-17 originally,cause i didnt want the pipe up top,and could get it for 500.00 shipped from either desert rat or 4x4 connection. Junk says stay away from 4x4 connection.Since the ARB wasnt much more and seemed a bit stouter,i went with the ARB!!

its all good:

Cruiserhead05

Here is a couple of pictures that I posted a couple of weeks ago of my front mounted receiver that is mounted on top of the frame rails. The Warn Multimount or something else you could fabricate doesn't hang below the tube and would not impact the approach angle. I still prefer the ARB but if cost is an issue here is the solution. The best part is that you can move the winch front and rear, keep it stored safely inside and not have the constant weight up front that really requires and upgrade to the springs.

Pic_2.JPG

Pic_5.JPG

Hello PPC,

I would like more information on this-- did you make this, or is it a Warn item, I didn't quite follow what you said?

I made a custom version of this for my 4Runner, and it is great: cheap as hell (like $50 is parts), strong (stiffens up the frame as a bonus), and discreet. So, I have the plug-in 2" winch cradle all set to go.

Now I need one of these for the back as well, and I'll be in business.

Thanks,
Kenton

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=8665;start=msg74737#msg74737 date=1071191058]
Cruiserhead05

Here is a couple of pictures that I posted a couple of weeks ago of my front mounted receiver that is mounted on top of the frame rails. The Warn Multimount or something else you could fabricate doesn't hang below the tube and would not impact the approach angle. I still prefer the ARB but if cost is an issue here is the solution. The best part is that you can move the winch front and rear, keep it stored safely inside and not have the constant weight up front that really requires and upgrade to the springs.

Pic_2.JPG

Pic_5.JPG

[/quote]

Kenton,

I had this fabricated by a one-man welding shop a few years back. It took a little over an hour’s time to complete. It uses standard 6" channel and a prefabricated receiver. Originally I had it mounted below the stock bumper and found it to low. There were two little tabs that had to be cut off to get it to fit flat there, but a simple modification. Later I decided to flip it over and mount it on top of the frame rails, still using the existing captive nuts in the frame. I had to cut a small notch in the center grill sheet metal support and of course the bumper. It only protrudes about a 1/4" beyond the bumper. Looks good but would look even better with rounded corners on the bumper cutout. It can always be covered up with a license plate. It could be located in four positions, two below and two on top of the frame rails but the highest was the best spot to cut through on the bumper. Let me know if you need some dimensions or more pictures etc. its just sitting in the garage now collecting dust.

Yes, I would like dimensions and more pics. Judging by your Bo Schembeckler bobblehead, am I correct in guessing you're in the Midwest? How about selling yours (receiver that is, not Bo doll...)? I was just in A2 today; perchance, are you anywhere near campus?

It doesn't look easy to get the cross-pin in, however.

On the first-gen 4Runner, it's also easy to fab this up. I haven't yet taken the time to figure it out on the 80, but it looks like you've got it. I took 4x6" angle iron, 3/8" thick, about 20" long, fabbed in a 2.5x2.5" square tube with gussets (for the 2x2" receiver), removed the front-end lower skirt, cut a 1x2" notch in the bottom of the bumper, drilled holes in the angle iron to align with captive nuts in the frame and front crossmember, bolted it up and shazaam-presto, a place to hang a winch, that is strong enough to pull full-size Blazers, up-hill.

I also put in some shackle mounts:
newlr4.JPG

Thanks,
Kenton

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=8665;start=msg81385#msg81385 date=1072680963]
Kenton,

I had this fabricated by a one-man welding shop a few years back. It took a little over an hour’s time to complete. It uses standard 6" channel and a prefabricated receiver. Originally I had it mounted below the stock bumper and found it to low. There were two little tabs that had to be cut off to get it to fit flat there, but a simple modification. Later I decided to flip it over and mount it on top of the frame rails, still using the existing captive nuts in the frame. I had to cut a small notch in the center grill sheet metal support and of course the bumper. It only protrudes about a 1/4" beyond the bumper. Looks good but would look even better with rounded corners on the bumper cutout. It can always be covered up with a license plate. It could be located in four positions, two below and two on top of the frame rails but the highest was the best spot to cut through on the bumper. Let me know if you need some dimensions or more pictures etc. its just sitting in the garage now collecting dust.

[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom